Profile for shalee > Reviews

Where Memories Are Made
Where Memories Are Made
by Lynda Page

2.0 out of 5 stars Not for me., 12 Feb. 2015
Rather dull and predictable.

The Devil You Know
The Devil You Know
by Louise Bagshawe

3.0 out of 5 stars Same old, same old, 21 Jan. 2011
This review is from: The Devil You Know (Paperback)
This is unfortunately just a re-hash of some of her other novels. Far too much discription on clothes (as per some of her other books) and not enough of a decent plot. The book was fine as a light-hearted read but the final chapters were a big let-down and it all felt a bit rushed in the end.

Stolen
Stolen
by Lesley Pearse

3.0 out of 5 stars Not one of her best, 13 Aug. 2010
This review is from: Stolen (Paperback)
I have read all of Lesley Pearce's books to date and have enjoyed them all without exception - until now. I think this book is very poor by Lesley's standards and one of the irritating things that annoyed me was using the name "David Mitchell". I know that the comedian/writer David Mitchell actually put his name up to be used and all I could see and hear whenever his name was mentioned - was him. The storyline was poor and the characters were sterotyped - the quiet, pretty tragic heroine, her mouthy gutsy friend, the two gays, the macho man and the vile parents etc. One of the positives for me was the fact that the book was partly set in Brighton, which I happen to know very well, so I could at least engage with that part of the book. Hopefully Lesley will be back on form soon.

Bluebirds
Bluebirds
by Margaret Mayhew

5.0 out of 5 stars Best read, 11 Jun. 2010
This review is from: Bluebirds (Paperback)
This was the first Margaret Mayhew book that I've read and I absolutely loved it. I couldn't put it down and I can't wait to read all the others. The story telling is so accurate so I'm told - I'm too young to remember the war- but the characters are so well formed and so engaging that I felt as though I was actually experiencing WW2! This is one of the best books that I've read in this particular genre and I'd highly recommend it.

Songbird
Songbird
by Josephine Cox

2.0 out of 5 stars Cliche after Cliche, 11 Jun. 2010
This review is from: Songbird (Paperback)
I've only recently started to read novels by this author and I was bitterly disappointed in this book. The storyline was very predictable and the "falling in love" between Maddy and the Farmer was a complete cliche and rather unbelivable.
I have to admit to skipping various chunks, which is very unlike me, because I found the whole novel very dull.

We'll Meet Again
We'll Meet Again
by Hilary Green

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Read, 23 Jun. 2009
This review is from: We'll Meet Again (Paperback)
I had already read Never Say Goodbye before I read this one, and ideally We'll Meet again should be read first, but it didn't really matter. I read this book in three hours. I just couldn't put it down. The subject matter is so interesting and gripping and the characters are so believable that you are transported back to the war and all the horrors that it entailed. Yes, it's basically a love story but learning about the SOE and all that it did was incredible. Great read!

Glitz
Glitz
by Louise Bagshawe

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed, 24 Mar. 2009
This review is from: Glitz (Paperback)
I've read Louise's books in the past and have always enjoyed them. This book however was predictable from the word go with some very undemanding stereotyping characterisation. There was far too much designer name dropping. Yes we've all heard of Gucci, Chanel etc and yes these women would wear such designers, but the intricate description of each character's outfits took up nearly half the book! Who in the real world has heard of Stephanie Kallien (a shoe designer apparently) and why would the reader really care whether Athena's boots were by Stephanie Kallien - what's wrong with just saying - leather boots! Sorry Louise, not one of your best.