Profile for Torben Breindahl > Reviews

Torben Breindahl (Denmark)

Breaking Clays: Target Tactics, Tips and Techniques
Breaking Clays: Target Tactics, Tips and Techniques
by Chris Batha

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent introduction (and guide for the more advanced), 23 May 2008
This book is in my opinion an excellent guide for beginners. I was my first book on the subject and I can highly recommend it. All aspects of clay shooting are covered, both the technical details as well as equipment, rules, tips & tricks and training advice. It has a well balanced view on different shooting methods and does not favor any particular style or technique. I like that because some authors (like John Bidwell) spend too many pages praising their own approach to clay shooting.
The book is very well illustrated and easy to read. You can jump back and forward between chapters, which can be read independently. It has a good bibliography section and a special chapter on the mental aspects of shooting.
All together a good investment, that you can use as a reference. I would expect that the more advanced and experienced shooters could also benefit from studying this book.
This hardcover print is of high quality (photos, paper quality).

The Wines of Rioja (Mitchell Beazley Classic Wine Library)
The Wines of Rioja (Mitchell Beazley Classic Wine Library)
by John Radford

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book on the wines of Rioja, 29 Jan. 2007
This is not a typical wine book. It is not illustrated, however, it is fully loaded with detailed information on the bodegas of Rioja. The author is obviously an expert, which is demonstrated in his book on Spanish Wines ("The New Spain"). This book on the wines of Rioja starts with a historical review leading to an interesting discussion of the current regulations for wine production. A questionnaire, which was sent round to the bodegas by the author, is included. The first 71 pages contain a description of the wines, grapes, wine culture and history of Rioja. The remaining pages contain a directory and an appendix - quite detailed - often telling the personal / family history of each bodega. This is the real interesting part, which I will enjoy using in future. I would never travel through Rioja without bringing the book. As a guide travelling through Rioja and for a wine collector or buyer it must be essential. Be prepared for a wine book, which is somewhat theoretical, but certainly very interesting and inspiring.

Moon Palace
Moon Palace
by Paul Auster

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the authors best books!, 6 July 2006
This review is from: Moon Palace (Paperback)
I totally disagree with the negative critics of "Moon Palace". The NY trilogy is a great work, however, this is in my opinion a very moving and touching story. "Moon Palace", "Mr. Vertigo" and "The Book of Illusions" are books I will always remember and definitely re-read. Books like "Timbuktu", "The Brooklyn Follies" and "Oracle Night" did not have the same emotional or "metaphysical" impact on me as a reader, but "Moon Palace" certainly did.

Weather you are going to like it or not depend entirely on YOU. Reading the reviews above clearly demonstrates this!

Being a great fan of Paul Auster, I have enjoyed all his books and been very fortunate to read some of them in Danish before they were published in English. Thank you Mr. Auster!!!
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 27, 2010 2:34 PM GMT

Total Immersion: The Revolutionary Way To Swim Better, Faster, and Easier
Total Immersion: The Revolutionary Way To Swim Better, Faster, and Easier
by Terry Laughlin

3.0 out of 5 stars Difficult to do the drills without the DVD instructions, 6 July 2006
The TI techniques and drills are excellent; however, they are not easy to do without proper instruction and/or the use of the DVD.

The DVD should be included with the book (therefore only 3 stars)! Images tell you much more than words - it's easier to copy and mentally visualize the drills when you have actually seen them performed.

I try to put the instructions into practise and it has improved my freestyle swimming (I only swim in the ocean). I wish that Terry Laughlin would comment more on ocean swimming techniques in future editions as books on this subject are rare.

Chi Running: A Revolutionary Approach to Effortless, Injury-free Running
Chi Running: A Revolutionary Approach to Effortless, Injury-free Running
by Danny Dreyer

5.0 out of 5 stars Highly recommended book, 6 July 2006
I read many books about running and this is the first I have encountered that seriously discusses running posture / style and the biomechanics of running from a practical viewpoint. Don't be scared by the title "Chi Running" - there is nothing supernatural about these techniques - in fact it is as natural as it can be! However, we need to re-learn HOW to run (like we did when we were kids!) - in an effortless way, free of injuries. Danny Dreyer guides you through a system where you use the core (and core muscles) in a more effective way through a forward body lean. The idea of effective body movement through the use of core muscles is also found in Terry Laughlin: "Total immersion" - a guide on swimming.

I won't go into more detail here - I will leave that to the author of "Chi Running"!

The book is filled with additional information on running, but the instruction on the running posture is what makes it so special and worth studying. I try to put the instructions into practise, step by step, and I feel it's working. My speed has improved and I am much more aware of keeping a proper technique through the races, which makes running long distances more enjoyable.

The instructor in my gym (professional sport instructor) borrowed the book and started running again after a long break - now he is free from previous injuries that prevented him from running.

For those of us who don't have a Chi-running instructor nearby, the video instruction is necessary. It should be included with the book.

The Complete Guide to Navy SEAL Fitness (Official Five Star Fitness Guides)
The Complete Guide to Navy SEAL Fitness (Official Five Star Fitness Guides)
by Stewart Smith

5.0 out of 5 stars Great program - good source of inspiration for all-round athletes, 5 July 2006
This is an awesome book, however it is not directly applicable for amateurs and all-round athletes. It contains special guidance for those who want to join the Navy SEALs with a 12-week preparation program before attending BUD/s! However, if you divide the reps in all programs by a factor 2 (!!), or simply just adopt the training principles (like the PT pyramid etc.) you will ultimately benefit from the advice of Stewart Smith. The callisthenics are inspiring and I have included several variations I my daily workout.

What I find excellent about the book is that it inspires you too aim high not letting the mind hinder you. My own performance in the gym has progressed a lot in push-up/pull-up sessions, bar-dips etc after going for higher repetitions until total exhaustion. This is NOT a body-building program, but it makes you really strong and able to use your muscles, which is the main purpose!!

I can highly recommend that you get the DVD, which covers these exercises, including the sidestroke swimming technique that I didn't know before reading this book.

You might also consider buying another book of Stewart Smith: Maximum Fitness.

Build Muscle, Lose Fat, Look Great: Everything You Need to Know to Transform Your Body
by Stuart McRobert

4.0 out of 5 stars A good compendium on weight training and general fitness, 4 July 2006
I highly recommend this book for beginners and experienced athletes, who want a refreshing view on modern training techniques. It is a very detailed book filled with good advice presented by the author in a very personal way. It is the first book I have read on this subject that contains in-depth information and guidelines on safety, risk factors, training moral & ethics, mental attitudes etc. I also enjoyed the chapter on "How too handle weights between exercises", a topic which is seldom mentioned in other books. The author has strong opinions on drug abuse in connection with body-building as well as the classical "myths" and general misinformation, which is widespread and accepted in many training environments.

The cover page and title of the book gave me a negative impression to start with (for me it sends the wrong signals). However, after reading it my opinion totally changed. The sound advice in this book made me change several exercise routines and quit using some machines, which I now consider to present a risk.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 21, 2008 12:49 PM GMT