Profile for Ashten > Reviews

Always Managing: My Autobiography
Always Managing: My Autobiography
Price: 3.49

4.0 out of 5 stars great reminder of what football used to be like, 9 Feb 2014
Very open, honest and humble. A real pleasure to read. Interesting insights and a real passion for the game. All football fans should read this.

Winners Are Not Lonely At The Top:  A Live Case Study to Inspire Leaders Worldwide
Winners Are Not Lonely At The Top: A Live Case Study to Inspire Leaders Worldwide
Price: 6.17

4.0 out of 5 stars Seasoned Business Book Reader, 30 July 2013
A great book with some interesting and innovative approaches to help managers/directors to become leaders. I particularly like the focus on getting back to reality and moving away from day to day operational tasks. I was also impressed by the activity to help leaders understand the differences between their personal perception and that of their reports and peers. This approach has not come up before in other development books and I believe it is fundamental to helping leaders make the change, regardless of what stage in their career they are at.
Well worth reading if you are a leader a manager or thinking about moving into a leadership position. The concepts and approaches will help most folks become more successful.

Eat, Pray, Love: One Woman's Search for Everything
Eat, Pray, Love: One Woman's Search for Everything
by Elizabeth Gilbert
Price: 6.29

2.0 out of 5 stars Indulge, moan, irritate, 20 July 2010
I read frequently and although I don't usually read 'memoir' type books I thought I would give this a try, indeed I was looking forward to it arriving.

I have experienced real loss, love Italian food, have encountered God and have visited Bali recently, so you might think I would enjoy this book, but alas I did not.

I made myself finish the book as I thought it might improve. It didn't. I failed to glean any life insights from it nor did I find it that humorous.

How can you be crying on the bathroom floor for weeks/months on end unless you have experienced actual tragedy? A divorce after a few years with no children involved is not a tragic event. Pull your self together Gilbert. One of my friends is a single mother with three children, struggling to get by after divorcing her abusive alcoholic husband who hospitalised her. Another has severely disabled twins who need round the clock care. These women are not self indulgent and whiney they get on with it, with extreme fortitude and grace.

If you are interested in a genuinely inspiring spiritual journey I would recommend 'Chasing the dragon' by Jackie Pullinger.

Teach Your Child to Read
Teach Your Child to Read
by Engelman
Price: 11.95

3.0 out of 5 stars Not engaging enough for some maybe especially younger boys, 19 May 2008
I bought this book as I have bright twin boys who were showing an interest in words and reading. I began the book when they were 3.5 as instructed by the author. We went through about the first 20 lessons. It was hard going and although I have no doubts that the method is carefully planned and would work if the child is engaged with the format. My boys found it too boring and we gave up. I have had much better success with the online teaching of clicknkids.

The Supernatural Power of a Transformed Mind: Access to a Life of Miracles
The Supernatural Power of a Transformed Mind: Access to a Life of Miracles
by Bill Johnson
Price: 8.47

5.0 out of 5 stars A life of miracles? Yes please!!!, 27 Jun 2006
My christian walk had stalled i was lacking fire, passion or indeed direction. Once i started to read this book i could not put it down ( i even took it to the gym and read it whilst cycling etc!) it is so good. The author speaks in a very concise, clear and direct way. This book is amazing.....powerful.... encouraging and has totally given me new confidence in looking to God for miracles as part of the 'normal christian experience'. If you only buy one christian book this year make it this one.