Profile for Londoner123 > Reviews

Content by Londoner123

Londoner123 (London)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Sycamore Row (Jake Brigance series Book 2)
Sycamore Row (Jake Brigance series Book 2)

4.0 out of 5 stars predictable and surprising?, 20 Oct 2014
Significantly better than most of Grisham's recent offerings, although still not up there with his best. Brigance does however remain his best character. Both predictable in parts and surprising in others this definitely deserves a read.

Dark Places
Dark Places

2.0 out of 5 stars worst so far, 28 Jun 2014
This review is from: Dark Places (Kindle Edition)
Comfortably the worst of the three books which Gillian Flynn has written to date. While the story and characters were weak, I also think that this was let down by some pretty poor editing.
Avoid, even if you loved the other two.

The Fault in Our Stars
The Fault in Our Stars

4.0 out of 5 stars Emotional, 4 May 2014
An emotional roller coaster, thoroughly enjoyable and something that I'd recommend to anyone. Other than being too short, my only criticism is the language - I can't help but feel that a thesaurus was used extensively in this and the book is the worse for it. 16/17 year olds simply don't talk like this.

Irène (Verhoeven Trilogy Book 1)
Irène (Verhoeven Trilogy Book 1)

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 10 Mar 2014
Perhaps not as good as Alex and the final result is a little obvious particularly if you read Alex first (the second in the series but translated into English before Irene), but a great read that is genuinely difficult to put down. Highly recommended.

Lamaze Captain Calamari Teething Mitt
Lamaze Captain Calamari Teething Mitt

3.0 out of 5 stars So so, 12 April 2013
It's a good idea but it doesn't stay on. My son seems to like it, but it falls off his hand after about a minute. An elasticised wrist would greatly improve this.

Joseph Joseph Chop 2 Pot Plus , Folding Chopping Board - White
Joseph Joseph Chop 2 Pot Plus , Folding Chopping Board - White

4.0 out of 5 stars It's fine, 12 April 2013
It's a chopping board that bends - there really isn't much more to say. It's reasonable quality, it goes in the dishwasher and the price seems fine. I've got a few and would buy again.

A Bespoke Murder (Home Front Detective series Book 1)
A Bespoke Murder (Home Front Detective series Book 1)

1.0 out of 5 stars Awful, 12 April 2013
Weak plot, unbelievable characters, rushed conclusion. Felt like the author went through the book with a thesaurus afterwards to add in some more advanced vocabulary - clearly this is not a good thing. At least it was quite short. Avoid.

Beats by Dr. Dre Solo Multilingual Headphones From Monster - Black
Beats by Dr. Dre Solo Multilingual Headphones From Monster - Black

1.0 out of 5 stars Terrible, 13 Mar 2012
I'm a little confused by some of the reviews on here regarding these headphones. To be clear I only ever used these headphones when sitting at my computer, so external noise was never an issue.

Straight out of the box, I was disappointed with how these sounded. However, I decided to give them the benefit of the doubt and reserved my opinion until they had been properly burnt in.

A couple of months down the line and I was more disappointed than ever. The sound quality simply hadn't improved and it seemed that the headphones were designed with the sole aim of producing as much bass as possible. While I don't particularly like to listen to music with excessive bass, my real issue came in that they weren't even good at doing this. Beyond even a moderate volume the sound became completely distorted and just sounded terrible.

I eventually bought some Sennheiser HD598 to use instead, and only very occasionally listened to the Beats Solo (I accept that these Sennheisers are probably the ugliest headphones I've ever seen, but the difference in sound quality in enormous). However, after very moderate use (remember I only used these at my desk - they never left my house), the headband broke, rendering them completely useless.

In summary, a poor sounding headphone that struggles with what it's meant to be good at, with terrible build quality. Just because Dr Dre endorses something does not mean it is good. Avoid these headphones.
Comment Comments (6) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 13, 2012 1:27 PM BST

Killing Floor (Jack Reacher, Book 1)
Killing Floor (Jack Reacher, Book 1)

5.0 out of 5 stars 5 stars, not sure why..., 20 Feb 2012
This book is nonsense from start to finish, but I absolutely loved it and will definitely read more of the series.

The more I think about it, it's hard to know why I liked this so much. The plot is largely implausible, the main character is barely believable as a human being and the writing is at best mediocre. However, it tears along at a phenomenal pace and there are few breaks in the action - it's almost as if Jack is daring you to put it down. It's like 24 on steroids.

While I can't quite put my finger on it, I also can't recommend it highly enough.

Headhunters
Headhunters

4.0 out of 5 stars Great book with a slow start, 20 Feb 2012
This review is from: Headhunters (Kindle Edition)
Unlike the breakneck speed of other Jo Nesbo books I've read, this got off to an unusually slow start. Not to be disappointed, things picked up pretty quickly and with a typically unbelievable story line developed into a pretty compelling read.

There's a great twist in the book, which even having gone back and re-read the relevant chapter a couple of times, I would still have missed.

A thoroughly enjoyable read. Not up there with his best, but perfect holiday reading.

Strangely, I don't think I've ever enjoyed a book this much when I've truly disliked every single character.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3