Profile for Andrea Smith > Reviews

Content by Andrea Smith

Andrea Smith (London, UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-18
Cloakroom Tickets, 1 to 1000
Cloakroom Tickets, 1 to 1000
Offered by Bargain Warehouse
Price: 1.72

4.0 out of 5 stars Decent enough, 25 Aug 2011
This review is from: Cloakroom Tickets, 1 to 1000 (Toy)
Despite the pretty looking colours in the picture, these raffle tickets arrived in plain old black and white. On the plus side, they are easy to use and tear off relatively easily. They are also good value for money compared to other similar items on this site - which is exactly what I was looking for given they were used for a charity raffle. Overall, I'm not displeased with this purchase.

The Inbetweeners Movie [DVD]
The Inbetweeners Movie [DVD]
Dvd ~ Simon Bird
Price: 4.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Where's that box set...?!, 25 Aug 2011
This review is from: The Inbetweeners Movie [DVD] (DVD)
This is undoubtedly one of the best comedies I've seen in a long time. It boasts a great cast and it is wickedly funny but without ever being 'too' repulsive and offensive - a great achievement considering it's a 'lads' comedy.

I laughed out loud on a number of occasions but the film does more than make you laugh: without giving too much away, there were some very sweet moments where the boys' innocence in genuinely touching. Older viewers will love the memories the film brings back of first holidays abroad, drunken kisses and teenage infatuation. It's a feel-good, nostalgic film that we can all relate to. I left the cinema with a great big smile on my face and I would definitely watch this again.

**Note: I hadn't seen an episode of the Inbetweeners before watching this film, but I'm glad I didn't let this deter me because it did not spoil any enjoyment of the film one iota. So if you have yet to see an episode of the Inbetweeners, do still go and watch this as it's a good introduction to what is an undoubtedly great series (I've since ordered the box set!)

Fitflop Pietra Sandals Black
Fitflop Pietra Sandals Black

5.0 out of 5 stars The Queen of Flops, 25 Aug 2011
"Why would I pay this much money for a pair of flip flops?", I hear you ask? And that's a good question. However, unlike ordinary pairs, with their flimsy soles and their their t-bars cutting into your feet, then coming apart after a few uses, these are really very different. They last for ages (I bought a pair a few years ago when they first came out and they are still going strong and I wear them A LOT), they are so comfortable you won't want to take them off, and due to their thick soles are more suitable for walking long distances / around town. In fact, they are the only pair of flip flops I have ever kept on for driving, as they feel secure enough on the feet and you don't get the impression they would get tangled up in the pedals.

Some people think they look quite ugly, and granted the original pairs did but FitFlop have finally realised this and the newer versions are a huge improvement on the first editions.

As for the 'toning effect', I personally don't think from these flip flops make any noticeable difference but then that could be because I've been wearing them for years and my body is used to them - or because I exercise a lot anyway. Either way, these are supremely comfortable footwear and I would not be without a pair. I would buy again, and again, with no reservations. I just hope they don't increase the price too much (they were 30 I believe, when they first arrived on the scene!).

Belkin Ipod Nano 4G Armband (Dual Fit, Black/Gray)
Belkin Ipod Nano 4G Armband (Dual Fit, Black/Gray)

3.0 out of 5 stars Nice product - but slightly flawed, 26 July 2011
Bought this based on Amazon recommendations to replace my old iPod nano armband which was getting a bit tatty.

PROs:
-Armband is comfortable and secure
-Stays in place and does not slip during exercise
-Lightweight

CONs:
-Difficult to scroll through songs through the somewhat thick clear plastic cover; best not to attempt this on the treadmill!
-Contrary to what others have written about it absorbing sweat, I find my arm gets very sweaty underneath the armband.

Overall, if you don't change songs while you're working out, and have a mic on your earphones to control volume that way, then this is not a bad armband for the price. Otherwise, maybe have a look at others before deciding on this.

The Kid [DVD] [2010]
The Kid [DVD] [2010]
Dvd ~ Rupert Friend

5.0 out of 5 stars Gritty and absorbing, 24 July 2011
This review is from: The Kid [DVD] [2010] (DVD)
Based on the autobiographical novel by Kevin Lewis (which I have not read - yet!), The Kid tells the story of Kevin growing up in South London with his alcoholic father and foul-mouthed, abusive mother. The film draws you in from the start, although it is by no means an easy film to watch. It is incredibly touching and realistic, and we see Kevin grow from a beaten child to a reclusive teenager to a troubled adult, and eventually making a success of his life. It is a roller-coaster of a journey and in its midst is a charming love story.

As a director, Nick Moran has done a fantastic job. The only gripe I have is that while Rupert Friend is a good actor, as an adult Kevin in this film his middle class accent came through a little more than it should have. Had he mastered a Cockney twang, the film would have been totally faultless. However I will not be churlish enough to deduct a star for this, as it is a really excellent film overall.

Morning Glory [DVD]
Morning Glory [DVD]
Dvd ~ Rachel McAdams
Price: 4.00

2.0 out of 5 stars Morning Boring, 18 July 2011
This review is from: Morning Glory [DVD] (DVD)
It's getting harder and harder to find a decent comedy these days - I liked the look of this one as it seemed original at least but I was disappointed. Harrison Ford is the star of the show although far from his best in this. Rachel McAdams, whilst being very smiley and pretty, is also incessantly annoying with her hyperactive babbling in this. Diane Keating is great, and Patrick Wilson plays a bit-part as the (very predictable) love interest.

There were a few laughs, notably when they attempt to spice up the show to improve ratings - incidentally all these were in the trailer, so if you've seen that you've essentially seen the whole film. Overall a below-average, forgettable film.

The Dilemma [DVD]
The Dilemma [DVD]
Dvd ~ Vince Vaughn
Offered by best_value_entertainment
Price: 2.72

2.0 out of 5 stars About as funny as root canal, 17 July 2011
This review is from: The Dilemma [DVD] (DVD)
I was toying with the idea of renting this, but came to the conclusion that with Vince Vaughn starring it must be a semi-decent, uplifting feel good comedy. How wrong I was! The main problem is that the comedy is non-existent - even Vince Vaughn did not elicit a laugh. In fact, the only brief chuckle came from Channing Tatum's character, and I'm not sure that was even supposed to be amusing.

This film doesn't try too hard to be funny. It just doesn't try at all. It has a serious issue (infidelity) and the "comedy" aspect just sits very awkwardly around it. The part where Vince Vaughn gave his speech about honesty at his girlfriends' parents anniversary dinner made me cringe - a lot.

In fact, it's so bad that, towards the end, when the screen froze slightly longer than normal between scenes (my DVD player seemingly in a dilemma of its own as to whether continue playing this rubbish), I actually hoped that it would remain frozen to spare me the ordeal of watching to the end. Alas, it recovered and I had to sit through the remaining painstaking 20 minutes.

I'm struggling to find a positive here. There is a stellar cast that unfortunately have no place in such a badly written, boring and unfunny film, and thus I will award an extra star for the acting. But believe the reviews - this is one film that is not worth watching.

Real Fast Food
Real Fast Food
by Nigel Slater
Price: 6.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Uninspired, 16 July 2011
This review is from: Real Fast Food (Paperback)
I found this languishing on my bookshelf from a previous cookery book spending spree, its spine perfectly intact, and I thought I would give it an airing. I picked it up resolving to get through as many of the recipes as possible to get my money's worth. After all, it promised 'real fast' recipes, and I am one of the time poor who can ill afford to spend more than 30 minutes (on a weekday) preparing a meal.

Whilst Nigel Slater tries to assure us that these meals are quick and easy to prepare, he gets off to a rather shaky start by berating any of us who dare to make stock from a cube (Heaven forbid), buy ready packed ham instead of one lovingly shaved off a joint (guilty as charged), or buy fish anywhere else but our local friendly fishmonger (I would love to but he is closed by the time I get back from work). He then proceeds to say that all herbs should be fresh and that dried herbs are basically useless unless you're slow cooking. I was somewhat dismayed at this as I have a substantial collection of dried herbs in my cupboard, and fresh herbs are also expensive when you're cooking for one.

Anyway, I was somewhat cheered by the mouth watering descriptions of the food, so I delved deeper until I got to the recipes. Unfortunately there was little inspiration here: they veer from the ridiculously easy to the supposedly 'real fast' meals that have an astounding 19 ingredients. Yes, Black Bean Tacos and Tomato Chilli Salsa on page 23, I'm talking about you. Even if I did like beans, that hefty ingredient list is enough to put me off that idea. The directions are relatively simple but by the time you have faffed around preparing all the ingredients, there's the best part of an hour already gone.

I accept that I am in the minority here as most people have given this glowing reviews, but this book really doesn't appeal to me. There isn't actually anything I really want to make, apart from a ham sandwich, and I don't need instructions for that. Not the best 'quick and easy' recipe I have ever come across by a long shot.

Apple MB769G/A iPod nano Armband 4th Gen
Apple MB769G/A iPod nano Armband 4th Gen

3.0 out of 5 stars Think again before buying this in white, 16 July 2011
I bought this to house my iPod during my gym workouts and it has lasted well (over two years) but I would urge you to think again before getting a white armband for your iPod. It gets dirty and it's more like a shade of grey now. I've tried cleaning it but it doesn't seem to want to be restored to its former glory. So I am now on the hunt for another iPod armband - in black!!

Life As We Know It [DVD] [2010]
Life As We Know It [DVD] [2010]
Dvd ~ Katherine Heigl
Price: 3.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Unexpectedly good rom com, 15 July 2011
I had high hopes for this film because I love most of the rom coms that Katherine Heigl has starred in, especially the Ugly Truth. Life As We Know It didn't disappoint. Yes it is a rom com, but it's centred around some serious issues, namely death and unplanned parenthood, and this is what makes it work. We see two characters who previously had a carefree life suddenly thrust into the responsibility of being parents following the tragic death of their friends; we watch them change and grow into their new roles. This journey is moving as well as funny and I got through a few tissues during the film.

There are no prizes for guessing how it ends, but to be honest the rest of the film was good enough for me to overlook the obligatory predictable cheesy ending. And to be honest it is the right ending.

There is a bit of everything in here: two good looking stars, a cute baby, a good few laughs and a serious undertone. Recommended. I might even watch this one again.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-18