Profile for john boyle > Reviews

john boyle

Page: 1 | 2
Land that Lost Its Heroes: How Argentina Lost the Falklands War
Land that Lost Its Heroes: How Argentina Lost the Falklands War

5.0 out of 5 stars Everything you never knew about the Malvinas/Falklands conflict., 30 Dec. 2014
A fantastic read which shows the conflict from both sides a must read for people with a interest in both sides of the story.

McMafia: Seriously Organised Crime
McMafia: Seriously Organised Crime

4.0 out of 5 stars mcmafia the scale of global corruption, 13 Nov. 2014
Shocking reading it beggars belief the amount of global corruption and the number of governments that turn a blind eye or actively promote it.

Broken Angels (Katie Maguire Book 2)
Broken Angels (Katie Maguire Book 2)

5.0 out of 5 stars purchased on a whim and gripped all the way, 17 Sept. 2014
I can't remember when I got this but it sat on my kindle quite a while like so many other impulse buys. But when I finally began it I was gripped all the way. A really fantastic read with great twists and characters.

La Plata Sangrienta (Blood and Silver)
La Plata Sangrienta (Blood and Silver)

3.0 out of 5 stars blood in the river plate, 3 Sept. 2014
A very good book where the ghosts of Argentinas dirty war return from the rio de la plata to confront those who betrayed them to the military.

The Unforgivable (Wounds of South America Book 1)
The Unforgivable (Wounds of South America Book 1)

3.0 out of 5 stars The Unforgivable forgiven., 31 Aug. 2014
A very good read. I have lived in Buenos Aires for the last 11 years and watched the dirty warriors being frog marched up the steps to face trial. Their crimes were such that I don,t agree with the authors forgiveness in gods name or anybody else's. I respect her right to try and sell it but I could not purchase. What the victims went through was beyond forgiveness. Roughly 500 of those murdered were pregnant women. Using a DNA database they have now (aug2014) managed to find 115 baby's born in captivity whose mothers were then murdered.
I would be firmly with the books character paloma.

At Bonus Time, No One Can Hear You Scream (Dave Hart 1)
At Bonus Time, No One Can Hear You Scream (Dave Hart 1)

3.0 out of 5 stars no tears shed for these vultures, 9 April 2014
If you have followed the banking crisis with utter dismay, we'll this book will introduce you to the characters behind it. Pathetic and shallow does not even come close.
I gave it 3 because it was a great read but not a classic.

Hubris: How HBOS Wrecked the Best Bank in Britain
Hubris: How HBOS Wrecked the Best Bank in Britain

3.0 out of 5 stars HBOS and Northern Rock the Del Boys of banking, 21 Mar. 2014
It was a bit heavier than I expected but I soon learned that it needed to be. The gross incompetence and arrogance fuelled by greed propelled the bank(HBOS) towards an inevitable disaster. How were they ever allowed to lend in that fashion in the first place?.

Dirty Secrets, Dirty War
Dirty Secrets, Dirty War

5.0 out of 5 stars Buenos Aires during the dirty war., 5 Mar. 2014
I live in Buenos Aires so I follow the subject of Argentina's dirty war very closely. Robert Cox was incredibly brave (or perhaps stupid) to have stayed in Buenos Aires as long as he did through that period. But in doing so he saved many lives. I highly recommend this book.
John Boyle
Buenos Aires

Kindle, 6" E Ink Display, Wi-Fi (Previous Generation - 5th)
Kindle, 6" E Ink Display, Wi-Fi (Previous Generation - 5th)

5.0 out of 5 stars How did i ever live with out one, 16 Dec. 2013
I live in Argentina so books in English are hard to come by and the choice is limited to whatever the shops have or whatever an expat may leaves behind. So kindle has changed my world. I am now a bookworm again.

101 best jokes
101 best jokes

1.0 out of 5 stars 101 fairly lame jokes, 16 Dec. 2013
This review is from: 101 best jokes (Kindle Edition)
Not very good really. but as it was free I suppose I should not complain too much.
I don't think I laughed once.

Page: 1 | 2