Profile for Mr. J. McGuirk > Reviews

Watch Dogs (PC DVD)
Watch Dogs (PC DVD)
Price: 26.28

1.0 out of 5 stars Activation code doesn't work..., 1 Jun 2014
This review is from: Watch Dogs (PC DVD) (DVD-ROM)
Here's what happened:

i) Got the game.
ii) Installed it.
iii) Logged on, after not being able to log on for some hours.
iv) Put activation code in.
v) Tried to play game.

So far, so good, right? Well, no. Because now UPLay is telling me that either a) I don't own the game (as it's not in my games section) or b) I do own the game (the game is listed as owned by me in my account information) and that it is activated, with the code I put in, except I still can't play the game.

When I try to play the game it's either a) not there in the games section, or b) is there but asks me to put in the activation code. Only thing is when I do put in the activation code again, it says the game is already registered to another account, which is, get this, the account I'm actually logged in on. And yes, the game is registered in my account information and registered with the code I inputted. Confused? Yeah, me too.

In other words, this game doesn't work. The activation code has somehow been "chewed".

But what really gets this game one star is that I've been waiting *days* for Ubisoft to get back to me on this. I mean why does something they've taken money for still not work, and no one seems to give a crap? I've had no reply whatsoever from them.

So, I've now opened a dispute with the vendor here on Amazon, informing them that I know it's not the vendor's fault, but that I'm having no luck on making this game work by engaging Ubisoft.

So, yeah, a broke game, and really crap customer support from Ubisoft. Hopefully the vendor will treat me better than dirt when they receive my dispute. Fingers crossed.

PS: I've seen this problem described by many others on Twitter and forums, so for now I would advise not buying this game until this issue, and others (such as 90% loading crashes) have been sorted out.

UPDATE: It seems this issue may actually be a vendor/retailer issue after all, whereby my Special Edition Pack, which, it seems, ought to have two redeem codes, one for the main game, and one for the additional content, only has one code enclosed, for the addition content. So, Go2Games.com seem to be at fault. And here was me giving them the benefit of the doubt. If this isn't Ubisoft's fault, I have some backtracking and some apologising to do. Will update when new info comes along.

The Book of Daniel (Penguin Classics)
The Book of Daniel (Penguin Classics)
by E. L. Doctorow
Price: 7.69

2.0 out of 5 stars Stopped reading halfway through..., 7 Feb 2014
There is some dark, grim, violent content in this book that I found bordered on the gratuitous, so I'm afraid I opted out. I did like the story that was unravelling, but I don't like to subject myself to trauma without any hope that it might mean something in the end.

Brighton Rock
Brighton Rock
by Graham Greene
Price: 6.29

4.0 out of 5 stars Highly Recommend, 7 Feb 2014
This review is from: Brighton Rock (Paperback)
This book seemed to play with a few different literary genres, and it did so very well. I was gripped from start to finished. Quite surprised I liked it really, given the storyline and the style, but Graham Greene has a habit of doing any story incredibly well.

If you're looking for something different, but still a fairly easy read, this one won't let you down.

Nintendo Wii U Pro Controller - Black (Nintendo Wii U)
Nintendo Wii U Pro Controller - Black (Nintendo Wii U)
Price: 29.95

3.0 out of 5 stars Awkward..., 23 Sep 2013
= Fun:3.0 out of 5 stars
+ Very sturdy build.
+ Super responsive
+ Will suit some games better than Gamepad
+ Wireless is awesome

- Awkward top button placements, so that when needing to use four of the top buttons my will hands cramp. I'm from the SNES generation, so maybe it's me needing to adapt? Still, I've heard others speak of this awkwardness too.

Delonghi EC152 Pump Espresso Coffee Machine
Delonghi EC152 Pump Espresso Coffee Machine
Offered by WOMB SECURITY
Price: 149.99

5.0 out of 5 stars It's what you make it: brilliant., 22 Sep 2013
I love this machine! When used properly, this machine can easily make a cup of coffee that competed with your local cafe. Still, some things to remember:

1) Regularly descale the machine, especially if the water coming out starts to lose pressure or stop flowing altogether. Ideally, use filtered water too.

2) If you cup is to big to fit under the machine, use a smaller cup, then poir the coffee from this smaller cup into a larger cup (duh, I know, but people actually complained about this below). Ideally, heat the second cup up a bit by running it under the hot water tap.

3) Get a good, small sized jug for the milk, and hold the nozzle a half inch under the surface of the milk, till you just start to hear a squirty sound. Hold the jug at a 30-45 degree angle.

4) If you want a super strong coffee, give yourself two shots. (Duh! I know. But again, people complained about this before. Bizarre!)

And that's it. A perfect coffee, for such a great price. You can't complain!

New! Kilner Traditional Style Glass Lemonade, Preserve Clip-Top Bottle, 1-litre
New! Kilner Traditional Style Glass Lemonade, Preserve Clip-Top Bottle, 1-litre
Offered by One Click Wonder
Price: 7.20

1.0 out of 5 stars Down Right Dangerous, 11 Aug 2013
Bought two of these from Wilkinson's and one exploded on being filled with a fizzy drink. My friend also bought one and the same happened to him, getting glass in his eye! Avoid at all costs if you plan to put anything other than flat liquid in there!

Nintendo Wii U 32GB ZombiU Premium Pack - Black (Nintendo Wii U)
Nintendo Wii U 32GB ZombiU Premium Pack - Black (Nintendo Wii U)
Offered by Gameseek
Price: 325.68

3.0 out of 5 stars Limited, but good, and has great potential... maybe., 12 July 2013
PROS:

Some great games, like Zombiu, Mario Bros, Batman Arkham City, and Lego City. Really enjoy these, and keep coming back to them. Great graphics, and the gamepad really does add to gameplay by acting as a second screen. Loads of potential too, and some more great games coming.

Gamepad is great for surfing the web too.

Miiverse is great for talking with others about a new game.

CONS

Not enough games!
Nintendo's marketting is almost non-existent so sales are bad, which mean third party developers like Ubisoft are starting to opt out as there are not enough owners/buyers to make a profit. Nintendo needs to get the Wii U in everyone's faces, but I've not seen one ad.

The internet explorer is limited (eg. no adobe support) so lots of things, like Twitch, won't work.

Again, because of poor sales Miiverse is rather empty and any online multiplayer games are problematic for the same reason.

Overall, I would hope Nintendo does a big marketting campaign before christmas to increase sales. Otherwise, any buyer needs to be content with a limited choice of fairly awesome first party games going forward in the long-term. Either way, it's a good buy if you can handle the limitations.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Recommend., 12 July 2013
A very, very comfortable, nice looking trainer. I love wearing these around town - they feel good, are well vented for hot weather. Obviously, avoid rain. They water-stain easily, butt that's the material. Highly recommended.