Profile for W. Rye > Reviews

Content by W. Rye

W. Rye "woozle" (isle of wight)

Botanico Let's Grow Salad and Vegetable Planter With Willow Hurdle
Botanico Let's Grow Salad and Vegetable Planter With Willow Hurdle

4.0 out of 5 stars good salad planter, 12 Jun 2012
I bought this to plant salad leaves and spring onion, as I have small raised beds that are full of other things!

This product was easy to assemble: just put the poles into the plastic liner as a rigid rim, then fold the willow hurdles around the outside and tie them together with the wire already attached (brown wire - easy to miss).

I put loads of broken up polystyrene in the bottom as 80 litres of compost is quite costly. Then covered to the brim with mult-purpose compost, planted with lettuce plug plants, plus sowed lettuce seeds alongside for later plants.

So far working very well, and am pleased with this product for the price. It looks nice too.

One point - fill with compost in situ, as you wouldn't be able to move this afterwards. The plastic bottom would scrape and tear if you tried to drag it across a concrete patio for instance when full of compost and plants, so find it's position first, then fill!

Paul Lamond Games Simpsons 750 Piece puzzle Citizens
Paul Lamond Games Simpsons 750 Piece puzzle Citizens

5.0 out of 5 stars Addictive, but tricky!, 2 Jan 2012
Bought this for my two boys, who love the Simpsons. Maybe I was a little ambitious for them, because boy there are a lot of little puzzle pieces! I'm not a 'puzzler', but I decided to start them off, so duly poured them out onto the table and off I went. That is when I discovered how devious the artist has been, as all the characters have very similar faces, and if you try and match a piece to the picture on the box, you will find that particular hair colour, clothing colour, or expression is repeated numerous times over the puzzle.

That said, I am completely and utterly hooked. It's addictive, and I found myself sneaking off at various times to put another piece on (or two, or three). I now have about 50% done, and will reluctantly relinquish this puzzle to my 8 and 10 year old.

It's a beautifully done puzzle, and I love it, but I would suggest it's for older rather than younger children, but if you like puzzles you will probably enjoy helping out!

7lbs in 7 Days Super Juice Diet
7lbs in 7 Days Super Juice Diet

5.0 out of 5 stars Honest, informative and inspiring, 2 Jan 2012
I am not new to juicing, and have various other juicing books, but having bought this book, I am hooked on Jason Vale's style of writing. This guy lives, breathes and obviously drinks his juices! He is very passionate, and that shines through.

The first part of the book, which he insists you read if you are truly dedicated to doing the 7 day plan, is very informative, and gives you real inspiration for wanting to get on with it. He also makes it clear that preparation is the key to success, so you'll need to get your produce, equipment, supplements and mind set ready if you truly want to succeed. It is also in this part that his frustration with the medical 'establishment' comes out, as he has clearly been knocked for some of his suggestions, despite his evidence of taking unhealthy people to amazing wellness. I have real sympathy with him here, as the medical profession would often prefer people to take medication than heal themselves with nutrition.

The juices themselves are great, and he explains just why they are so good after each recipe. That is inspiring, knowing just what these juices are doing for you, and certainly is the part that gets me hooked.

It's a good book. Maybe part 1 goes on a bit, but I read it all the same, and found it inspiring and informative. His style of writing is relaxed, blunt and very easy to read. His enthusiasm shines through. If you prefer a more formal style, this may not suit you, but was just great for me. Proper juicing with vegetables isn't always easy, and you may need this guys enthusiasm and energy to get you over a hurdle or two.

I will be adding to my Jason Vale book collection soon.

WellBake Silicone Baking Mat (38cm x 30cm). Heavy Duty Non-Stick Silicone Bakeware + 10 Year Guarantee
Offered by WellBake Ltd

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice baking mat, 19 July 2011
Great mat, perfect for cookies which always stick to my non stick pans. Have also used it for chips, as it washes up brilliantly in the dishwasher. Wish it was a bit longer.

Tiddler book and CD
Tiddler book and CD
by Julia Donaldson

3.0 out of 5 stars Not bad, 18 Oct 2010
This review is from: Tiddler book and CD (Paperback)
I really like Julia Donaldson, especially the Gruffalo story. This one is pretty good, but I find the rhyme less sophisticated and amusing than her other stories. Even so, this is a good little tale, nicely illustrated, but doesn't have quite the same impact as her previous efforts. The CD is nice with good sound effects. My 9 year old still loves the gruffalo, but Tiddler is definitely for the much younger reader, I would say 5 to 6 years.

Rocket Dog Women's Beckett Wedge Boot Black Beckett 6 UK
Rocket Dog Women's Beckett Wedge Boot Black Beckett 6 UK

3.0 out of 5 stars Nice boots, too tight, 27 Nov 2009
These boots arrived promptly, and looked great. Unfortunatley, my feet are quite wide and these boots were way too tight. I think they would be great if you are narrow or just normal width.