Profile for Mr. Tobias A. Richards > Reviews

Content by Mr. Tobias A. ...

Mr. Tobias A. Richards "Tobe's List"

Le Noise
Le Noise
Offered by produXa UK
Price: 8.49

3.0 out of 5 stars Curate's Egg, 15 Jun 2012
This review is from: Le Noise (Audio CD)
As most people seem to agree, the best track on the album is probably Peaceful Valley Boulevard, one of the few acoustic tracks on Le Noise. Love and War and The Hitchhiker are pretty decent offerings, but on the whole I think it's one of Neil's more self-indulgant albums. I've pretty much got all of Mr Young's work and as most honest devotees will admit, they can veer from the sublime to the downright unlistenable. From my point of view, this is weirdly enough part of the appeal - always expect the unexpected! Le Noise isn't by any means in the unlistenable category, it's just it can sound a bit samey at times and definitely needs a backing band on the electric numbers. For me, electric guitar only really works within the context of a minimum of bass and drums, whereas acoustic work will happily sit on it's own and often benefits from a simple arrangement (i.e. I can't imagine Sugar Mountain other than with one man and his guitar). For me, Neil's best electric-based songs work best when they're more melodic in tone and less grungey (i.e. Like A Hurricane, Cortez The Killer, Down By The River etc). What I do admire about the veteran Canadian's output most though is he doesn't seem to mellow with age and still seems very capable of coming up with unexpectedly good melodies and lyrics, when his contempories struggle to produce new and exciting work. Being a huge fan of his acoustic work in particular, I'm hoping there's another one of those in the can for the future (Harvest, Comes A Times, Harvest Moon, Silver & Gold etc.). It would also be interesting for Neil to do a collaborative album with other artists. I just heard an unlikely combo of NY and Al Jardine on the Beach Boys guitarist's album, A Postcard From California, where Neil is singing co-lead vocals on one of the tracks - shouldn't work, but it does. So to sum up, not in the Neil Young top 10 albums by any means, but not a bad album either, thus the 3 stars.

Some Enchanted Evening
Some Enchanted Evening
Offered by mrtopseller
Price: 6.00

4.0 out of 5 stars The Art of Art, 27 Jan 2012
This review is from: Some Enchanted Evening (Audio CD)
Groundbreaking - well probably not, but a very nice listen if you like Mr Garfunkel's crystal-clear, smooth as butter delivery. It's a cliché I know, but Art is one of those artists who could sing the Yellow Pages and get away with it. Today we're treated to pretty much every modern singer you would care to name indulging in complicated vocal 'runs' (code for 'where did the melody go?'). Garfunkel plays it straight here as he always has and doesn't insult the writers by 'interpreting' an already classic melody. If you love the oldies as I do, this is a very nice listen, but probably isn't as cutting edge easy listening as some of his earlier recordings. For me, the tracks have a Tom Jobim feel about them - very laid back and beautifully crafted. Not every recording needs to be challenging, or to use that ghastly phrase, contemporary - sometimes nice is the perfect antedote to some of today's overblown diva-ridden rubbish we're subjected to day in day out.

"Beatles" Encyclopedia
"Beatles" Encyclopedia
by Bill Harry

5.0 out of 5 stars Ditto concerning the other review, 29 Aug 2010
This review is from: "Beatles" Encyclopedia (Paperback)
I would echo the second reviewer's comments regarding this impressive tome. To simply write it off as a plagiaristic bore, which reviewer number one seems to do is doing it a major injustice. Bill Harry has compiled highly impressive work here, which is both fun to just dip into for the casual Beatles fan, to the more ardent collector. Even if he sources much of it from other work, this is frequently the case with books of this nature and I see nothing wrong with that at all. For instance I just discovered the 'Blackbird' birdsong came from a sound effects record. The book is full of stuff like this, so please ignore Mr/Miss grumpy and add this interesting book to your collection.

The Very Best Of
The Very Best Of
Offered by A2Z Entertains
Price: 2.99

3.0 out of 5 stars The Very Best of 10cc?, 20 April 2009
This review is from: The Very Best Of (Audio CD)
The first thing I've got to ask is what is the point of this lazy compilation? If you want a hits package by this great underrated band, then don't bother going for this 'made for Tescos' release. The identically titled Very Best of 10cc (from 1998) is a much better package all round. Even the Graham Gouldman-heavy 10cc Greatest Hits..and More is a much better recording by and large.

Personally, I find the inclusion of Wax's 'Bridge to Your Heart' and Hotlegs' 'Neanderthal Man' very out of place on the CD. Also, I know 'Donna' probably should be on a hits package, but to be honest it does seem a little light weight in comparison with some of the band's later tracks. A properly thought out box set is well overdue to re-establish 10cc as so much more than a 70's glamrock era singles band. So much of their creative brilliance is sadly missing from this recording. Why not include many of the better album tracks missing from this comp such as: Somewhere in Hollywood, Une Nuit a Paris, Don't Hang Up, Old Wild Men, Worst Band in the World, Second Sitting for the Last Supper, Hotel, Brand New Day, etc. Plus the frequently overlooked early Godley & Creme singles, Five O'Clock in the Morning and An English in New York.

I did manage to stagger to the 3 star mark simply because there's no denying the quality of the songs on show here. It's just the sheer predictability of them that makes this such a frustratingly unimaginative release. But if you do like what's on show, please do yourself a seriously big favour and check out Sheet Music and The Original Soundtrack - probably two of the greatest albums of the last 40 years!

Kamakiriad
Kamakiriad
Price: 6.68

4.0 out of 5 stars No longer gathering dust!, 28 July 2008
This review is from: Kamakiriad (Audio CD)
I must admit I bought Kamakiriad shortly after it first came out - stuck it into the CD player and was hugely disappointed after one play. It certainly wasn't The Nightfly..or Gaucho..or Aja...or...well you get my drift! Anyhow, it got filed away on the 'shelf of no return' where similar titles sit gathering dust.

But a few months ago I finally collected all the Steely Dan CDs on remastered reissues and started playing them every night while I was preparing supper. So for some reason I thought I'd give the dust gatherer another shot and must admit it started to grow on me, albeit slowly. So I played it the following few nights and it dawned on me that I was really enjoying this relative Fagen flop. Now, it's a regular on my playlist and to be honest I can't quite understand why it didn't appeal on first play.

I do think that it is one of those that needs a little time to fully 'get' and maybe the MOR muzak impression it first gives can be a little off-putting. If you leap into this after liking Can't Buy a Thrill or Pretzel Logic then it probably will leave a bad impression, but if you ease into the whole back catalogue, it won't seem quite so different. Great standout tracks to my ears are: Snowbound, Florida Room, Tomorrow's girls and On the Dunes. I am giving it 4 stars instead of 5 because, despite my lavishing praise on it, it still isn't quite The Nightfly - mind you, what is!

A bit like this album, Everything Must Go and Morph the Cat aren't instant hits on first play, but please persist with them, they're equally addictive Fagen/Dan albums. My one non-runner from MTC though, has to be the irritating Brite Nighgown ....urghhhhh.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 1, 2012 5:13 PM GMT

Citizen Steely Dan: 1972-1980
Citizen Steely Dan: 1972-1980
Offered by MEGA Media FBA
Price: 30.36

5.0 out of 5 stars Dantastic!, 1 July 2008
Not so much a box set per se, but a back to back album collection from the first seven Dan albums. In one sense this might seem a little lazy, but to be honest, it's very hard selecting (or de-selecting) any specific numbers from the dynamic duo. The remastering is a bonus if you haven't collected the majority of the set on individual albums - plus you get a few bonus numbers thrown in for good measure.

My one disappointment with the set is the omission of the early SD single, Dallas/Sail the Waterway. These two fine songs I believe are currently only available on a long deleted 12" single. Lyrically, maybe these two songs don't quite fit in the SD pantheon, but musically they're very much in the style of Can't Buy a Thrill. But all in all, this is a very minor quibble in an otherwise superb collection.