Profile for Charles A. Crolla > Reviews

Content by Charles A. Crolla

Charles A. Crolla (Glasgow, Lanarkshire United Kingdom)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-12
Indoor Bonsai Tree Gift Set - Medium Sized Chinese Elm - 18cm Pot
Indoor Bonsai Tree Gift Set - Medium Sized Chinese Elm - 18cm Pot

5.0 out of 5 stars My experience and what I did, 9 Jun 2014
(Same review for all Bonsai trees purchased - 3 Chinese Elms and a Podocarpus)

Read the book (Bonsai Basics) as well as other articles, and having got the gist, here is what I did...

Within days the Elms were devoid of leaves and looking somewhat 'dead', with the Podocarpus looking in need of some serious TLC.

Some careful pruning followed by watering and feeding didn't help much, so after ordering 2 different soils, and 1 which acted as a feeder, along with mesh, I set about reviving them.

It was easy to remove them from their pots as their roots had virtually replaced what soil there was. I then carefully removed the existing soil and 'excess' roots, and after sticking them under the tap to clean away residues set about re-potting each.

Cut mesh to cover bottom of pots, used both soils, put each tree back in its' respective pot, added more soil to secure them in place then gave each a good soaking. A sprinkling of the feeder soil, a quick spray of water, and I now have trees bursting with life and the only decision left is which leaves to prune.

When the soil looks (and feels) dry, under the tap they go, and they continue to flourish.

This may seem a somewhat 'cavalier' approach, especially after reading about what you should and shouldn't do, but it worked for me.

You have no way of knowing how old the soil they come in is, when they were last pruned, or the extent of root growth without looking, but I might suggest that you consider following my example if your trees seem to look like they're on their last legs, I mean, roots!

(Soils, etc., used: Hard Akadama, Indoor Bonsai Soil Mix, Naruko Slow Release Tree Feed, and Drainage Mesh)

Corsair Vengeance MM200 Extra Large Cloth Gaming Mouse Mat
Corsair Vengeance MM200 Extra Large Cloth Gaming Mouse Mat
Price: 14.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Very nice mat, 21 May 2014
Having only just bought a Dragon War mat it was blissful to find one which didn't try to skin my hand in use, and which was infinitely more comfortable and less irritating in use. Normally, 'a mat is a mat', but the Corsair is, in my opinion, a cut above the rest.

Like to guess what I did with its' newly purchased predecessor?

Correct!

Corsair CH-9000022-EU Vengeance M65 Performance FPS 8200 DPI Laser Gaming Mouse - Black
Price: 45.49

3.0 out of 5 stars The good and the not so good, 21 May 2014
I'm going to compare the K65 to my Logitech MX518.

For size and comfortable grip, the MX518 wins. The K65 has a much lower 'profile' and is somewhat too 'tapered' at the back.

The MX518 has no weights and doesn't really need them, and whilst the K65 does when I decided to try it without them it proved impossible to put all of them back as one of the screws holding them refused to detach, and simply turned endlessly.

And the screws really do have to be completely flush with the aluminium base for reasons that should be obvious.

I'm also finding the K65's right click a little too sensitive (or the design of the mouse makes it seem it is), and this can affect both surfing and playing games. Perhaps I'm just nit-picking, but it does annoy me somewhat.

When deciding to download and install the software for the K65 the instructions were to first update the firmware, so I did - and after installing the software had to plug my MX518 into my Corsair K70 keyboard as the K65 had become totally unresponsive.

After trying to make (any) sense of the Corsair software I decided to uninstall both it and the firmware, and the K65 responded with gratitude.

No doubt the K65 has a more technologically advanced sensor and greater precision but this might not be that apparent in use, and having failed to 'get to grips' with the software, the 'Sniper' button remains unusable, but as I don't feel the need for it and couldn't think of an alternative use no real problem.

So, which mouse comes out on top?

You decide...

30 Rock - Season 7 [DVD]
30 Rock - Season 7 [DVD]
Dvd ~ Tina Fey
Price: 13.00

4.0 out of 5 stars All good things..., 21 May 2014
This review is from: 30 Rock - Season 7 [DVD] (DVD)
...must eventually end, and 30 Rock has - mid-season!

Perhaps not the best in the series, but when you have a sitcom that was a cut above so many others in its originality and brilliant cast, it's well worth buying, especially if you have all of the previous Seasons.

Hopefully Tina Fey and Alec Baldwin will find a new vehicle in which to entertain us.

Dragon War Professional Gaming Mouse Mat Speed Edition, GP-001, Dragonwar Designed Texture for Maximum Mouse Control
Offered by Valutech Ltd
Price: 10.94

1.0 out of 5 stars Hated it, 21 May 2014
This is the first mat I've actually disliked.

I hated its' size, found it uncomfortable in use, and it 'skinned' the parts of my hand it came in contact with.

Now replaced with the Corsair extra large mat.

Bliss!

The Office - An American Workplace - Season 9
The Office - An American Workplace - Season 9
Dvd ~ Steve Carell, B.J. Novak, Rainn Wilson
Offered by MMRSALES
Price: 19.79

5.0 out of 5 stars Farewell, 21 May 2014
The end of a great series, and having bought the previous 8 it was inevitable I'd buy the last.

If you want to see how things turn out for the gang an absolute must buy.

There was 'talk' of a spin-off with starring Dwight (The Farm) but having seen what may have been a 'pilot' of that name in the Episodes it isn't going to happen.

Good-bye Dunder Mifflin and a great cast!

Corsair CH-9000011-UK Vengeance K70 Performance FPS Mechanical Gaming Keyboard - Black
Price: 99.99

5.0 out of 5 stars On the whole, a good keyboard, 21 May 2014
My Logitech Illuminated keyboard has served me well, but I decided to change to a mechanical one, and the K70 was my preference.

I wasn't interested in a true gaming board (I really couldn't be bothered with features I'd never use and have never really seen the need).

The K70 is a board of quality, and whilst there is much to like about it there are a few points worth mentioning.

Obviously the keys do make more 'noise' than a membrane board, but not really a problem - unless you're a bat.

The USB port at the back now means that I can attach external HDDs or anything else, and is a nice touch.

Although you can adjust the brightness of the keys, anything other than the first setting is just too bright for my tastes, and seems somewhat unnecessary.

With the key lights turned off however, the keys are virtually impossible to see in low light, so here's hoping none ever fail!

The red keys (W, A, S, D, and 1 -6) might give the K70 a pleasant look, but are they really necessary?

The red number keys have only numbers on them, so, if you do decide to use them for gaming you'd better be prepared to switch them back for normal usage.

You can of course select which keys you'd like to be lit when gaming, but, again, not something that I feel any need to do.

Undoubtedly a quality keyboard - as long as the key lights don't fail - so 1 star off for the reasons given, but added back on because of the USB port and the fact that I do like the feel of the board.

Sennheiser Momentum Closed Circumaural Over-Ear Headphone with Smart Remote - Black
Price: 249.95

4.0 out of 5 stars If you're not an audiophile..., 29 Jan 2014
...you may not notice what they can or can't hear.

No doubting the quality, but as stated, if you aren't an audiophile you may be just as well buying cheaper - and my now ancient Sony MDR-G82 'phones still sound pretty good.

Using them when playing games - and this may only be a problem with certain games, and the fault of the game itself - it was nigh on impossible to hear what was being said in cut-scenes (L.A. Noire for one) and even when characters spoke (Skyrim for another).

I can't really criticise too much, but perhaps 3 to 4 stars might be fair considering the cost.

Masterplug SRPTU82PB USB Charging Surge Protected 2m Extension Lead Power Centre with 8 Sockets
Price: 26.36

5.0 out of 5 stars It's Belkin, 29 Jan 2014
I like the brand, and now have 4 of their surge protection units.

Used for my computer and everything attached to it, TV and DVD recorder, lamps, and convector heater.

No real need for the USB and Ethernet connections.

Good product, so no complaints.

Gorilla Tape 32m
Gorilla Tape 32m
Price: 7.19

5.0 out of 5 stars Tough, 29 Jan 2014
This review is from: Gorilla Tape 32m (DIY & Tools)
I wanted tape that was not only hard-wearing but had good (excellent) grip, and this one hasn't disappointed in the least.

Recommended.