Profile for Ad > Reviews

Content by Ad

Ad

Wharfedale Diamond 220 Speakers (Black)
Wharfedale Diamond 220 Speakers (Black)
Offered by Bartlett's HiFi

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent. As soon as they arrived, 13 Dec. 2014
As soon as they arrived, I opened and examined and what we have is a very fine looking pair of speakers.
Sadly Wharfedale's quality control is still not living up to what they should be. One of the speakers is slightly off-set on its base, this is noticeable when you are close to the speaker and I have to say the alignment of the second speaker's base isn't perfect either.
The front panel on one of the speakers is also not aligned perfectly.

Setup was no hassle at all. I am not using the BiWire setup option, the unit is supplied with bridges.

In my case I am using these speakers connected to a Cambridge Soundworks THX certified BASH amplifier as part of a PC sound setup, replacing two of the satellite speakers. This required me to tweak my outputs slightly as the Wharfedales handle a wider range of audio frequencies than the old satellites and naturally take a little more power to drive. But after a short tweaking and balancing session I have found that the Wharfedales fill a hole in the sound range I have been trying to fill with "tweaks" for a long time. This has breathed new life into the setup and made an already amazing sound system even better.

Owing to the fact these Wharfedales are the new satellites in my case, they don't have the full sound range going into them. Basically any sound below 150Hz is handled by the sub and above is sent to the satellites, meaning I cannot fully comment on their bass handling capabilities. But their upper bass range is adding a warmth to the cold bass that the sub kicks out and is adding an extra punch at the same time.
In the mid range, things like vocals, piano pieces and harmonies are much clearer and more pronounced.
In the upper mid to low high range, I found these speakers tend to have a bit of a gap but that is filled by my remaining satellites.
But once you get to the high frequencies order is restored as the tweeter enters it's comfort zone and performs excellently and can create ear piercing tones.
But that is all subject to interpretation, this is the way I like my music to sound. The speakers can only work with what is put into them and I can only comment on how they perform in the setup I have.

Overall, song's that I have heard many times over seem to have new sounds within, it's simply amazing how much sound can be lost with the wrong speaker setup.
In terms of looks they are spot on, well designed and the Kevlar woven speaker cone not only looks good but produces a better sound than the traditional cones. The unit's feel solid and sturdy.
I would give them 5 stars but because of the lack of quality control they lose a star.

Simply put, if you have £200 to spend on a set of speakers then sound wise you need look no further you have found them.
I am confident you won't find a better sounding speaker at that price.

The 5:2 Diet: Single Serving Vegetarian Recipes
The 5:2 Diet: Single Serving Vegetarian Recipes

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book, 18 April 2013
Finally a 5:2 diet book for vegetarians! I have bought numerous recipe books relating to this diet but being a vegetarian I found very few recipes to suit, so it's nice to finally have something I can actually use.
Lovely recipes, really enjoyed the ones I've tried so far and looking forward to trying some more!
An excellent purchase.