ARRAY(0xac23f514)

Profile for Charles Allen > Reviews

Content by Charles Allen

Charles Allen (Bristol, UK)

Page: 1 | 2
Halo Anniversary
Halo Anniversary

3.0 out of 5 stars Terrible CD case, 31 Mar 2013
This review is from: Halo Anniversary (Audio CD)
Haven't had a chance to listen to it yet. I opened up the case to rip the CDs and both discs fell straight out. There is zero grip on the discs and because it's a 2-disc box it's a pain to balance them and shut the thing. I will likely only ever open the box this one time now I have it on the laptop but even so was irritating.

One Love
One Love

5.0 out of 5 stars Seems to be missing a track, 2 Mar 2013
This review is from: One Love (Audio CD)
Seems to be missing "Who's That Chick?" (feat. Rihanna) compared to this listing: One More Love
Instead it seems to have Akon twice.

There's also a 2 CD version with remix CD here: One More Love

Netsky
Netsky

5.0 out of 5 stars Solid Purchase for Melodic DnB Fans, 2 Aug 2011
This review is from: Netsky (Audio CD)
I find myself listening to this surprisingly often. It reminds me quite a lot of High Contrast's High Society although it's a bit smoother and more polished.

- Escape and Mellow are beautiful tracks.
- Pirate Bay is epically dirty

Not really noticed the other tracks but I happily listen through them and don't find myself skipping any.

Definitely worth the money.

Blur (Xbox 360)
Blur (Xbox 360)
Offered by JosephGaming

5.0 out of 5 stars The perfect package, 22 Dec 2010
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Blur (Xbox 360) (Video Game)
Superbly well made game. This game is a beauty to behold. Everything from the intros, the menus, the racing itself is thoroughly polished.

The racing is fun, and comes in as many forms as you can imagine - single player career, local 4 player (massively overlooked in most 360 games), xbox live 20 player.

When you load it up it shows you "previously on blur" highlighting recent unlocks, and how close you are to more. The developers are throwing icing on top of icing on top of a cake. Nothing is forgotten. You can "show off" feats in the game on facebook and twitter even by just hitting one button (no idea why you would... but you can).

AND IT'S £9.99 NOW ON AMAZON! ARE YOU SERIOUS?!?

SteelSeries QcK Gaming Surface Mousepad - StarCraft II Wings Of Liberty Kerrigan vs Zeratul Limited Edition (PC)

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 14 Nov 2010
= Fun:3.0 out of 5 stars
I needed 2 mats, so I bought this (because it looked cool), and a Razer Sphex Gaming Skin.

Pros:

- Glides well
- Large

Cons:

- The material irritates my wrist
- It's too spongey
- Consumes a lot of desk space (Sphex is able to blend into the desk)

Summary
------------------------------

Get the Sphex!

Logitech G9x Laser Mouse
Logitech G9x Laser Mouse
Offered by Tick UK

4.0 out of 5 stars A very decent mouse, 14 Nov 2010
-- Update 02 August 2011 --
I have now had this mouse for about 9 months and it's still going strong. I was given another mouse (Cyborg R.A.T - 7 Mouse (PC)) so I no longer have to transport it everyday. This one is still my preferred mouse. I have used it quite a lot for Starcraft II and it's very good for that too.

-- Original 14 Nov 2010 --
This is the best mouse I have used so far. I transport it between work and home daily so I can use it in both places. This mouse really is approaching perfection.

Pros:

- Smooth
- Accurate
- Custom fit (very comfy)
- Custom weighting (actually think this was useful)
- Side buttons
- Macros (brilliant)
- Profiles (brilliant)

Cons:

- The profile switch button is on the bottom of the mouse which is just plain inconvenient
- The scroll mode change button is also on the bottom*

* Although I've found no use at all for the 2 scroll modes - click mode all the way

Summary
------------------------------

I strongly advise that you grab this mouse if you do any computing at work. The added comfort and increased efficiency will definitely pay off. I'm currently looking at getting a second similar mouse so I can have one at work and one at home. Pair it with a Razer Sphex Gaming Skin.

Razer Sphex Gaming Mouse Mat - Hard Surface
Razer Sphex Gaming Mouse Mat - Hard Surface

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb piece of equipment, 14 Nov 2010
MY BEST PURCHASE IN A LONG TIME

The key points
------------------------------

Some Razor cleverness has produced a product which offers:

- high comfort
- very smooth mouse glide
- brilliant feedback
- no desk space conflict*

* Normally mouse mats are a bit thicker and they prevent your work from encroaching on your mat area. By being very thin, this mat can be large, giving you the freedom at any moment to either maximise the area you give your mouse, or let your work spill out. I find this very useful as I find my desk space is highly dynamic.

The back story
------------------------------

Having just grabbed a copy of Starcraft 2, and knowing that I spend a lot of time interacting with computers, I decided I should invest in a decent mouse (209646: Logitech G9x Laser Mouse (910-001153)), a second external keyboard (Microsoft Arc Keyboard - for home dock - already had 1 in the office), and a travel mouse (Microsoft Arc Mouse - Black - I'm fed up of track pads). When spending all that money it seemed sensible to investigate mouse mats as well. I was highly skeptical that it would make any difference, and they do seem very expensive, but I'm happy to say it was the best thing I bought (and the rest was all pretty good too)!

Microsoft Arc Mouse - Black  (Retail Packaging)
Microsoft Arc Mouse - Black (Retail Packaging)
Offered by Amy`s Schätze

4.0 out of 5 stars Great for travel, 14 Nov 2010
- Small
- Stylish
- Wireless
- USB transmitter housed cleverly under the mouse with magnetism
- Folding the mouse acts as an off switch - very clever

What more do you need?

A few minor gripes:
- For some reason the transmitter is huge - my arc keyboard has a tiny microscopic little transmitter that works brilliantly.
- Why can't keyboard and mouse share a single transmitter instead of wasting 2 USB ports?

Microsoft Arc Keyboard (Retail Packaging)
Microsoft Arc Keyboard (Retail Packaging)

4.0 out of 5 stars Good for style and casual use, 14 Nov 2010
Let's cut to the chase:

- BUY THIS IF YOU WANT A GREAT KEYBOARD FOR A MEDIA CENTER PC OR CASUAL PC USAGE
- DON'T BUY THIS FOR POWER USE

Why you should buy it?
------------------------------

- Small, light and wireless.
- Microscopic USB transmitter, neatly housed in the back through some funky magnetism.
- Most stylish product ever seen out of Microsoft, more beautiful than any of the Apple keyboards, regularly gets a "wow" out of even the most unexpected people.
- Space efficient design, combining the 12 F-keys into 6 buttons, the 4 directional keys into a single button and omitting a num pad.

Mine sits next to my media PC at home and gets used for simple tasks such as web browsing, document writing, controlling Winamp. You can easily control your music from across the room without even looking at the screen. It's very portable, I've dropped the entire keyboard into my bag with ease, although as yet I haven't found a context where this has been useful (usually you travel with a laptop and this only really adds value when you have a separate screen and shut your laptop screen).

Why you shouldn't buy it?
------------------------------

I'm a software developer and on occasion I have tried to use this keyboard to get some serious work done at home. I think this must be about the least sensible thing to do with this keyboard.

- Top row of keys (F keys, home, end, etc) and the directional key are quite hard and don't give a good tactile feedback.
- Single directional key is barely usable for rapid movement (I often use these keys to quickly navigate code or in a document).
- Lack of a num pad is an obvious issue if you want to type a lot of numbers.
- Home, End keys are inconveniently placed.
- The F-keys are a pain to use - F7-F12 all require the use of the fn key.

If you don't use the F-keys, consider that F4 is repeat action in most Office products, alt+F4 kills windows, and F11 brings up full screen browsing in most browsers. More specifically to developing (and I'm sure there are equivalents in many lines of work), F12 brings up the developer tools in IE, and F5, F10 and F11 are important in Visual Studio.

I hope they bring out a slightly bigger version because it is very stylish and portable and I would happily buy a large version for work to compliment my media one at home.

Confidential
Confidential

4.0 out of 5 stars Worth it for the remixes, 25 Oct 2009
This review is from: Confidential (Audio CD)
High Contrast has a delightful melodic drum and bass style that in my view sets him apart from other DnB acts. The first disc contains a selection of his hits, a solid selection from his other albums that represent the High Contrast style well. If you don't own any High Contrast then this is as good an album to buy as any. If you have a good range you probably already own everything on the disc.

The second disc is excellent! A selection of remixes, notably "Adele - Hometown Glory" is fantastic, and his self remix of "The Basement Track" - the so called "Upstairs Downstairs Remix" is also great. This disc is an essential addition for any High Contrast fan as AFAIK they aren't on his previous albums.

Note this album (Confidential) is also available as MP3:
Confidential (UK edition)

I would recommend complimenting this album with his Watch The Ride album which is a bit more intense and brings together some great DnB tracks.

CD Version: Watch the Ride