Profile for A. L. Taylor > Reviews

Content by A. L. Taylor

A. L. Taylor "tonka_taylor" (Wirral, England)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Berghaus Snowline Gaiter All PurposeBlack - Large/X Large, long
Berghaus Snowline Gaiter All PurposeBlack - Large/X Large, long

3.0 out of 5 stars Tough but sweaty, 18 April 2012
I had some misgivings about these since they did not claim to be made of Goretex (or similar) but the price was good. Having worn them on a holiday in the Lake District, they were very sweaty but kept my lower legs warm and protected from snow and wet vegetation. I was also worried about the velcro fastening on the front, but they proved to be the easiest gaiters to put on that I have ever used. They are not something to wear on every walk, but they are worth the money.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent value for money, 28 Nov 2011
Compared to a slightly older DELL IPS monitor of a similar size (but slightly lower resolution) the improvement is very clear when first switched on - the LED backlight is great compared to the flourescent backlight in the old monitor. Overall it seems to do its job brilliantly - would buy another one if I could!

C# in Depth
C# in Depth
by Jon Skeet

4.0 out of 5 stars Bring your skills up-to-date, 24 Jan 2011
This review is from: C# in Depth (Paperback)
This book is aimed squarely it programmers who have used C# for a while, but possibly learned using an older version of the language. It carefully goes through the changes in the language since version 1 and takes the trouble to explain why the changes have been made. Being squarely in this category myself, I am finding it a good fit. Some changes I am finding conceptually difficult (closures and lambda functions in particular) but believe I will get there with persistence. It is not a book for C# beginners, but does not pretend to be.

Pentel P205 automatic Pencil 0.5mm - single pack
Pentel P205 automatic Pencil 0.5mm - single pack

5.0 out of 5 stars The best auto-pencil I know, 24 Jan 2011
I have tried quite a number of different makes of pencil over the years and these always last a lot longer than the others. Most of my Pentels have been lost or "borrowed" rather fallen to bits and these are a much better price than you get on the high street. Work very well with the paper in Moleskine notebooks :-)

SanDisk 8GB 45MB/s Extreme HD Video SDHC Card (Packaging Varies)
SanDisk 8GB 45MB/s Extreme HD Video SDHC Card (Packaging Varies)

4.0 out of 5 stars Fast and good quality, 24 Jan 2011
No problems at all with these cards once they arrived (were delayed a few days). Used with a Panasonic SDR50 video recorder and Canon G12 camera flawlessly so far. Have bought a number of lower capacity Sandisk cards before and would buy them again.

Swordfish 1000XC 10 Sheet Cross Cut Paper/Document Shredder ref: 45009
Swordfish 1000XC 10 Sheet Cross Cut Paper/Document Shredder ref: 45009

4.0 out of 5 stars Swordfish - so far so good, 19 Nov 2010
We have had 2 previous shredders that have needed frequent disassembling to extract the built up of paper within the mechanism. The first one was a strip shredder and it jammed if you put an envelope through it. The last was a cross-cut shredder that could cope (just) with an envelope, but if you shredded more than about 20 pages one after the other, you had to run it in reverse for a while then manually try to dislodge loads of strips. Frankly they have been more of a curse than a benefit so far.

When I bought this shredder I decided to go a bit more up-market hoping for better reliability and longevity. In my experience no shredder can shred the number of pages it is rated for - usually about half that number shows significant struggling. This one seems to cope better than most I have used (and certainly much better than the 2 I have owned). It is also significantly quieter than the previous ones - only bettered in this respect by a MUCH more expensive and larger office one. I have yet to have it jam at all, and the paper appears not to squeeze into the mechanism too much. I have hopes that it will be much easier to use over the long term than my old ones, so I am happy with my purchase. Shredding has almost become pleasurable!

BT Compatible I-Plate Interstitial Plate - ADSL
BT Compatible I-Plate Interstitial Plate - ADSL
Offered by PixelHeaven

5.0 out of 5 stars What an improvement!, 4 Jun 2010
I have to say I was dubious, but having almost reconciled myself to having to buy a replacement router, this seemed worth trying at the price. Delivered within a day and very easy to install. Logged onto the router to look at the connection speed and my jaw nearly hit the floor. I had been getting download speeds of 2Mbps with occasional boosts to nearly 3Mbps and this simple step had boosted it to 6.5Mbps!

Maybe my setup was optimal for improvement, so I shall describe it: The master socket is in the hall and the router is connected to a hard-wired extension of about 20m in our middle room. The wires for this used to be used by an ISDN BT HomeHighway link, but this was converted to a "normal" socket when I upgraded to broadband a number of years ago. There are several other hard-wired extensions in the house, all fitted with ADSL filters.

If you have any doubts about trying this out, don't hesitate. Before the switch I was accumulating huge numbers of uncorrected errors on my router, even though it was running so slowly. Now, it has been running for several hours at the new speed and has only a handful. If I get a chance I shall update this review with further details, especially if the reliability improvements are for real. Very pleased so far.

The Carpet People: Illustrated Edition
The Carpet People: Illustrated Edition
by Terry Pratchett

2.0 out of 5 stars Shame Shame Shame, 30 Sep 2009
Let me make one thing very clear - I have loved this book since I borrowed a first edition from our local library many, many years ago. My complaints do not refer to the story, just to the extremely disappointing packaging of this edition.

When I stumbled across a paperback edition of the revised book in Manchester airport, I was very sad to see that the illustrations that I had been captivated by as a child were not present. It was like a copy of Winnie-the-Pooh without the original illustrations - unthinkable. I had thought that the hardback edition would restore them, but no such luck. I even contemplated trying to get hold of a first edition until I found out how much such a thing would cost (gulp!). Then I saw that this edition was going to be released which contained the illustrations. I was very, very happy.

However, when I received the copy yesterday I was devastated to find that, not only had the writing been printed on very inferior quality paper, but the format of the book did absolutely no favours to the illustrations at all. OK, they had been printed on glossy paper, but they had all been bound into one clump and because the size of the book was so small, much of the detail was lost. The larger format pictures from the original book (eg the Hymetors and the Wights) had been so compressed as to be next to useless. Worst of all, by far the best picture in the original book - a double page spread illustrating a sugar crystal surrounded by a mass of licking creatures of all shapes and sizes - was not there at all. A real tragedy!

So, if you are wanting to get this book as a cheap alternative to a first edition, forget it. The book is brilliant to read, but this edition is a massive disappointment.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 27, 2011 1:32 PM BST

Flymo Turbo 400 1500W Electric Hover Lawn Mower
Flymo Turbo 400 1500W Electric Hover Lawn Mower
Offered by Platinum Home and Garden

4.0 out of 5 stars Good so far, 15 Sep 2009
Seems to be as tough as nails and quite powerful. It has made cutting the horribly boggy grass/weeds under our orchard possible - something we failed to achieve with a petrol rotary mower because it kept sinking in and tearing the ground up. Worth the money, imho.

Whit
Whit
by Iain Banks

3.0 out of 5 stars This is not a "funny" book, 15 Sep 2009
This review is from: Whit (Paperback)
It may have some black humour and biting sarcasm but this novel won't make you smile much. I love Iain Banks' SF works (and most of them are pretty dour too), but having read "The Crow Road" I was hoping for something more light-hearted than this. Don't get me wrong - the story was good and I will probably read it again. Maybe I have to accept that IB really is that bitter.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3