Shop now Shop now Shop now  Up to 70% Off Fashion  Shop all Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop Fire Shop Kindle Shop now Shop now Shop now
Profile for John Lewis > Reviews

Content by John Lewis

John Lewis "widescreenfan" (Aldwincle, Northamptonshire United Kingdom)

Page: 1 | 2
Radio Controlled Thermometer Spot TFA 30.3030
Radio Controlled Thermometer Spot TFA 30.3030

4.0 out of 5 stars Remote thermometer, and digital clock, 15 Jun. 2013
This unit replaces an older thermometer that I bought some years ago. The very useful features are the digital clock that never needs setting, and the clear easy to read face. I can see the outside temperature at a glance. It also stores minimum and maximum temperatures. The only fault is that the remote sensor is not rain proof, and so must be situated where it will not get wet. However, I solved this problem by fixing a clear plastic shield over it.

Omron M3 Upper Arm Blood Pressure Monitor
Omron M3 Upper Arm Blood Pressure Monitor
Offered by Miller Medical Supplies

5.0 out of 5 stars Blood Pressure monitoring made easy, 7 May 2013
When my doctor told me to daily monitor my blood pressure, I asked my friends who did the same to recommend a machine to do so. Most of them recommended an OMRON monitor. So, I bought one too. It is very easy to use. Because it can store 60 readings, and even display an average of the last three taken, it is very useful in keeping a record over time. The 'average' feature is useful because often the first reading is higher than it should be due to having not sat quietly before taking the reading. Sitting quitely can also give a low reading, so using the average feature, one can get a more accurate reading. I have been using mine for three months, and have not yet needed to change the battery. I would recommend the OMRON M3 to anyone who needs to monitor their blood pressure, as its large, easy to read display can be read without spectacles.

World War 2: The Complete History [DVD]
World War 2: The Complete History [DVD]
Dvd ~ World War 2
Offered by The Canny Store

5.0 out of 5 stars An Objective History of World War 2, 3 April 2013
Having read some of the previous reviewers comments, I am compelled to add my own. This series is one of the most objective of its kind ever produced. The whole point is to 'tell it like it is', not to insert personal conclusions.

I found it to be fairly balanced between the British and Amaican perspective; not extolling one over the other, or being hyper-critical of each other either. I lived through WW2, and know most of the history, however the naration reminded me of some of the 'facts' that I had forgotten over the years.

I would highly recommend this DVD set to any serious history student, and also to any one who would appreciate an honest objective observation of history.

Parsley, Sage, Rosemary And Thyme
Parsley, Sage, Rosemary And Thyme

5.0 out of 5 stars It's Simon & Garfunkle at their best, 30 Mar. 2012
This very tallented duo entertained us with their brand of harmony and poetly; which never fails to bring back memories of when music had harmony and 'colour'. I wore my old LP out and so replaced it with this CD. I have also replaced the other Simon & Garfunkle LPs in my collection with CD versions, and continue to enjoy their music. I am not a musician, but I do appreciate the harmony and phrasing, both in their music and words. They were one of the best duos in the business, and I am glad to have their music in my library, as I can relax and listen to them again and again.

The Gambling Man [DVD]
The Gambling Man [DVD]
Dvd ~ Bernard Hill
Offered by Discs4all

5.0 out of 5 stars Robson Green at his best, 30 Mar. 2012
This review is from: The Gambling Man [DVD] (DVD)
Catherine Cookson writes most interesting drama, and this production of The Gambling Man is one of her best. This is largly because Robson Green has a tallent for protraying the caracter so well. He is supported by a host of fellow actors, all of who are able to bring the story to life. Particularly, Sylvestra Le Touzel adds her brilliance to the story in a very moving way. Norman Stone's direction is another reason why this film is so well made. There are 5 vital elements necessary for a successful drama; they are a good script; a good director who can interpert the story; actors who can bring the lines to life; a camera director who can film the scenes and capture the 'feel' of the drama; and a musical director who, with his tallent, adds emotion in the score. The Gambling Man has all five. It is one of the best films in my DVD collection.

Spontex Disposable Dusters x 12 (Pack of 8, Total 96 Dusters)
Spontex Disposable Dusters x 12 (Pack of 8, Total 96 Dusters)

5.0 out of 5 stars The best duster I have ever used, 30 Mar. 2012
I bought Spontext dusters in my local supermarked some years ago, and found them to be great for cleaning and polishing everything in my house. Then for some reason, the supermarket stopped selling them. I was forced to try another brand, but nothing compares with Spontex! They both pick up dust and polish at the same time, without any other polish necessary; thus saving time, effort and money. Thankfully, I found Spontex dusters on Amazon, and ordered some. Now I am back to dusting and polishing, and a very happy customer too!

Gilbert & Sullivan: Patience [DVD] [2010]
Gilbert & Sullivan: Patience [DVD] [2010]
Dvd ~ Christine Douglas

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautifully staged, sung, and filmed, 24 Aug. 2011
Gilbert & Sullivan Operettas are performed by many opera companaies world wide, but when Opera Austalia mounts a production you can be certain of seeing an absolutely beautiful work of art. Apart from the music, which is as usual excellent, and a cast of top class singers, and actors, including the supporting cast, there are the stunning sets and costumes. From the opening scene to the closing credits, I was thrilled by the music, the singing, the costumes, and the sets. It is a feast to both the ears and the eyes. For anyone who loves Gilbert & Sullivan, this is a DVD to add to your collection, as you will be able to enjoy viewing it for many years to come. 'Long live Opera Australia', and long may they continue to bring their talented productions to the world.

SanDisk 8GB Micro Cruzer USB Flash Drive
SanDisk 8GB Micro Cruzer USB Flash Drive

5.0 out of 5 stars Secure data storage for use on any PC anywhere, 16 Feb. 2010
I have long wished I could keep all the data on my PC safe from prying eyes. At last I have found a way. This SanDisk Cruzer does just that. All my files are safely stored on the USB Cruzer, and they are password protected too. Now I can put the USB device in any computer, any where and have access to all of my files. And when I eject the USB, there is nothing of mine left on the PC. I highly recommend this ScanDisk Cruzier USB as a backup device too. I have two of them, and back the 'master' to the 'backup', thus keeping my data safe at all times.

Kiss Me Kate
Kiss Me Kate
Dvd ~ Kathryn Grayson
Offered by TV Depot UK

5.0 out of 5 stars Cole Porter's masterpeace, 19 April 2009
This review is from: Kiss Me Kate (DVD)
MGM made some of the best musicals ever, and Kiss Me Kate was one of their last. However, it is also one of the best. Combine the music of Cole Porter, with the vocal talent of Howard Keel and Kathryn Grayson; the dancing talent of Ann Miller, and a 'new boy' Bob Fosse, and MGM could not miss. Mix that together with Shakespear and you have Kiss Me Kate. Shakespear would have loved it!
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 30, 2014 10:35 PM BST

The Complete Columbia Singles Collection
The Complete Columbia Singles Collection

5.0 out of 5 stars Music from a master vocolist, 19 April 2009
Vic Damone is one of the most successful musicians of the last half of the 20th century. His voice has the warmth with which he sings some of the best songs ever written. The Singles Collection covers a very large range of music styles, and Vic Damone sings all types with apparent effortless ease. He must have enjoyed recording the music. I certainly enjoy listening to his vocal delivery. They simply don't come any better than him!

Page: 1 | 2