Profile for Andrea Smith > Reviews

Content by Andrea Smith

Andrea Smith (London, UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Weleda Stretch Mark Oil 100ml
Weleda Stretch Mark Oil 100ml

4.0 out of 5 stars So far so good, 13 Mar. 2014
Nice, easily absorbed and is doing a good job of keeping my skin supple. Lower back started itching (probably from the stretching) so I apply this to my back and hips too... blessed relief. Scent is fine, a bit 'herbal' but it doesn't linger anyway, so no real issue.

Couple of reasons why the product hasn't got the full five stars from me - the pourer lets out A LOT of oil so it's hard to be economical with it.

One bottle lasts around two months. I have purchased my second bottle now, along with Dermamum cream.

Typhoon Vintage Kit Recipe Book Holder, Cream
Typhoon Vintage Kit Recipe Book Holder, Cream
Offered by 24/7 DIRECT

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for the job, 13 Mar. 2014
Lovely recipe holder, not as fancy as some that I'd seen but I wanted one that was robust and would hold the pages of the cook book open without fiddly strings. Sturdy design and wipe clean surface.

I don't actually use the menu clips it came as I find they mark the pages quite badly when attaching / removing them and leave big dents, however that is a minor issue and overall I'm happy to recommend this product.

Binoculars Visionary DX 10x25, great for bird watching etc.
Binoculars Visionary DX 10x25, great for bird watching etc.
Offered by Binocular Outlet Ltd

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely for bird watching, 13 Mar. 2014
We bought these to watch the birds on our feeder in the garden from the kitchen and they are perfect for the job. They are compact (pocket) binoculars however they focus nicely and feel robust and sturdy as others have mentioned. Would definitely repurchase another pair as a gift! I have a lovely view of our beautiful blue tits now, happily pecking away on their nuts :)

Kärcher K2 Car Air-Cooled Pressure Washer
Kärcher K2 Car Air-Cooled Pressure Washer

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, 13 Mar. 2014
This pressure washer has become a staple in our house now - we use it for washing cars, and also more recently, washing the patio and paving stones outside the house... which went from almost black with mud to a lovely whitewashed stone... wow!! A great purchase and highly recommended.

The Courage Tree
The Courage Tree
by Diane Chamberlain

5.0 out of 5 stars Another fantastic read from Diane Chamberlain, 13 Mar. 2014
This review is from: The Courage Tree (Paperback)
This is the second book I have read by Diane Chamberlain and it definitely won't be the last. I was hungry for more after reading The Lost Daughter so I bought this and Keeper of the Light from here (tip: have a quick look at the latter if you haven't ready, currently for sale at bargan basement price!!).

To start with, I found the storyline about the Hollywood star and her daughter a bit bizarre, and I wasn't sure how it would tie in with the main story about Sophie and her mother, but tie in it did, and wonderfully so... along with plenty of other unexpected twists and turns along the way.

I know Diane Chamberlain has been compared with Jodi Picoult, and I have read and liked many of JP's books but for me, DC has the edge in that she doesn't elaborate on legal jargon, which sometimes became tedious and long-winded in JP's books. DC has a lovely way of telling the story that allows it to flow nicely and flits seamlessly from one character to the other whilst keeping your interest throughout. It is cleverly written whilst still being remarkably easy to read, and for that I admire DC tremendously.

I am now reading Keeper of the Light, which will hopefully be up to the same magnificent standard as this one and the Lost Daughter.

One Born Every Minute: Real Stories from the Delivery Room
One Born Every Minute: Real Stories from the Delivery Room
by Maria Dore

3.0 out of 5 stars Pleasant but not the most memorable book, 10 Mar. 2014
I read this book in one day, and I have to agree with the other reviews that awarded it less than four stars. It is a nice book and both Maria and Ros are very likeable, their writing is very friendly and easy to read. However the book doesn't flow in the way it should - it is a little disjointed and VERY repetitive. One other point: there isn't much about the people that featured on the TV series, unless you count the hastily added chapter at the end.

Overall, I didn't actively dislike the book, but it didn't blow me away and I've read far more gripping books on midwifery and childbirth. I think I was also disappointed in the price I paid for the book to be honest, if it was a few quid I wouldn't have minded too much, but I don't think the book justifies the price - it's not a very long book (around 271 pages).

Identity Thief [DVD] [2012]
Identity Thief [DVD] [2012]
Dvd ~ Jason Bateman

2.0 out of 5 stars Pretty poor, 1 Mar. 2014
This review is from: Identity Thief [DVD] [2012] (DVD)
I was expecting to enjoy this, given the previous reviews and also the rather unique plot. I thought it made a change from the usual samey rom coms that the US like to wheel on a regular basis.

Identity Thief starts off well enough, and held my interest up until the time when Bateman decides to track down McCarthy, the thief of his identity. By this point, I found McCarthy downright irritating and Bateman a bit too boring - and the plot a bit too far fetched. However, I persevered, thinking it would get better. It didn't. I won't spoil it by telling you the what happens next part (although you can probably guess!!) but it seemed really silly to me. I could have forgiven this if the film was funny, but I remember only a couple of vaguely amusing moments that elicited a faint chuckle from me and my other half. Other than that it isn't something to write home about and I wouldn't watch this again.

The Lost Daughter
The Lost Daughter
by Diane Chamberlain

5.0 out of 5 stars Spellbinding, 1 Mar. 2014
This review is from: The Lost Daughter (Paperback)
This book had sat on my bedside table for far too long, with me dipping into and out of it. A couple of days ago, having got halfway through the book, I resolved to finish it and am very glad I did. The novel is gripping throughout, the characters are believable and interesting, and even the ending was fantastic (so many books these days have unsatisfactory endings).

Diane Chamberlain manages to convey emotions of different characters very well, and happily not too intensely as, say, Jodi Picoult. It is a very well balanced and easy book to get stuck into. Despite the fact that The Lost Daughter deals with serious issues such as kidnap, death and dishonesty to name but a few, it never feels hard to read, and I give full credit to the author for that as she has a unique and refreshing style of writing.

I can't think of any faults, so I have awarded the book five star. Thoroughly recommended.

Lily and Brown Metal Housekeepers Box
Lily and Brown Metal Housekeepers Box

5.0 out of 5 stars A great buy despite my initial reservations, 28 Jan. 2014
I bought this to carry all my cleaning bits and bobs around the house. I had reservations initially because of the price, did I really need it....? However I'm pleased to say I use this lovely housekeepers box a lot and wouldn't be without it.

If you are short on space it could also double as storage for your cleaning stuff under the sink, or even on display (very retro).

Brabantia Roll Top Bread Bin - Almond
Brabantia Roll Top Bread Bin - Almond

3.0 out of 5 stars Ok but could be improved..., 28 Jan. 2014
A nice breadbin - I opted to go for a roll top traditional design because it's easier to clean out (as my mother in law says!), however I didn't want wood as our kitchen units are wood (overkill!) so I opted for this cream coloured Brabantia bin.

Colour is good - I worried it would be a bit too yellow-y but it's not.

Space-wise, I can fit a large loaf, and croissants and all sorts in there, so that's a plus.

It loses two stars because the plastic strip at the front is a little bit cheap looking and also because you can see a screw on either side that holds the sides in place - not ideal as from where we have it, you can see the sides.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20