Profile for J. W. Taylor > Reviews

Content by J. W. Taylor

J. W. Taylor "1970's kid" (Manchester)

House of the Long Shadows (1983) DVD
House of the Long Shadows (1983) DVD
Dvd ~ Vincent Price

5.0 out of 5 stars Long wait over for Long Shadows, 10 Jun 2012
This will never be the best horror film, nor the best thriller but by god I enjoyed it when I first saw it and can't wait for the DVD release. As previously mentioned, it has the three horror greats of Price, Cushing and Lee with the addition of Carradine and the wonderful Pete Walker favourite, Sheila Keith who never saw the fame she deserved (watch Frightmare to see her shine). So it's cheesy and hammy but the suspense is there along with the shocks as the cast get wiped out one by one in delightfully inventive ways.
I suppose I was a little disappointed by the ending first time around but it's more due to the way it challenged my expectation which is my fault more tham anything. In any case it doesn't actually sour the movie and most certainly doesn't stop it from being re-watchable; far from it, it makes the experience slightly more enjoyable. Knowing what happens next allows you to enjoy the perfomances to the full - and they are so very enjoyable.
It's a Pete Walker film - don't expect subtlety.
It's British - don't expect Hollywood.
It's early eighties Vincent Price - following on from the likes of Theatre of Blood and Dr Phibes, what do you expect?
I'll take this over a "Saw" film any day.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 7, 2012 12:30 AM BST

Doctor Who - Battlefield [DVD] [1989]
Doctor Who - Battlefield [DVD] [1989]
Dvd ~ Sylvester McCoy

1.0 out of 5 stars Prattlefield, 4 Nov 2008
Not a good who, but it's Sylvester plus Turner - it could never have better than mediocre. Other reviewers have said it - the Brig is great (you wouldn't expect anything less from Nick) and the Destroyer make up is so good it holds its own against the superb Cat-kind of the modern Who. Jean Marsh is an excellent actress but her performance is lifted straight out of Willow - the scene where she catches a magic acorn and crushes it is repeated in Battlefield with a bullet - rather sad really.

I never liked McCoy much and Turner saw fit to hammer the final nail into the lid with question mark overkill at a time when we knew more about the Doctor than ever - he was hardly the enigma we first saw in that old junk yard. Ace was annoying from the start and each mention of her home made explosive made me cringe (I can't even bring myself to name it). Money was wasted on big explosions rather than production values and extras.

I look back at stories like this and feel sad.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 23, 2011 10:57 PM GMT

Doctor Who - Sting of the Zygons (New Series Adventure 13)
Doctor Who - Sting of the Zygons (New Series Adventure 13)
by Stephen Cole

1.0 out of 5 stars Stink of the Zygons, 2 April 2008
I really cannot abide Stephen Cole. On the plus side - at least I finished this novel - mostly due to sheer grit and fortitude. I love the Zygons. They're disgusting to look at and scared me out of my socks as a kid but this novel is not a fitting tribute. Basically a re-working of the original TV serial with more action and an intensely annoying habit of referring to the Doctors' sonic screwdriver as "the sonic". Kids usually hate being treated as kids and this novel practically treats you like a foetus. Read a "Who" a novel by Justin Richards - buy this to complete the set.

Thunderbirds Are Go: TV Themes For Grown Up Kids
Thunderbirds Are Go: TV Themes For Grown Up Kids

4.0 out of 5 stars Not quite perfect, 27 Mar 2008
Not at all bad - and if chronic interpretations of Ron Grainers' Doctor Who theme tune make you smile this is definitely the CD for you. A pretty decent mix in all but no Persuaders??! no Randall and Hopkirk??! come on guys, get a grip.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 4, 2012 9:58 PM GMT

Cult TV and Film Themes
Cult TV and Film Themes
Offered by Direct Entertainment UK

4.0 out of 5 stars Not the junk you might expect, 27 Mar 2008
This review is from: Cult TV and Film Themes (Audio CD)
Although not the cult TV theme experience you might yearn for, this CD is by no means the heap of junk you might have been led to believe. I bought this CD for the Department S theme alone - a version with a little more substance than the original which I find a little weak. Thuderbirds, Man in a Suitcase and The Avengers are just some of the perfectly creditable themes on this CD although The Persuaders theme is a huge mistake - I suppose I'll have to find that theme elsewhere!