Profile for Gareth Holloway > Reviews

Content by Gareth Holloway

Gareth Holloway

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Plants Vs Zombies: Garden Warfare (Xbox One)
Plants Vs Zombies: Garden Warfare (Xbox One)
Price: 29.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome Fun, 2 Mar 2014
It's a shame people are voting this 1 star because either 1: They didn't read the box to find out it's Xbox Live only, or 2: Amazon didn't advertise as Xbox live only.
As far as the game itself is concerned, it's really good fun. Call of duty/Battlefield style action using the PvZ universe. Lots of fun and satisfaction and there is nothing about this game that would ever warrant a 1 star rating.
If you have Xbox Live and you understand what kind of game this is and like the sound of it, I totally recommend it. It's great fun.

Zoo Tycoon (Xbox One)
Zoo Tycoon (Xbox One)
Offered by RUGELEY GAMES
Price: 31.99

1.0 out of 5 stars Ruined by a major flaw, 18 Feb 2014
This review is from: Zoo Tycoon (Xbox One) (Video Game)
Started being really good until the Zoo Limit ruined everything. You have a huge space to work with but once you fill up about a quarter of it you can build no more.
Bang goes planning and designing my cool zoo.

Call of Duty: Ghosts (Xbox One)
Call of Duty: Ghosts (Xbox One)
Offered by 666 Media
Price: 19.95

2.0 out of 5 stars Multiplayer review, 14 Jan 2014
= Fun:2.0 out of 5 stars
I've had this since Christmas now and have played it a fair amount. Not masses, but easily enough to have given it a chance.
I can honestly say it has nowhere near as much fun value as Black ops 2. The maps are too big and messy, and it often takes too long to find someone. You die before you know you're being shot at half the time. It's too easy to camp, and just a bunch of other reasons. Mainly it just doesn't feel fun.

I thought I'd pop on here and mention this because I just had an hour on black ops 2 and had a whale of a time.
And I decided to give it 2 stars because apparently the campaign is good and I actually do enjoy Infected, despite the boosters.

Electronic Pictionary Man
Electronic Pictionary Man
Offered by The Entertainer
Price: 14.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Too hard, 6 Jan 2014
= Durability:5.0 out of 5 stars  = Fun:2.0 out of 5 stars  = Educational:3.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Electronic Pictionary Man (Toy)
Seemed like a fun game, but the clues are too often way too difficult. Not only that but we expected the clues to be more to do with people, since the main focus of the game was the white man we are to draw on, but with clues like "Make ends meet", or "Turn the tables", or "Break the bank", why would we need the man? We found ourselves drawing on his prop block most of the time and even then were stumped on how to draw half the clues.
In the end we decided to invent our own clues. It's much more fun to draw superman, or indiana jones or whatever on the man as apposed to things like "Deadliest catch".

Amarok [HDCD]
Amarok [HDCD]
Offered by nagiry
Price: 4.80

5.0 out of 5 stars Bliss, 1 Nov 2013
This review is from: Amarok [HDCD] (Audio CD)
It's only been about a month since I was (And still am) totally wowed by Omadawn. I'd heard it a couple of times before and like it but after another listen or so I really dug the whole thing. So I went in search of more MO albums.
I've read good reviews about this album and so I decided to try it. Like a lot of people say, upon first listen I was kinda disappointed. Between the weird sounds of a digital voice saying "Happy?" and the album jumping from one piece of music to the next, I thought it was just an experimental mish mash.
Now however, the "Happy?" voice doesn't sound weird at all, and every jump in music brings expectation of another piece I can't wait to hear.
Now I don't want to stop listening. I've already listened to it twice this afternoon, and I think I'm gonna put it on again. I can't help it. It's soooo good. Just give it a chance and you might find yourself in audio bliss.
Or maybe it's just not your thing, but try it anyway.

Vlad The Impaler [2005] [DVD]
Vlad The Impaler [2005] [DVD]
Dvd ~ George Angelescu
Price: 18.58

1.0 out of 5 stars Sooo poor it's funny, 23 Sep 2013
This is probably the worst made dvd in the history of man.
The presentation is so appalling that once the initial shock wears off it actually becomes quite funny. For instance, at the beginning there are shots of various people asking questions about vlad. Not only is it obvious that they have just been told to ask these questions, but in one shot you can clearly hear someone's telephone ringing. Was it too much to ask for a second take?
Then you go onto 10 minutes talking about a castle that they even say at the start is not connected to Vlad. Why? Not only that but they even go to the trouble of describing how one of the rooms in this castle was turned into a music room because of it's great acoustics. So what? It goes on to talk about various pieces of furniture in this castle.... you know.. the castle that Vlad had no involvement in.
After a while it does finally direct it's attention to vlad and provide some information, but I found it hard to focus past the distracting weird music.
To me it looks like this documentary was filmed in the early 80's by someone who has no knowledge or experience in filming, or documentary making.

Plus the dvd looked like it was burned onto a pack of dvds bought from asda and the case smelled kinda fishy.
I shit you not.

I recommend it purely as it has to be experienced to be believed........ plus it eventually has a few useful facts thrown in.

Warm Bodies [DVD]
Warm Bodies [DVD]
Dvd ~ Nicholas Hoult
Price: 4.26

5.0 out of 5 stars Probably the best heartwarming Zombie movie ever., 23 Aug 2013
This review is from: Warm Bodies [DVD] (DVD)
I'm only really saying that because it's the only heartwarming Zombie movie I've seen, but It really is heartwarming, and I can't imagine it's previously been done as well as this.
It's really easy to hear about the premise of this movie and instantly imagine it to be a cheap wacky movie about a zombie who falls in love, but it's done is clever enough way for it to be pulled off as a respectable concept. The movie definitely has ever so slightly silly comedy elements, but I don't think they take you away from a believable universe.

The characters are very likeable (Especially R and his best friend).
The music is really nice and enhances the touching scenes quite nicely.
The only thing I didn't like was the CGI of the Bonies, but I pretty much hate most CGI.

Overall I recommend this movie to anyone.

F1 Race Stars (PS3)
F1 Race Stars (PS3)
Offered by Gameline GmbH.
Price: 6.99

2.0 out of 5 stars Don't buy if you want to win., 10 July 2013
= Fun:3.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: F1 Race Stars (PS3) (Video Game)
At first glance this may look like a light hearted fun racing game, but beware, it may have you feeling pissed off more than anything else whenever you play it.
This is mainly due to how unfair the races are. It really doesn't matter how good you are at the game, you can be at 1st place and racing like a pro but you'll get hit by unavoidable enemy attacks all the time. Only 2 hits and you'll need to visit the pit stop for repair (Either that or suffer a speed penalty). It feels like skills is only a small factor in whether or not you win, and the larger factor is luck.
Other unfair factors are that the enemy always get speed starts, and their speed starts begin from the very moment the race starts (rather than the split second it takes for you brain to register it's begun and accelerate), so they always get a better start guaranteed, and they always take the shortcuts, and they always use "kers".
One factor that helps is that most events are at least 3 race tournaments, and it's not always the same racer that wins, so as long as you come at least 3rd in each race then you have a chance of finishing overall first, but it's still a frustrating race.
In my opinion I don't recommend this game unless you don't care about winning races using old fashioned skill.

Oz the Great and Powerful [DVD]
Oz the Great and Powerful [DVD]
Dvd ~ James Franco
Price: 5.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Exceeded expectations, 3 Jun 2013
I wanted to see this movie ever since I saw a huge cardboard placard showing the wonderful colours and characters. Still, I had an idea it could possibly be a run of the mill, all visuals and no substance movie, but I was still looking forward to it.
I believe Sam Raimi has definitely created a movie that is a worthy prequel to the original.
There's plenty enough emotion, clever tie ins, and loveable characters, not to mention a great climax.

Simply Meditation
Simply Meditation
Price: 6.25

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, 14 Nov 2012
This review is from: Simply Meditation (Audio CD)
I bought a relaxation compilation CD a while ago at a car boot sale. I found that my favorite tracks on the compilation were all included in this boxset, so I bought it, and have been very impressed.
I've had it for a year now and I listen to it very often (apart from the sound of nature CD which is literally just sound of nature, but still nice).
Each CD has a different theme to it. Celtic, Eastern, electronic and nature. They are all wonderfully put together with nice tuneful tracks that really draw you into a relaxing trance.
Try spotify to give a few tracks a chance.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3