Profile for LEEthebookworm > Reviews

Content by LEEthebookworm

LEEthebookworm (UK)

The Great Gatsby (Penguin Popular Classics)
The Great Gatsby (Penguin Popular Classics)
by F Scott Fitzgerald

5.0 out of 5 stars Classic!, 28 Oct. 2010
This book is an American classic and you just have to read it to see why!

The descriptive writing, character musings mixed with a potent romantic language makes the book magical. I find Fitzgerald's words hypnotic and can sit and read this book from cover to cover. I feel as if I am back in the day, at one of Gatsby's parties, in the open top cars, at a gathering, working as selling bonds. It's facinating, enthralling and a different class of classic as it's accessible today, you understand the problems, empathise, love, hate and enjoy every single situation, every word. I love this book - it's amazing!

Birth of a Killer (The Saga of Larten Crepsley, Book 1)
Birth of a Killer (The Saga of Larten Crepsley, Book 1)
by Darren Shan

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant!, 28 Oct. 2010
I love this book - it's so easy to read and although it's another vampire story, it's got an edge, it's bit different and thoroughly enjoyable. It takes the story back to before Cirque de Freak and The Vampire's Assistant to how it all began. I love the characters' names, the descriptions, the story in general. Shan is an excellent story teller and I cannot wait for the next instalment!!

Reflections from a Broken Mirror
Reflections from a Broken Mirror
by Andrew Barber

5.0 out of 5 stars a good read, 28 Oct. 2010
I wasn't sure what to expect, as to be honest, I hadn't heard of the guy, but the book is really interesting. It has timeless and up to date subject matter and uses a mix of styles. Some of the poems are set to music and a link is in the book, I found this quite interesting too - something a bit different. I quite enjoyed the whole experience, it certainly makes poetry more appealing and this book sheds the boring, old-fashioned image poetry is well-known for. It's a really good price and a decent sized book.

The Terrible Twos - A Parent's Guide
The Terrible Twos - A Parent's Guide
by Everington

5.0 out of 5 stars Informative and useful guide to the 'terrible' twos, 17 Oct. 2010
With so much choice of the terrible two help-guide, I picked this one as it looked modern compared to some of the books on offer. I know from friends just having their first babies that the advice I was given by midwives is different 2 years on, so I wanted a book that was up to date too.

I found this book easy to read, useful and informative. It's a handy guide and one I've referred to a few times since purchasing it. As a first time mum I've found the advice and tips so helpful, as well as the case studies, which make me think, phew we're normal! My daughter isn't naughty by any means, but is prone to tantrums due to frustration and she's a fussy eater to say the least! This book certainly helps when you are uncertain what to do next and it's quite reasonably priced too. I also like the fact the author is a parent and has experienced the terrible twos herself. Definitely worth investing in.