ARRAY(0xb68f64ec)

Profile for A. Foresti > Reviews

Content by A. Foresti

A. Foresti (UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5
Moo, Baa, La La La (Boynton)
Moo, Baa, La La La (Boynton)
by Sandra Boynton
Edition: Board book
Price: 4.49

5.0 out of 5 stars Simple & smart (like kids books should be!!!), 27 Mar 2010
I absolutely love this author because her books are simple (=aimed at young children) but at the same time clever. Even very young children shouldn't be patronized because small, and i think her books manage to squeeze fun and irony even with one sentence each page (the ideal lenght for the attention span of my 2 year-old by the way!!!). Usually it takes him a bit to like a new book, but this one has intantly grown on him. Excellent.

Hug
Hug
by Jez Alborough
Edition: Board book
Price: 5.99

4.0 out of 5 stars The sweetest book, 27 Mar 2010
This review is from: Hug (Board book)
I absolutely love this book. It made my eyes water!...The only problem is that with only 1 word in it I don't really know how to read it to my 2 years-old. I'm sure we'll find a way to enjoy it but for the time being it only gets 4 stars from me.

WOW! Said the Owl
WOW! Said the Owl
by Tim Hopgood
Price: 5.99

5.0 out of 5 stars WOW indeed :), 19 Mar 2010
This review is from: WOW! Said the Owl (Hardcover)
I absolutely love this book !!! it is simple, with little text for each page and large colorful pictures. The "story" is terribly cute and it is a good help to a child learning colors. It promotes appreciation for colors and nature around us :) absolutely brilliant!!!

Oxford Essential Arabic Dictionary
Oxford Essential Arabic Dictionary
by Oxford Dictionaries
Price: 6.99

3.0 out of 5 stars The Arabic is very hard to read :(, 12 Mar 2010
I bought this dictionary a long time ago and generally found its contents reliable. HOWEVER I used to have it as learning aid when I was teaching English to native speakers of Arabic and even they often found the Arabic font way too small and very difficult to read (is it noon? is it za? is it ra? who knows???there are no dots!!!) and were sometimes in a situation where I was trying to explain the meaning of a word (for example, that you call "A, B, C.." "letters") and when I looked up the relevant English word ("letter") they could read the Arabic word for "sheep" instead which really confused them (and me) just because one dot was missing!

I find it would be worth compromising on the size of the book and increase the Arabic font please!
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 16, 2012 9:48 PM BST

Good Food: One-pot Dishes: Triple-tested Recipes: Tried-and-tested Recipes (Good Food 101)
by Jeni Wright
Price: 3.74

1.0 out of 5 stars 101 recipes for people that hate cooking but have to, 12 Mar 2010
I was thoroughly disappointed. I thought that by "1 pot" it meant simply a kind of dish, like a stew or a curry or something like that...instead it's nearly all ready sauces and shop bought pastes... I might as well have a takeaway...maybe it's just me but I like cookbooks that can IMPROVE my cooking skills, not degrade it.

Supernanny: How to Get the Best from Your Children
Supernanny: How to Get the Best from Your Children
by Jo Frost
Price: 9.00

4.0 out of 5 stars What makes you reflect on your parenting is always good :), 1 Mar 2010
I like super nanny and this is a nice book and an easy read. It looks nice, it's NOT hundreds of pages of dense writing in a tiny font, it looks inviting even when you are collapsing on the sofa in the evening after your toddler is in bed. I like her common sense, and it is useful to read this book as it will make you reflect on your child and your parenting, which is always very very good to do.

Don't expect this book alone(or ANY other book on the subject, for that matter!) to sort out your kids and family. However I do recommend it because sometimes when you are a parent you can loose self confidence in difficult times...and then it's when you need an outsider to remind you about what common sense suggests.

Nigella Express
Nigella Express
by Nigella Lawson
Price: 12.72

3.0 out of 5 stars Too much booze!, 1 Mar 2010
This review is from: Nigella Express (Paperback)
i'm surprised that some people complained about this book being all about dishes that are quickly put together and cooking shorcuts. The clue is in the title, this is what you are going to get.
I really like the book, it has interesting ideas and beautiful pictures and I successfully tried some of the recipes. However, I think I'll stick with non "express" cookery books in the future, as I want to increase, non decrease, the sophistication of my food.

As a Muslim I find that alcohol and/or pork products are present in too many of the recipes and in many of them they are an important in gredient that you can't simply leave out. This restricts the number of reipes I can use, that's why it only gets 3 stars from me...

LeapFrog Fridge Phonics Magnetic Alphabet Set
LeapFrog Fridge Phonics Magnetic Alphabet Set

5.0 out of 5 stars What a clever idea!, 24 Jan 2010
It is such a clever idea and my 2 year old loves it. It is too early for him to be learning phonics, but he enjoying fitting the letters in the space and listening to the songs :) He also love moving the magnets about on the fridge so eventually I think he'll become familiar with the letters. Plus it really brightens up the fridge!

Littlelife Animal Toddler Daysack - Ladybird
Littlelife Animal Toddler Daysack - Ladybird
Offered by NURSERY THYME
Price: 20.94

5.0 out of 5 stars Really cute!, 16 Jan 2010
My 18 months old niece will not leave the house without wearing it :) she loves to put stuff in it and then take it out, and put it back in etc... it is very cute and sturdy. Very compact, it can contain a nappy, wipes and a snack or small toy, which is just as much as such a young child should be carrying. I love it.

Littlelife Turtle Daysack
Littlelife Turtle Daysack
Offered by bagsandluggage Shop
Price: 19.99

5.0 out of 5 stars So cute!, 2 Jan 2010
This review is from: Littlelife Turtle Daysack (Misc.)
This backpack is really beautiful. Big enough to contain just a nappy, wipes and a snack or small toy. But after all, what do you want to load the backpack of an under 3-year-old with? bricks??! besides, it eliminates the need for a changing bag for toddlers (or de-clutters mommy's handbag!!!) with the added bonus of the reins, that even the most "liberal" parent will find very handy in a busy shopping centre, at the airport or along a road when your little one wants to get out of the buggy. They are easily attached/removed. I love to see my son trotting around wearing it. I even bought others, in other designs to give as presents.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5