Profile for J TheAndroidFreak > Reviews

Omron M2 Basic Blood Pressure Monitor
Omron M2 Basic Blood Pressure Monitor
Offered by easi2shop

5.0 out of 5 stars Omron: A Name You Can Trust!!, 26 Dec. 2014
Omron is a household name for me. My grandma and my mom have got these as well. This is the 3rd one I am purchasing and like others it worked out of the box straightaway. Comes with batteries and works like a charm every time I get one of these. Highly recommended!!!

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect Fit For HTC One M7!!, 26 Dec. 2014
Got it for one of my family members and she loved it. All the ports on the M7 were easily accessible and it went well with the silver color of the phone. Highly recommended!!

PINK GLOSS PLAIN GEL CASE FOR SAMSUNG GALAXY NOTE 3
PINK GLOSS PLAIN GEL CASE FOR SAMSUNG GALAXY NOTE 3

5.0 out of 5 stars ... this for my moms Note 3 and she absolutely loved it. We tried it on and was an ..., 26 Dec. 2014
Got this for my moms Note 3 and she absolutely loved it. We tried it on and was an easy fit. All the ports are accessible including the S-Pen.Highly recommended!!!

Cruzerlite Bugdroid Circuit Case for Sony Xperia Z3 - Black (Retail Packaging)
Cruzerlite Bugdroid Circuit Case for Sony Xperia Z3 - Black (Retail Packaging)

5.0 out of 5 stars Cruzerlite: Always A Class Act!!, 26 Dec. 2014
As always Cruzerlite have shown how good they are making these Bugdroid Circuit series of cases. This is not my first Bugdroid case. I got one for my LG G2 and LG G3 as well and I am throughlyenjoying it on my Z3 as well. All the ports are well cut out and you have access to the charging port as well. Doesnt add much weight to the phone and so easy to remover as well should you wish. Highly recommended!!

KitVision Large Monkee Grip Flexible Foam Tripod with Phone Holder and Quick Release Plate Compatible with Smartphones including iPhone 5/5S/6/6 Plus, Samsung Galaxy S4/S5/S6 and DSLR Cameras - Black

4.0 out of 5 stars Not Bad But Wish It Had A Replaceable Phone Mount !!, 12 Oct. 2014
Been using this tripod for a while now. I picked this one up over the Jobi tripod because this one is offered with longer legs and that is ideal for my YouTube channel videos. So far I have shot many many videos with it and I like it. However no one product is perfect so let's point the cons briefly.

1. I use my HTC One M8 to shoot videos. M8 has a total width of 70.6 mm and it fits perfectly in the phone mount. However if you have a phone wider then that like for instance Galaxy S5 ( 72.5 mm ),LG G3 ( 74.6 mm ),Xperia Z2 or Z3 ( 73.3 & 72 mm respectively ) then you won't be able to fit it in the phone mount. iPhones up to iPhone 6 should all fit well apart from the iPhone 6 plus ( 77.8 mm ).

2. I couldnt find any bigger phone mounts to replace the one which comes with the stand. I asked this question in the FAQ section but no one replied meaning it doesn't exist and its very frustrating. Wish they had a bigger phone mount and I would have given the product 5 stars.

Other then that it works perfectly fine. Legs are flexible enough and made of high quality material. Everything else is bolted perfectly well with enough adjustments to use it as your daily driver. It's portable enough to take it with you in your rucksack or bag. All in all a decent tripod. Recommended !!( for the right equipment )

Android Collectible Mixed Series 04
Android Collectible Mixed Series 04
Offered by getDigital

5.0 out of 5 stars A Must Have For Android Freaks !!, 12 Oct. 2014
Received the lovely Gold Android and got me really excited. I use it in my YouTube videos all the time and it looks absolutely beautiful. Would be ordering more soon to add to my collection. If you are an Android freak like myself then it's a must have. Highly recommended!!

TUDIA Ultra Slim CLEF TPU Bumper Protective Case for HTC One Plus (M8) (Clear)
TUDIA Ultra Slim CLEF TPU Bumper Protective Case for HTC One Plus (M8) (Clear)
Offered by Aplars USA

5.0 out of 5 stars Tudia : A Real Surprise, 11 Oct. 2014
Tudia were kind enough to send me this case to review. Had never known Tudia before but after using this Melody case for a while It left me very impressed. The case has a quality finish to it with all the ports nicely cut out. Silicone gel material used is of high quality and fits around the phone beautifully giving it all round protection and comes off very easily too should you need access to the Micro SD or Sim Slots. The best thing about the case is that it doesnt add any weight to the phone plus you feel very close to your M8. I have had 100's of cases for many many phones over the years and this one is certainly one of the simplest yet practical of cases & I defitnely feel very close to the form factor of my M8. Would definitely recommend getting one and if they bring out a case like this for the Xperia Z3 ( which I recently bought ) then I am more then happy to get one for myself.

Sony Xperia Z3 UK SIM-Free Smartphone - Black
Sony Xperia Z3 UK SIM-Free Smartphone - Black
Offered by Digital Techno LTD

5.0 out of 5 stars Xperia Z3 : A Masterful Act By Sony!! (Updated Review 02 May 2015), 29 Sept. 2014
Please find my updated thoughts at the end of this review. Thanks

------------------------------------------------

Whether you agree or not I am totally & thoroughly enjoying the 6 monthly cycle upgrade of the Xperia line of smartphones ( Sorry Xperia Z2 users ) for the past couple of years. The Japanese giant officially admitted that they have no choice but to compete with the likes of Samsung & the competition. They are playing catch up cuz they stepped into it too late but have they done enough this time around to give the likes of HTC One M8 & Galaxy S5 a run for their money ? Let's find out without wasting anymore time.

Design (4.5/5):

With every iteration in the Xperia line design improvements have been made by Sony whether it was the flaps or the overall form factor. Xperia Z3 weighs in at 152 g which is lighter then the Xperia Z2 ( 162 g ). It is less wider at 72 mm then the Z2 ( 73.3 mm ) and feels more comfortable for one hand use. Difference in length between the two phones is minimalistic but the overall difference in comfort becomes obvious when you hold both the phones together. The rounded edges give enough protection against accidental drops and the phone sits in your hand much better then the Z2. Flaps covering all the ports are curved as well and all this has been done to achieve perfection in the omnibalance design. This is by far the best Xperia phone in this size and deserves all the appreciation for it's designers. The front facing stereo speakers have also been made more prominent and visible this time around and are very loud with a nice depth to the sound ( a definite improvement over the Z2 ). I am glad I didn't pick up the Z2 (not to say it's a bad phone ) & waited for the Z3 as it's always nice to see small little improvements which make a world of a difference to your day to day use. The phone is IP68 certified meaning it's dust proof and water resistance over 1 meter of depth for 30 mins. The phone comes with 16GB of internal memory & can also be expanded up to 128GB max via the Micro SD card slot which is located on the right hand side of the phone next to the sim tray. The phone uses a nano sim so please make sure you order one from your network before getting rid of your micro sim from your older phone. If I had to make a complaint about the design then it would be the extra bezels on top and the bottom. Speakers are definitely not that big ( like the BoomSound speakers on the M8 ) for Sony to make an excuse for the extra bezels and I hope in the next iteration Sony will definitely cut the bezels short. All in all a beautifully crafted phone with a glass back and metallic ( body color matching ) frame around the edges. Phone definitely is a class act by Sony and gives phones like the iPhone 6 and HTC One M8 a run for their money ( Galaxy Smartphones are not in this league sorry ). By the way just like most other top end smartphones these days the Xperia Z3 is a slippery phone as well. I strongly suggest buying a case for it ASAP.

Screen (5/5):

What can I say about the screen. If I had one word to explain the screen I would simply say " OMG!! " ( Oh My God ). It's stunning and is definitely one of the best I have seen in a smartphone in 2014. The Japanese company has truly shown there Bravia TV technology and used it in the Xperia Z3 with full force. Brightness levels are crazy ( can go up to 600 Candela as Sony claims ) and the colors have a real punch to them. Even at 70 to 75% brightness the screen has excellent color reproduction and most people won't go any higher as it just gets too much for the eyes. Outdoor visibility was outstanding too even at 75% brightness. The screen quality is very very comparable to my HTC One M8 which has one of the best IPS LCD panels on a smartphone. I played several 1080P movie titles and they just looked stunning on this beautiful big screen. Even the photos pop out very nice ( even though I must admit pictures were a bit on the oversaturated side ) but people like AMOLED screens on Samsung devices for a reason right ? So what if color saturation has been boosted on an IPS LCD panel by a vendor. Whether you are just surfing the web, watching a video or taking photos the screen is a sheer pleasure to look at and its a huge ( and I mean it really huge ) improvement over the Xperia Z2. If you are due for upgrade or looking to buy a new Sony phone then please just don't fall for the Xperia Z2 ( not that you will be disappointed but why not to go for a screen which is a big improvement over the previous iteration ).

Performance (5/5):

This beauty has the latest and greatest hardware & software available at the time of writing. Following are the core specs.

- Quad Core Snapdragon 801 clocked at 2.5 Ghz
- 3GB of RAM ( most flagship phones have 2GB apart from the Galaxy Note 3 being the only exception in 2014 )
- 5.2" Full HD 1080P IPS LCD screen with 424 ppi pixel density
- Android KitKat 4.4.4 ( the very latest of the Android version at the time of writing )

Performance was top notch of the few days I have used the phone for. UI has definitely improved so much over the last few months. All home screen & app drawer transitions are buttery smooth ( well done Sony as LG in there G3 just couldn't do it this time around ) meaning no launcher would need to be installed. The key here is simplicity. Sony has kept there new UI simple and straightforward and hence every thing runs super fast and there is not even a hint of lag on this phone so far. It's very close to Vanilla Android and a sheer pleasure to use. I played several big game titles like the Dead Target,Real Racing 3,GT Racing 2,RoboCop and performance was fantastic with no hiccups ( the phone did heat up a bit though but not uncomfortably hot ). All the top flagship phones from 2014 heat up and it's pretty much normal these days as there is so much power packed in such a tiny body and no where for the heat to escape. I haven't made any phone calls over the phone yet but will update my review soon once I have done that ( it's funny that majority of us end up spending so much time on Whtsapp,Viber,Facebook and social media and hardly make any phone calls lol ).

Camera (5/5):

Xperia Z3 has the same 20.7MP G Lens camera which was used in the Xperia Z2 but this time around improvements are noticeable. Firstly I have seen considerable improvement in low light photography. After playing with the camera during sunset & late in the evening on few occasions I was mightily impressed. In fact it seems that the low light champion camera on the HTC One M8 has finally been beaten. Took pictures of the same scene with both the phones & Z3 came out on top every time. The sensor in the new Xperia Z3 supports ISO 12800 ( first of its type apparently ) to let the phone handle even very dark scenes & hence it was able to come out on top every time I tested it against the M8. Sony has definitely tweaked there software side of photography as well. As compared to the Xperia Z2 the pictures taken this time around on the Z3 had more natural tone to them & they looked more realistic ( not oversaturated like they were on the Xperia Z2 ). Back camera also records 1080P video both at 30 & 60fps. Manual controls ( like Exposure, white balance etc etc ) are also present as ever so that you can tweak & shoot with your preferred settings. Front facing camera hasn't got the best quality for selfies & I think LG G3 & HTC One M8 ( 5MP ) take better photos. The phone has a dedicated two stage camera button ( a rarity these days ) which greatly helps in taking photos just like a regular camera. Phone also records video in 4K & I haven't had the chance to play with it much. In future updates I will definitely update my experience with the 4K video recording & the related heating issues that Xperia Z2 faced few months back. All in all its a powerful camera & if photography is your top priority then it can't get any better then this.

Battery Life (5/5) :

Xperia Z3 comes with a 3100 mAh battery which is sealed & not replaceable. It's in fact smaller then the battery on the Xperia Z2 ( 3200 mAh ) but Sony is adamant that the Z3 will return better battery life then the Z2. Apparently they have some sort of clever technology in there screen this time around which doesn't allow the screen to refresh that often hence saving & prolonging the battery life. In my limited experience so far Z3 definitely has a very strong battery life. Without the Stamina mode on I was able to get pretty much a full day out of the Z3 and in the evening before going to bed had 37% battery still left. My usage included Facebook,YouTube streaming,Internet surfing over Wifi mostly,listening to a couple of hrs of music with my Bose QC3 headphones and an hour of photography & video recording with brightness kept at Approximately 75%. I did notice battery dropping down quick during sound playback from the speakers ( same as it was on the HTC One M8 ). I think speakers, as powerful as this, in general draw more juice out of the battery and most people I think would stick to headphones anyway. Gaming also sipped juice out of the battery at a much quicker rate which is pretty much standard on all smartphones these days too. Just like HTC and Samsung, Sony have also employed the "Ultra Stamina Mode" in there flagship phone. It works the same way as the Extreme Power Saver modes on the M8 & S5 by keeping only basic functions of the phone on & prolonging the battery life in times of need. I will definitely be testing the various Stamina Modes on the Z3 & will get back to you guys in a future update to the review.

Verdict :

Xperia Z3 is the best effort so far by the Japanese giant Sony. It has a stellar design,brilliant butter smooth easy to use software,outstanding camera & exceptional battery life. It's very hard to list the cons on this phone because there are simply not any :-). Kudos to Sony for all the hard work & crafting a near to perfection handset. Would I consider the Xperia Z3 over

- Galaxy S5 ------> Ohh Yes anytime !!
- iPhone 6 --------> Definitely no question about it !!
- LG G3 ----------> No match A Big Yes !!
- HTC One M8 ---> I think I might just !! ( only if the camera on the M8 was slightly better )

P.S : Once the phone starts to get updates I will update my review accordingly. Thanks

Update 21 Oct 2014:

Received a minor update of 1.5 MB few days back from Sony. There was no details of the log as it was a minor update. But after the update the build number has been changed to 23.0.A.2.105. I also didn't see any apparent changes after the update. I have had several updates to the standard Sony Album App,Walkman App & Movies App ever since I had the phone which is quite good on Sonys part. I have also been testing the battery with and without Stamina Mode and the battery results are outstanding speciallŷ with the Stamina Mode on. Brightness was always kept at approximately around 75-80%. Below are some of my findings so far

Standby Time ( Without Staimna Mode ) from 100% Charge Overnight : 08 hrs with battery down to 94%
Standby Time ( With Stamina Mode ) from 100% Charge Overnight : 08 hrs with battery still 100%

Heavy Usage excluding gaming ( Without Stamina Mode ) from 100% Charge: Approximately over 5 hrs of Screen On Time before battery hitting the 20% mark

Heavy Usage excluding gaming ( With Stamina Mode ) from 100% Charge: Approximately over 06 hrs of Screen On Time before battery hitting the 20% mark

Summarising the above stats and the conclusion is simple. This phone can last a full day from an early morning start to a late evening finish with still a quarter of the battery left either with or without Stamina Mode. Screen on times are excellent and stamina mode works wonders to conserve the battery. Now I am a very heavy user of the phone. If this phone was to use in moderation then be rest assured that battery will last well into the second day. Apart from battery the performance has been superb with no lag. I must mention here that during video footage either 1080P or 4K the phone heats up after a few mins & a message pops up & force closes the camera app. This issue has been on going with Xperia Smartphones for a while now & Sony hasn't actually addressed the issue apart from the message popping up which was absent in previous xperia devices. Hopefully this issue will finally be addressed in Xperia Z4.

Update 26 Dec 2014:

Received an update 129.5 MB in size few days back. Firstly it came up as asking to connect the phone to the PC as opposed to the OTA way of updating. Waited for a few days and then the message poped up itself that your update is ready to be downloaded on your phone. It has happened before on Xperia devices where the update asks for PC Companion ( Sonys proprietary software for Xperia Smartphones and tablets) and then after few days or weeks the same update as available OTA to download. Anyways the update had the following log.

- Enhanced audio volume in notifications and ringtones (i have felt that difference as notifications have higher pitch then before)
- New Xperia camera app: Portrait retouch
- Improved ActiveSync performance
- Fine-tuned audio for speakerphone ( Sound doesn't distort on higher volumes anymore)
- Stability and performance improvements

These updates have refined an already world class experience on the Xperia Z3. The build number has changed from 23.0.A.2.105 to 23.0.1.A.5.77. I forgot to mention the "Info-eye" update that was also added to the camera app and it's very handy to use. The update size was 21.1 MB in size and included various improvements like barcaode and QR recognition plus stability improvements. I am very happy the way various other Sony apps like Walkman, Albums and Movie get regularly updated and it seems that Sony engineers are always hard at work throwing all these updates on regular basis. Battery life and performance are still top notch and the current updates haven't ruined the experience of using the phone. Keep up the good work Sony and I will further update my review once more updates hit the phone.

Update 02 May 2015 :

Received the lollipop 5.0 update couple of weeks ago. The phone now has Android version 5.0.2 and the build number has changed to 23.1.A.0.726. This was a major system update and took me a while to get the phone up and running. I had some fears about the bugs that Nexus users were reporting in their respective lollipop updates but those fears were all washed away as soon as i spent the first 24-48 hours with the new updates. Battery life is uneffected ( my biggest concern ) and system is running buttery smooth. I run a YouTube channel as well ( J TheAndroidFreak ) and get to unbox and review a lot of phones. I can confidentally say that Xperia Z3 is few of the only phones which hasnt suffered from any of the bugs that were reporeted in the Lollipop updates on Nexus devices. Well done Sony!!

If you really wanted to get a new phone and battery life was one of your main concerns with the latest Flagships in 2015 then i would rather suggest looking into the Xperia Z3. Will further update the review once 5.1 update hits the phone. Really enjoying this long term relationship with the Xperia Z3.

Like always please leave a comment if you have any questions & I will try my best to help if possible. Thanks
Comment Comments (15) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 9, 2014 6:15 AM BST

LLOYTRON Hobby Desk Lamp Adjustable 40W Reach 350mm H560mm Black Ref L946BH
LLOYTRON Hobby Desk Lamp Adjustable 40W Reach 350mm H560mm Black Ref L946BH
Offered by Strictly Lamps

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect For YouTube Videos at Night!!!, 30 Aug. 2014
The lamp is a perfect fit for my desk. I purchased it for my YouTube videos when I shoot at night time. Wasn't too sure about the size but it's pretty big and you can adjust the angle of the arm to suit your needs. Bought a few bulbs from Maplin and since then had no issues. Lots of positive reviews helped me buy this product and I am happy to vouch for all those reviews. Thanks a lot guys. Highly recommended for any type of use.

LG G3 UK SIM-Free Smartphone - Black (Android, 5.5-inch, 16GB)
LG G3 UK SIM-Free Smartphone - Black (Android, 5.5-inch, 16GB)
Offered by Entrepôt électronique!

4.0 out of 5 stars LG G3 : A Dream LG Smartphone!! ( Updated Review 14th August 2014 ), 2 July 2014
Please find my updated thoughts at the end of the review. Thanks

--------------------------------------------------

When it comes to gadget purchases i can be an impulsive guy. I see the one that catches my eye and I prone to buy it without hesitation ( of course going through the early reviews ). This exactly is one of the reasons I have two many of them and I just love living with them. Given my history ( Reviews on Amazon ) please do not be surprised that I now am a proud owner of the LG G3 ( my 4th phone in less then 12 months ) and ready to share my thoughts with the wider community. Let's get into it without wasting anymore time.

Build Quality --> Top Notch ( 5/5 )

Build quality has never been LG's biggest asset. I don't remember the last time LG carved out a flagship phone with top build quality. G2 was ok but not the best built phone of 2013. Well welcome to LG of 2014 and we have a sturdy and quality handset in the form of LG G3. The chassis at the back of the G3 almost catches you by surprise as if it was metal. Well they deceptively have been able to make it look like that & the brushed metallic finish on a polycarbonate body almost matches that of the HTC One M8. It's the best finish to a plastic back I have ever witnessed & experienced. Kudos to LG for making something so profound & elegant. It makes you feel why Samsung couldn't achieve all that despite of having a bigger stature then LG in the Android world. Despite of the metallic finish it surprisingly doesn't attract any finger prints plus it gives you a very reassuringly comfortable non slippery grip. Even the feel to the volume rocker and power button has been much improved too. IR blaster sits at the very top right side of the phone and 3.5 mm jack sits nicely along with the micro USB charging port at the very bottom. The SD Card ( expandable up to 128 GB ) slot is a very welcome addition and rests inside the removable chassis right on top of the Micro SIM Card Slot. My only minor gripe would be with the LED Notification light which is not as bright as it was on the G2. All in all it's a great feel in the hand and doesn't feel like a big phone. My M8 at 5" is actually taller then this 5.5" mini monster the LG G3 :D. The overall build quality has massively improved over the G2. Well done LG!!!

Screen Quality --> Very Nice ( 4.5/5 )

Quad HD ( twice the amount of 720P ) is the future in screen technology and that's exactly what LG has put in the G3. Is it too early when most of us are happy with 1080P screens already ? Yes and No. Yes because I have my M8 next to my G3 and frankly speaking the difference in day to day stuff is hardly noticeable. No because somebody had to do it eventually so it's good that LG has taken the lead. In fact right after LG launched the G3 in Korea Samsung launched the QHD version of the S5 which most people are not even aware of in Europe and the rest of the world. So Kudos to LG for beating Samsung on that front.

Screen quality is amazing on this 5.5" IPS LCD and you get wowed by that edge to edge screen once you turn the phone on. You guys must be wondering then why 4.5/5. Reason because there are somethings I didn't like on the G3 screen. Firstly the screen,despite having a pixel density of 534 ppi and a mind boggling resolution of 2560*1440, is still on the warmer side. Contrast ratio is also only at 830:1 whereas on the G2 it was at 1330:1 resulting in whites being slightly washed out. Reason is obviously because of the pixel arrangement which I don't want to discuss here as many of you would get confused. You notice these minor differences only when you put the G3 next to the other flagships of 2014 like the M8 or the S5 which both have better contrast ratios and much more brighter screens. Nevertheless the screen is still sharp and has plenty to offer for majority of the people. Only the most critical ( like myself lol ) would raise a finger or two. But despite of all that I am thoroughly enjoying my G3's screen and have downloaded a few 2K videos from YouTube and they look amazing. You really have to download 2K quality video to do justice with the screen.

Performance & Call Quality--> Admiring ( 4/5 )

G3 comes with the best possible hardware available at the time of writing.

- Snapdragon 801 Chipset clocked at 2.5 Ghz coupled with 2GB of RAM
- Adreno 330 GPU
- 3G/4G

Performance as you would expect is respectable. Everything from apps to other items opens fairly quick but it's not all glory. In day to day use there is definite lag under the finger which is not visible on my HTC One M8. To me M8 is the benchmark of Android at it's very best. Lag is visible specially when you get into the app drawer & swipe across screens to go through different apps. But other regular stuff like Whtsapp,Viber,Skype,YouTube,browsing was silky smooth & responsive. I never felt like as if the phone was slow or laggy. Performance on the gaming was outstanding too. I played several big titles like GT Racing 2,Injustice Gods Among Us,RoboCop,Fruit Ninja & many more & found no issues whatsoever. Strangely enough one of my favourite titles Real Racing 3 was missing from the Play Store. Could be a compatibility issue & I hope it comes back in near future. Apart from the occasional hiccup here & there the performance seems to be on par with other flagships from 2014 but I would definitely like LG to fork out these minor issues with an update ASAP as it's simply not acceptable for a phone as powerful as the G3 to lag.

I generally don't mention keyboards in my reviews but I have to admit here that the keyboard on the G3 is one of the best I have ever used ( trust me I have used quiet a few with Google & SwiftKey Keyboards being one of my favourites ). For the first time in a long time I haven't replaced the standard keyboard on an Android phone. LG have done really well with there keyboard & it's fast,responsive & accurate with outstanding levels of auto correction. You can even adjust the height of the keyboard which is simply awesome & this is one of my favourite features on the phone. Having bigger or smaller hands for typing is not a problem anymore & any size of hands can easily type on the G3 keyboard. You can even reduce the width of the keyboard for one handed use. Brilliant LG!!

Call quality on the G3 is quiet loud & crystal clear. I had no issues with making or receiving phone calls whatsoever. Signal strength on my Three network was absolutely fine with no problems whatsoever.

Sound Quality --> Amazingly Improved (5/5)

Now this is one area where I wasn't happy with the G2. There were big claims too at the G2 event last year in 2013 but this year the claims are more meaningful & actually showing results. The sound from the G3 speaker is very loud indeed & it certainly seems to be a 1Watt speaker with a built in Amplifier ( as LG claims ). In fact I was surprised to see that the speaker on the G3 was nearly as loud as the BoomSound speakers on my M8. I only wish LG had somehow put the speaker/speakers at the front of the G3 as the sound gets muffled when the G3 is lying flat on a table. If you turn the phone around & play music then it gets seriously loud & depending on the audio quality can actually sound crisp too. Even with headphones on the sound is very loud & clear as opposed to the G2 where the same pair of headphones actually disappointed me. G3 certainly has improved in the sound department & I am glad that the sound,both internally & externally,is not a problem anymore on the G3.

Whether you are playing games or watching videos on YouTube or going on a long journey ( headphones plugged in ) you will be a very satisfied customer & content with your money well spent.

Camera --> Best Ever In A Smartphone (6/5)

Yes this is how good the camera on the G3 is that I was forced to give it 6/5. The laser auto focus may sound gimmicky but hell it actually works people. It's one of the fastest focusing camera I have ever used in a smartphone. It focuses very quickly & before you know it the picture is taken. The G3 allows you to tap on the focus area to both focus and take the photo in one go saving time and allowing you to take picture after picture with no wait. All this means is that you will never miss those important moments which often need to be captured instantly. Apparently this laser focus technology has been taken from LG's Robot Vacuum Division & is also the same technology used by the Police in there speed guns. Now this is one area where most camera phones struggle & kudos to LG for addressing to all these essential areas of photography & giving us a bloody fast focusing camera. Well done LG!!

The ever present OIS+ ( Optical Image Stabilisation ) thankfully works this time around. On the G2 a steadier hand was needed instead of the OIS ( non functional ) & on the G3 OIS+ seems to be effective. Even during a bit of movement the G3 is able to take clear snaps which is good news because that is what OIS is for.

Picture quality was outstanding too. I was in Central London the other day on a training course & ended up taking a lot of photos both indoors & outdoors. The quality was simply outstanding even though I did see some over saturated colors but then which phone manufacturer doesn't do it these days. I even ended up shooting 4K video & it was excellent as well. Pictures & videos look outstanding on that Quad HD screen.

I compared the low light performance of the G3 with my M8 & I was surprisingly shocked to see that G3 actually matched ( in some cases outperformed ) the "Master Of Low Light" HTC One M8. Now this is an outstanding achievement by LG & apart from iPhone 5s I have seen no other phone giving the M8 run for its money in low light performance. The Camera on the G3 is shockingly awesome & if you are a photography enthusiast then don't look beyond the G3. It's simply the best & easiest to use camera you will ever see on a smartphone. Simple !!!

Battery Life --> Not As Bad As They Say (4.5/5)

Well well well !!!! Yes the Battery life on the G3 & the terror it's been striking into the hearts of most potential users. The thought of a Quad HD screen playing havoc with the battery life can of course be a nightmare for some but not for a daring company like LG. It's nowhere near as bad as it could have been. LG has fitted a removable ( Thank You LG ) 3000mAh battery into the G3 which on a good day can return decent screen times both on WiFi & 3G/4G before needing a recharge.

My daily usage included Whtsapp,Viber,Skype,emails,listening to music on my way to work,Appy Geek,text messaging & a few odd calls & the phone was able to cope up all day. Of course gaming & streaming videos will drain the battery out much quicker but the phone can certainly last you a day provided you keep the brightness levels around the 70% mark max. Go any further & the battery will start to drain quicker because of the pixel dense screen which is understandable. Most people will either keep the Auto Brightness switched on or will keep the brightness between 60-70% which is obviously ideal.

LG promised in there G3 event that the battery life will not be effected by the Quad HD screen as the G3 software was optimised & that certainly seems to be the case. LG also promised that the phone would return a similar standby time to a 1080p phone & that too is the case here. My G2 has excellent standby times & G3 easily matches the standby times of the G2. I left my phone fully charged one night & got up after 9 hrs 47 mins & the battery was still 100%. That did bring a smile to my face as my M8 had lost 3% in the same time left along fully charged too. M8 performs admirably better in day to day use of battery life as compared to the G3 but combining there pros & cons they both return almost the same performance on battery life. Unfortunately the G3 can't match the supreme battery life of the G2 & that was never to be expected because of the QHD screen on offer with the same battery size of 3000 mAh. Nevertheless the battery on the G3 is respectable & should last you a day without a problem.

I was very confused like you are right now after reading several mixed reviews about the battery life but I am very satisfied with battery performance now that I have used the phone for a few days & you can take my word for it. Keep the brightness under control & refrain from gaming & video streaming & the phone will last you almost all day. Moderate use can even make it go beyond a day.

Using the camera did see the battery drain more quickly and the battery wouldn't last beyond a day if you were a snap freak. It happens on most phones anyways & nothing to be worried about.

Verdict:

LG G3 is the real deal Android super Smartphone. It has an incredible & vivid screen,decent battery life, good performance and a damn bloody fast camera.Yes the phone is plastic but this is the best premium plastic you are going to get and the LG engineers have done well to make such a large screen smartphone seem as small as it does.

The LG Software has enough innovative features in there to outweigh the bad & that's one of the reasons why I got the phone. I often fancied the Galaxy Note but when I saw this 5.5" beauty in a small chassis I simply couldn't resist the charms of the G3. For those looking for a big and bright smartphone with fast performance, a great camera and one of the best screens in this size then the LG G3 matches anything on the market today.

My opinions are based totally on my experience & can differ from others. Feel free to ask any questions that you may have & I will try my best to help. Thanks

P.S : Once the phone starts to get updates I will update my review accordingly. Just to let you guys know that my phone is locked to Three Network & I got it as an upgrade. Thanks

Update 14 August 2014:

Received a system software update ( 54.91 MB ) last night with the following enhancements

- Power Optimization

After installing the update I charged the phone fully overnight and been using it all day today. The first thing I noticed was the improvement in the battery life department. It has definitely improved a bit and the overall screen on time has increased too. Secondly the screen is auto adjusting the brightness once you turn the screen on (without even enabling the auto brightness option). I keep my brightness at 70% at all times and it does dim a little itself once you turn the screen on. It's not annoying but I can see LG is definitely trying to save more on the battery life. I wasn't unhappy with the battery life before but more screen on time is good news I guess for all us G3 owners out there. The lag in the app drawer has reduced as well but not completely gone yet. So performance rating will remain at 4/5 till LG improves it further. Apparently there is another update in the makings which the sim free version has already received. I will update my review further once I get more updates. Thanks
Comment Comments (32) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 29, 2015 7:10 PM BST

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5