Profile for Katherine Mansfield > Reviews

Content by Katherine Mans...

Katherine Mansfield

Emu women's Isis Chelsea Boots
Emu women's Isis Chelsea Boots

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing, 12 Dec. 2013
I was looking for a non-ugly winter boot. The Isis boot fits the bill in this respect.

I do not like the traditional uggs because quite frankly, why would anyone where ugly boots outside of their house. Also, I wanted a leather shoe. The emu Isis Chelsea boot is perfect for me. For a start, the emu brand label is not plastered over the shoe. The Isis is basically a warm winter Chelsea boot, no bells and whistles, just a nice plain boot that has sheepskin on the inside to keep your tootsies warm. Of course, it is still a leather boot, and the Isis boot is not marketed to be waterproof (as the 1 star reviewer possibly failed to take note of). However, for walking around outside in the winter, this boot does the job I need it to. For the really wet days I would probably have to revert to my ugly waterproof winter boots, but as I don't tend to walk around in the actual rain, the Isis Boot is fine.

Anyway. For me, I could not recommend the boot more, and am looking forward to this winter with a pair of nice, stylish, comfortable and, most importantly, warm winter boots. And thanks Amazon for delivering so quickly.

Dear John
Dear John

2.0 out of 5 stars I preferred Twilight, 8 May 2012
This review is from: Dear John (Kindle Edition)
I purchased Dear John based on the reviews and having read Nicholas Sparks' the Horse Whisperer some years ago and enjoyed it. Alas, I did not enjoy Dear John. It felt very short and I found the characteres very two-dimensional. I am no literary genius, preferring "easy" reads rather than high brow literature, but even I have some standards. I thought the book did not really give me an insight into the characters, and events were glossed over without any meaningful description or analysis. As someone who has been in a long-distance relationship (NZ-Germany; UK-Germany) I also thought the portrayal of the long distance relationship was poor and in terms of the characters' actions, was unrealistic. Maybe I just didn't like the characters. Anyway. I did not like the ending either. All in all, not a good book and I would not recommend it.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 30, 2015 3:14 PM GMT

A Concise History of Germany (Cambridge Concise Histories)
A Concise History of Germany (Cambridge Concise Histories)
by Mary Fulbrook

3.0 out of 5 stars Not quite the narrative I was hoping for, 11 Nov. 2011
I bought this book hoping that it would read like an interesting narrative of sorts to introduce the main aspects of Germany's history. While the book is correct and detailed, it is a difficult read if one is after a leisurely overview of German history.

That all said, I would recommend it for the facts and overview it provides, but I will be looking for something a little easier on the brain and something which covers main themes rather than key dates and figures as such.

Pleadings Without Tears: A Guide to Legal Drafting Under the Civil Procedure Rules
by William Rose

3.0 out of 5 stars Handy, but too many exclamation marks!!!!, 11 Nov. 2011
I ordered this book simply to have it on hand as and when I needed a quick reference to a pleadings guide. I have read the first couple of chapters, and browsed through others, and while I enjoy the tone and style of the book, I simply must state my annoyance at the use of exclamation marks!!!

The author uses a good 5 or 6 exclamation marks per page. I can understand how the author intends for the sentence to sound with an exclamation mark, but in written work the overuse of the exclamation mark is just annoying.(!!!) For the record, I am no Fowler, but I am sure he would not approve.