Profile for R. G. Hancox > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8
300: Rise Of An Empire [Blu-ray + UV Copy] [2014] [Region Free]
300: Rise Of An Empire [Blu-ray + UV Copy] [2014] [Region Free]
Dvd ~ Eva Green

3.0 out of 5 stars Classic case of the trailer being far better than the actual film., 2 Oct 2014
Ok, so I knew it wasn't going to be as good as the first 300. I knew it was going to miss something.But having read the good reviews,i decided to buy. The first 3rd of the film is quite good. Then it goes downhill. Despite Eva Green's brilliant performance, I soon switched off. All the slo-mo, blood splattering the screen could not make up for such a sub standard film ( compared to the first). All the CGI etc couldn't save it. Needless to say, as I am sat watching it,and it is near the end, I have posted it on Ebay, to try and recouperate some of my losses.

Gettysburg [Blu-ray] [US Import]
Gettysburg [Blu-ray] [US Import]
Dvd ~ Tom Berenger
Offered by Fulfillment Express

2.0 out of 5 stars not impressed really., 13 Sep 2014
Well, looking at the reviews, seems I am in the minority. I was disappointed in this. Being a Brit, I knew hardly anything about the American civil war, and loving history, I wanted to find out more. I bought the book, but thought I would watch this first. Long list of great actors, great reviews, should be good? Not for me. Having got past the amount of ridiculous looking fake beards and tashes,what spoilt it for me was the constant overwhelming,off putting music. Yes,the movie is supposed to be patriotic, but it is constant,and most of the time loud, especially when there is no action. Then there is the acting, Apart from Jeff Daniels, everyone else seems to be hamming things off, and sounding like they are memorising lines from memory, instead of actually 'acting' them. Case in point, is Sam Elliot.Just not convincing. And Martin Sheen just seems to shuffle from one scene to another. This is a 4 hour long affair, I lasted about an hour and a half before waving the white flag. Not for me, im afraid.

Captain America: The Winter Soldier [Blu-ray] [Region Free]
Captain America: The Winter Soldier [Blu-ray] [Region Free]
Dvd ~ Chris Evans

5.0 out of 5 stars Finally Cap gets comfy in his own skin., 18 Aug 2014
I've enjoyed all the Marvel films so far, and enjoyed the first Captain America film, but in the Avengers movie, I thought he was a bit weak. Was getting fed up with the 'jokes' about him being old etc. But here, this film is tight, and a bit darker. Its basically tinker,tailor soldier spy meets a superhero film. Chris Evan's Steve Rogers/Captain America finally comes across as being comfortable in his own skin. Possibly for me, since the first Iron Man movie, the best Marvel superhero film to date.

The Woman in Black [Blu-ray]
The Woman in Black [Blu-ray]
Dvd ~ Daniel Radcliffe

2.0 out of 5 stars CBEEBIES IS MORE SCARIER., 10 Aug 2014
Post Harry Potter, Daniel Radcliffe just shows he is a 2 dimensional actor. He just doesn't carry this film off, and because I cant take him seriously, this film fails as a result.

Non-Stop [Blu-ray] [2014]
Non-Stop [Blu-ray] [2014]
Dvd ~ Liam Neeson

4.0 out of 5 stars his action movies aren't all that bad. An action film with Liam Neeson - so ..., 12 July 2014
Makes me laugh when some of the less complimentary reviews say 'Neeson being the same as usual' etc. Well what do you expect? He has found a niche, and apart from Taken 2, his action movies aren't all that bad. An action film with Liam Neeson - so you know what to expect.

Doctor Who - Day of the Daleks [DVD] [1972]
Doctor Who - Day of the Daleks [DVD] [1972]
Dvd ~ Jon Pertwee

5.0 out of 5 stars watch the redone version on the second disc!, 26 Jun 2014
Reading some reviews - about how bad this is, lack of daleks, silly dalek voices etc etc, I still decided to get this. What the blurb doesn't say, is that this is a 2 disc special edition. On disc one, the original, which was broadcast initially. On disc 2, along with more extras, is a redone version - better special effects,and extra scenes - filmed using an old camera - inserted seamlessly. Im very happy I got this.

With the Old Breed: At Peleliu and Okinawa
With the Old Breed: At Peleliu and Okinawa
by E B Sledge
Edition: Mass Market Paperback

5.0 out of 5 stars awesome, 24 Jun 2014
one of the books behind the series 'the pacific'. as war books go, this is just superb. Made me feels as though I was in the middle of it. his description of crossing the airfield is just amazing.

Star Wars: The Complete Saga (Episodes I-VI) Ltd. Edition Film Cell [Blu-ray] [1977]
Dvd ~ Harrison Ford

5.0 out of 5 stars fantastic, 24 Jun 2014
brilliant films, but as we all know this, I wont review them, but I will review the blu rays. Great blu rays, good transfers and great sound. recommended.

Wolf of the Plains (Conqueror, Book 1) (Conqueror 1)
Wolf of the Plains (Conqueror, Book 1) (Conqueror 1)
by Conn Iggulden

3.0 out of 5 stars ok., 24 Jun 2014
not as good as the emperor series. the first book is good, its ok, but then the series becomes very repetitive,and quite frankly bored me.

Rise of the Planet of the Apes - Triple Play (Blu-ray + DVD + Digital Copy) [Region Free]
Dvd ~ James Franco

5.0 out of 5 stars brilliant, 24 Jun 2014
brilliant film, but as we all know this, I wont review it, but I will review the blu ray. Great blu ray, good transfer and great sound. recommended.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8