Profile for R. Hoddinott > Reviews

Content by R. Hoddinott

R. Hoddinott

Adobe Flash Pro CS6, Student and Teacher Version (PC)
Adobe Flash Pro CS6, Student and Teacher Version (PC)

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy to set up and activate, 15 Feb. 2014
This is the Student and Teacher version of Flash Pro CS6, which I bought for my wife who is a teacher. I'm not going to review the actual software, but rather the process for installing and activating as a student/teacher user.

The disc arrived in a box within a couple of days of ordering, and allowed us to install on our windows 8 pc as a trial to get a full 30 days use out of it before we sorted out the 'activation'. Within the box was a piece of card with a product number and a link to a website. On this website, we needed to enter the product number, my wife's name and address, the name of the school she teaches at, and a photo of a payslip which I took with my mobile phone. This all got submitted to adobe customer services, who replied the very next day with a serial number which we could use to activate the software for unlimited use. The process was very quick and easy.

The actual software is identical to the normal version of Flash CS6, and is the most recent version which can be bought outright (the subsequent version, Flash Pro CC is only available on a subscription basis).

Overall, this is a great product at a very low price, which I would definitely recommend to any other students or teachers who want to use this software.

Anker® Multi-Angle Portable Stand for Tablets 7-10 inch, E-readers and Smartphones, 0.4lb Lightweight Durable Aluminum Body, Compatible for iPad Air, Mini, iPhone 6 5S 5 4S, Samsung Galaxy S5 S4 S3, Google Nexus 5 6 7 9 Phones, Tablets and more (Silver)
Offered by AnkerDirect

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, 15 Feb. 2014
Solid, non slip, smart design. Used for an iPad 4 - looks the part, and allows me to use the iPad in either landscape or portrait without it wobbling around.

Black Flip Leather Wallet Case Card Holder Cover Pouch for Nokia Lumia 520
Black Flip Leather Wallet Case Card Holder Cover Pouch for Nokia Lumia 520

4.0 out of 5 stars Great product, 14 Feb. 2014
I bought this case for my Nokia Lumia 520. Considering the ridiculously low price of the item, with free postage included, I figured I had nothing to lose if it turned out to be a piece of rubbish. Turns out, it's actually pretty good.

Inner case: The phone is a perfect fit for the black plastic inner case. It snaps into it easily, and it's so discreet that on my black phone you have to look pretty closely to even notice it's there. The cut-outs are in exactly the right places to allow good access to the three buttons on the right hand side of the phone, and the charging socket and headphone socket at the top/bottom of the phone.

Outer case: The material is a leather effect plastic. It has a soft and slightly textured feel to it, and I personally think it's nice to the touch. The stitching is very neat and close all around. The stitching on the inside of the case is black, BUT, THE STITCHING ON THE OUTSIDE OF THE CASE IS WHITE, CONTRARY TO THE PHOTO SHOWN IN THE PRODUCT DESCRIPTION. (There is no photo of the back of the case in the description, but you can clearly see the fastening tab which extends from the back of the case has black stitching in the hoto, wheras the tab and the whole of the back of the case is actually stitched with white thread in reality). This makes the case look more like a girls purse than a man-wallet, and initially put me right off it. However, with a black ink pen, a steady hand, and 10 minutes or so to spare, I was able to make the necessary modification - the stitching is now all black, and my manliness is fully restored. It's been in and out of my pocket for several days since, and thankfully the stitching has remained black and I don't appear to have black ink stains in my pockets or on my hands. I do recommend however that if you follow the same route, you'd be better off not putting the case in the washing machine unless you are confident in the permanency of the ink you have used. While I was at it with the pen, I also coloured in a few thin edges of the material stitched to the inner side of the outer case where it appeared a little lighter, and now the case is 100% black inside and out. It's not something I would usually consider to be my responsibility to correct the imperfections in a product I've paid for, but considering the couple of quid I spent, I figured the effort was worthwhile. If you're a girl, then you might like the white stitching, or perhaps you could find a pink felt tip pen instead. The holes in the outer case for the camera and what I assume is either a microphone, speaker or light sensor, are both in the right places and the correct size.

Storage: On the inside of the outer case, there are three slots for storing credit cards and bank notes. I've managed to squeeze four credit cards into it (two in each of the card slots) and a ten pound note, folded twice, into the note slot. If I ever get my hands on a bank note of higher denomination, I'm pretty sure it would fit too - I reckon you could get three or four bank notes in there comfortably. This has now replaced my wallet, and I'm pretty pleased to have reduced the number of items in my pocket. Admittedly, I did have to ditch a couple of cards which were in my previous wallet, due to size restrictions, which included my donor card and my RAC breakdown card. For this reason, if I'm ever in a serious car crash, apologies to anyone who needs one of my organs, and also to any surviving passengers in my car that will have to walk home as the breakdown truck won't be coming to assist. But I think it's worth the trade off in order to have less things in my pocket, as I do like to wear tight fitting trousers, and hate it when the bulges are in the wrong places.

Clasp: The clasp has a magnet inside which is just strong enough to keep the whole case neatly closed, but not so strong that it has any noticeable effect on the operation of the phone. Some reviewers of similar products have complained that the magnetic clips on these cases can reduce battery life, but I have to say there has been no adverse affect on the battery life of my phone since using this case.

Overall quality: Surprisingly well made. It's not flimsy and it doesn't look like it's going to fall apart any time soon. It has a neat and tidy finish with no wonky bits and it really is a good fit for the phone. I've seen worse cases in shops for more than five times the price.

Verdict: 4 stars. Good quality, good fit, smart looking case that doubles as a wallet. Exceptional value for money. One star knocked off for the girly white stitching.

Why We Get Fat: And What to Do about It (Vintage)
Why We Get Fat: And What to Do about It (Vintage)
by Gary Taubes

5.0 out of 5 stars A real eye opener, 30 Dec. 2013
This is a very interesting and well written book. Don't be confused into thinking this is a diet book full of recipes and detailed meal plans. This is for those who actually want to understand the reasons behind why some people get fat, and why others don't. Once you understand it, you should be far better equipped to decide for yourself what to eat and what not to eat.

The basic message of the book, and this is stated within the first few pages, so I don't think I'm giving too much away here, is this: Carbohydrates, especially those refined carbohydrates and starchy foods which have entered into the human diet only very recently in evolutionary terms, are the primary causes for why we get fat, and increase our risks of getting modern western diseases like diabetes, heart disease, cancer and obesity. This view, as the author makes very clear, is contrary to the current views on nutrition held by most health authorities worldwide, who advocate diets high in carbohydrate and low in fat, and who believe that the best way to lose weight and reduce risk of western diseases is to reduce one's calorie intake and increase one's calorie expenditure via exercise.

At least half of the book is dedicated to presenting a series of arguments to support the author's view and debunk the views of health authorities. What is perhaps most profound about this book, is that the arguments the author makes, which I personally find very convincing, are not plucked out of thin air, they are based on uncontroversial science that already exists, and large scale scientific studies. The author explains in some detail the established science behind how carbohydrates affect levels of insulin in our bodies and the knock on effects this has. Also, rather than just cherry picking the studies which support his views, the author also addresses studies which do not, and explains why he believes they do not. This unbiased approach, I believe, adds credibility to his arguments.

I personally find it hard to dispute the conclusions drawn by the author - his arguments are based in scientific fact, and are both simple and logical. But read it for yourself - he's not forcing you into believing him, he presents his arguments and you are free to draw your own conclusions. Overall I found this book not just an informative book about the science of how and why we get fat, but an incredibly eye opening and thought provoking account of how the so called experts and authorities on nutrition have gotten it so wrong.

I would definitely recommend others to read this book - not just people trying to lose weight, but also those who are interested in the history and evolution of science, and especially anyone in the field of health and nutrition who doesn't mind having their established beliefs challenged.

Bose ® SoundLink ® Mini Bluetooth Speaker - Silver
Bose ® SoundLink ® Mini Bluetooth Speaker - Silver

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent sound quality, 30 Dec. 2013
I did a lot of research before buying this item (for my wife, but secretly for me too), and the one comment I saw time and time again was that it had great sound quality "for its size". What I really wanted to know, however, was what it sounded like irrespective of its size. Having spent a week listening to it I can confirm that the sound is very good indeed in both clarity and depth. The bass on this thing is very respectable - not as powerful as you'd get from a speaker setup with a dedicated subwoofer, but enough for my tastes, and certainly more than you get from most combination speakers on micro/mini/midi hi fi systems, at least any that I've heard. So overall I'm very pleased (as is my wife) with how it sounds. The tiny size of it makes it even more incredible - I would only expect such a deep and powerful sound from a speaker three or four times the size, to be honest.

In terms of the connectivity, we didn't even bother reading the instructions. Connecting it to my nexus 7 and my wife's galaxy tab was quick and easy. We use it with the tuneIn app for radio and we stream our respective collections of music via google play music. I've also used it for watching cookery videos on youtube when in the kitchen with lots of noise around me, and the speakers on my nexus 7 just aren't loud enough. Works a treat.

Bruder 02657 MB Actros Low Loader
Bruder 02657 MB Actros Low Loader

5.0 out of 5 stars Great quality, 31 Mar. 2011
Good quality truck - looks good, very durable. Bought for our 2 year old boy six months ago. He plays with it lots, and it has been robust enough that despite being crashed into walls, stood on, sat on and dropped, it is still in perfect condition. Bought with the buckhoe digger which fits onto the back of it, and is also still in perfect condition despite lots of use.

Marmitek Powermid XL Wireless IR Extension System
Marmitek Powermid XL Wireless IR Extension System
Offered by go4products

5.0 out of 5 stars Spot on, 31 Mar. 2011
Does exactly what we hoped it would do. We bought these pyramids together with the Marmitek IR extender to allow control of the Sky HD box downstairs from the bedroom upstairs. We previously tried the tvLink magic eye which is supposed to send remote control signals down the co-ax cable to the sky box, but that was very temperimental, and despite trying lots of things we just couldn't get it to work consistently.

These Pyramids though work perfectly. Note - they don't send a tv signal - only the remote control signals, so these are only useful if you already have a tv signal getting to your second tv. You put the transmitter anywhere you like near the second tv - all you have to do is plug it into a powersocket. We have ours next to the tv in the bedroom. Then the receiver goes near the sky box downstairs. To work by itslef, this receiver must have line of sight to the front of the sky box (where the infrared sensor is located). Because the only suitable place for our receiver was on the TV stand next to the sky box (ie. not in line of sight to the front of the sky box), we used the IR extender. This is a small cable - one end plugs into the receiver pyramid, and the other end is a small infrared emitter which you stick onto the front of the sky box where its infrared sensor is. Because the emitter is made of transparent material (glass or plastic), you can still use the remote control normally to to control the sky box downstairs because the signal passes through the transparent material. Note - the emitter has to be placed in exactly the right position - the sensor on the sky hd box is located within the front led display, offset slightly to the right. Just use a bit of trial and error to locate before sticking it on firmly. This little extender is quite discrete - you can hide the cable by running it underneath the skybox.

Logic 3 PS2 Pro DVD Remote Control
Logic 3 PS2 Pro DVD Remote Control
Offered by Planet Games And Gadgets

4.0 out of 5 stars logic2 ps2 remote, 17 May 2010
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
The remote works, looks nice, and arrived quickly. Comes with a plug in adapter which you don't need if you have the ps2 slim. Seems quite robust, but it seems a little insensitive - using it from a distance of about 3 metres, you have to point the remote quite precisely at the ps2 and press the buttons firmly for it to register, but I don't know if that's down to the remote or the ps2. Overall, it's fine. Not the best remote I've ever used, but a lot better than the worst!

Yamaha RXV465BL 5.1 AV Receiver
Yamaha RXV465BL 5.1 AV Receiver

4.0 out of 5 stars Pretty good, 1 Dec. 2009
Overall I'm very happy with this amp. The sound, along with a set of Teufel 5.1 speakers is superb. The unit itslef looks quite nice on my tv stand, even though it's quite chunky.

I have just two slight gripes about it - first, when hooked up to Sky HD box it turned itself off a couple of times whilst watching TV unexpectadly. After researching this, I found other people had the same problem. However, Yamaha have released an update patch which I have installed and since then the problem seems to have gone away. Beware that the update process is a pain, involving downloading an encoded audio file, burning it to disc, connecting a cd player to the unit and playing the disc, and pressing combinations of buttons - it took me a good couple of hours until I got it to update properly.

The second gripe I have is that I am constantly needing to change the subwoofer level depending on the source I am listening to. For classical music it needs to go up, for games it needs to go down, for movies somewhere in the middle. There seem to be lots of presets which you can assign for different sources, but there doesn't seem to be a way to store the speaker levels into these presets so you have to manually alter them each time. This wouldn't be a major problem if it wasn't for the fact that you have to go through about 5 levels of menus to do it.

Overall though it's the sound that is important - and that's great, so I give it 4 stars.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Very happy with these speakers, 1 Dec. 2009
After a lot of searching for a 5.1 sound system to go with a new TV for our living room, I bought these speakers along with a Yamaha RXV465 AV receiver/amp. There are a lot of all-in-one 5.1 surround sound systems around which include a dvd/bluray player, but as I have a PS3 which does both of those things I didn't want to have more kit than I needed. Also, most of the reviews for these all-in-one packages suggest that they sound great for movies, but not great for music - and having good sounding music is important for me.

The speakers arrived from Germany within the time it stated, and very well packaged. These speakers look and feel very well made - they are made from aluminium, unlike the plastic that a lot of other speakers I looked at were made from. They look very stylish and not cheap looking in any way.

The sound from the speaker and amp combination is very good for movies, music and games. I'm not a hifi expert, but to my ears it sounds great. Overall I'm very happy, especially considering the price. I would certainly recommend these to anyone looking for a set of 5.1 speakers in this price range.