Profile for Michael McFadden > Reviews

Elon Musk: How the Billionaire CEO of SpaceX and Tesla is Shaping our Future
Elon Musk: How the Billionaire CEO of SpaceX and Tesla is Shaping our Future
by Ashlee Vance

4.0 out of 5 stars Very enjoyable., 27 May 2015
I debated whether to give this a four or five stars but in the end I opted for four.

For reference I am a HUGE Elon Musk fan and have consumed dozens and dozens of hours worth of Musk/Tesla/SpaceX talks and Q & A's so I came to this book very well informed about company origins, future goals and big hurdles dealt with by Elon and his companies. I looked at this book as a way to learn a bit more about the man himself.

Pro's:
-An admirable number of sources used in the book (especially as the author didn't have Elon's 'blessing' till late in the writing). Contributors include Goggle's Page, Peter Theil, Kimble Musk.
-Vance's book painted a picture of a driven and sometimes difficult human being that is at odds with all I've seen and gleaned from various interviews. This book shows a side of him that is utterly single-minded and ruthless in a pursuit of his (and humankind's) goals. This was somewhat at odds with what I'd imagined Musk to be like but given what he's managed to accomplish I'm not surprised.
-I enjoyed the style.
-It was my first detailed encounter with Musk's early and school life which made interesting reading.
-As a self-confessed Musk fanboy I definitely came away from this book having found out far more than I knew starting out.

Con's:

-The major flaws were lack of depth and length in this book. It wasn't a short book at all but I felt it could have been twice the length quite easily given how unique an individual Musk is and the sheer amount he's accomplished. Walter Isaacson's brilliant biographies Steve Jobs, and his Einstein book wracked in page lengths over double this. I felt that a lot of issues were dealt could have been studied in far more depth and forensic detail and we could've just lingered on a bit more on areas. This book wasn't shallow at all but I was left feeling that I wish he got into the true nuts and bolts of things down to a tiny level.
-One of the most fascinating things I find about Musk was the way he thinks and how he views the world (from a first principles standpoint), his previous favorite reading materials/philosophers and books that has influenced him (Nietzsche sparking a teenage crisis and Hitchikers Guide to the Galaxy). I wish there was more of this seemingly minor information in this book.

All in all it was a solid 4/5 and well worth reading and I will reread it again for sure somewhere down the line.

MENS MAGIC MONEY CLIP LEATHER WALLET ID CASH HOLDER CREDIT CARD COVER CASE
MENS MAGIC MONEY CLIP LEATHER WALLET ID CASH HOLDER CREDIT CARD COVER CASE
Offered by Gadget Warehouse London Ltd

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 27 Nov. 2014
Great product, cheap, durable (so far) and nice and compact. Would def buy again.

The Wonderbox: Curious Histories of How to Live
The Wonderbox: Curious Histories of How to Live
by Roman Krznaric

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book, 24 Jan. 2014
I'm just after finishing this book and I must say I loved it.
It's full of interesting titbits of general knowledge and a deeper and worthier recipe for living your life better.

How to Find Fulfilling Work by the author was great also although that was more practically based and focused on.......well......the title. Of how to find fulfilling work. :-)

No Title Available

1.0 out of 5 stars Lasted about 5 months before breaking., 9 Oct. 2012
I don't normally write reviews but this product has annoyed me so much that I thought I should.

Ok, firstly the positives: this charger was cheap. I can't really argue with the price.

Negatives (which again will be short this being a charger and not an I-Pad after all): The right-angled plug connecter that fits into your laptop broke after about 5 months of moderate use. I got probably nearly three years out of my last one that came with the machine. This is unacceptable.

The most annoying thing is that it hasn't just broken a touch but nearly came apart completely. I can see into the wire casing through a hole in the sheathing, the internal wiring is visable and coiling apart, there is about a 3 millimetre hole between wiring on each side. It's horrendous.

I want to say again, I don't think I was unduly brutal in using it. It got put in a bag a couple of times a week and sat uncoiled in my room when it wasn't in use.

Sigh :-(