Profile for Clive E > Reviews

Content by Clive E

Clive E "Clive E" (Midlands, UK)

The Last Kingdom (The Last Kingdom Series, Book 1) (The Warrior Chronicles/Saxon Stories)

1.0 out of 5 stars Cheated out of the cost of this book., 21 Mar. 2016
It was supposed to be free but I missed the tiny print where promotional code was to be entered, thought it might be on next page - clicked 'Buy Now' and that was it, no way to confirm transaction or return to previous page to enter code retrospectively.

Amazon's system is unforgiving.

Lady Of The Flowing Waters
Lady Of The Flowing Waters

4.0 out of 5 stars Four Stars, 24 Oct. 2015
One of his better tracks

Ideanext Wireless 720P High Definition IP Network Video Monitoring Camera Security Surveillance Monitor Supports Microsd DVR Night Vision Record Video Two-way Audio, Motion Detection, Remote Internet Viewing for iPhone, iPad, Android Smartphone or PC (1501)
Offered by IdeaNext-UK

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow! That sums up this camera in three letters., 12 Oct. 2015
I have had several 'standard definition' (640x480) cameras of this design, including D-Link DCS-930L & 932L models and a Net Cam from Belkin but none of them match the IdeaNext 1501's HD performance even though they cost quite a lot more. Build quality is on-par but the image quality is far superior and the band-width demand made on the network is much less.

The camera was up and running a couple of minutes after unpacking - it's that easy. The camera was connected-up, the app for my Sony Xperia Z Tablet was installed, the QR code scanned, network password entered and that was practically it - the live video was there to be enjoyed.

I have greater expectations for my equipment than that though - I also want to pick up the video in my PC security software (iSpyConnect). So, using the web-interface, I installed the driver as prompted, made the change to a fixed IP address, changed the password, scanned for the camera (onvif mode) in iSpy, and bingo, that was set-up & running too. Both 'cloud' and 'local' work at the same time (something I couldn't get the Belkin to do).

I use the cameras for looking out through windows so it's important to me that the infra-red LEDs are controllable, otherwise, all you see at night is a reflection of the IR LEDs. Using the web interface the IR LEDs can be switched off. An IPCC camera I bought at the same time, has the instructions to open the camera and disconnect the IR LED panel to achieve the same ends! The low-light capability of the IdeaNext is impressive, out-performing my 'L' models from D-Link.

Many cameras are dropping the ability to FTP images directly to a web-hosting service, so it's nice to see the IdeaNext does offer this facility - even though there is no control over file-naming. D-Link allows you to choose a name and add a self-resetting counter but they don't embed a time-stamp on the image as the IdeaNext does.

There are many more functions offered by this camera that I have not yet tried, like the on-board recoding to microSD card, but as yet, it is doing almost everything I need of it.

So, for simple monitoring by a beginner or more advanced use by a hobbyist, this camera seems to fit the bill.
Comment Comment | Permalink

Time2 Bluetooth Wireless FM Transmitter MP3 Player with USB Connection and Micro SD/TF Card Reader Slot and AUX Connection
Offered by Time2 Direct

4.0 out of 5 stars Dead chuffed - at the moment., 6 July 2014
Item arrived bang in the middle of Amazon's 'Estimated delivery date' (free super-save delivery) ie 10 days after order. No problems needed to be sorted out with vendor - so I can't comment on their handling of any.

Quality of audio is very pleasing - having tried a few other FM transmitter types, I knew that this was not going to be up to audiophile standards - but this may have more to do with trying to use it in a crowded FM spectrum. Living in a city means finding a clear channel on which to operate isn't easy and is likely to change after driving a few miles into the broadcast region of other stations. I am getting a very low level buzz in the audio but I can't say whether it's constant as yet (not enough experience) - but when you're driving, with all the other noises around, it becomes inaudible - it IS very low.

I have found it's easy to upset it - it may be my inexperience but I have found it will occasionally drop-out for a fraction of a second* - it also seems to respond to being held - gripping it to bend the support, even avoiding the buttons, can seem to activate different functions but that shouldn't be a major problem - once located, there should be no need to keep adjusting it. The plastic around the LCD (which is difficult to read with old eyes) seems a bit cheap and flexible - I just hope it doesn't become brittle too soon.

I have only used it with an iPod via Bluetooth as yet (ah, come to think of it, that may be the reason for dropouts* - I occasionlly get dropouts with Bluetooth headphones) - pairing was easy and it will sometimes re-connect by itself after being away from the car for some time (I will no doubt get to know the best m.o. as time passes). After half a dozen uses, I've had to re-pair only once.

At the moment, I'm dead chuffed with it - I listen to a lot of low bit-rate podcasts and up until now, I've used wired earphones (either earbud or jogger-type neck-band) - and they're a pain, so I'm not worried by the little bit of fiddling you have to do at the start of a listening session with this device. I also use some high bit-rate music track and have been pleased that I haven't had to ramp up the radio's volume control to max to get a reasonable volume (it is just a tad quieter than regular radio) and haven't heard the clipping, I've heard with other stand-alone FM transmitters.

If it keeps working for a year - I'd buy another one.

*Update 31 Aug: Well it's still working (touch-word) and used most journeys. I now believe the dropouts were caused by me keeping my iPod in my shirt pocket too close to my body, sited away from me and the dropouts have disappeared. The extraneous noise is more annoying that I thought but man of my podcast recordings are very low volume - so noise is boosted when I turn-up the volume. I suspect the noise is partly caused by a poorly filtered power-supply line but it also seems dependent upon FM frequency selected (distant stations may drift in and out causing issues with my radio - yours might be better).

I have not had to re-pair in almost two months - I think I was being a bit quick off the mark in thinking it needed it. If I get into the car with my iPod playing and plug in the transmitter, it automatically switches from earphone to radio in about 20-30 seconds.

Black 1.8 meter super VGA male to VGA male cable for TV computer monitor
Black 1.8 meter super VGA male to VGA male cable for TV computer monitor
Offered by Accessories Arena

1.0 out of 5 stars Poor, 4 Aug. 2011
I don't know if this works well at lower resolutions but at 1280x1024x60Hz the image on my Dell desktop & Dell monitor is blurry. Old Chinese proverb - Buy expensive, Cry once.

KNOBBLY KNEES - Handmade Clay Hanging Christmas Tree Decorations - SET OF 3
KNOBBLY KNEES - Handmade Clay Hanging Christmas Tree Decorations - SET OF 3

4.0 out of 5 stars Didn't make it to Christmas intact., 18 Nov. 2010
The description could be clearer as to what price relates to what quantity. Like a Chinese instruction manual, you can see what the instructions are getting at - after you've had a chance to play with the equipment. When I bought, the price was £2.50 +p&p - this was for one figure (the Santa), currently there seems to be no way to specify which figure you want or what the price of all three would be (or perhaps the current price is for all three). Maybe I'm thick.

Since delivery (which was in good time), the figure has started to fall apart - nothing that can't be fixed (one leg dropped off and the screw holding the fixing-loop came out of the head) but a nuisance none-the-less. I can't be bothered (at this price) to pursue the issues with the seller.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 19, 2010 1:34 PM GMT

Ex-Pro High Power DMW-BCG10E, DMWBCG10E, BCG10E, DMW BCG10E - 2 Year Warranty Replacement Lithium Li-on Digital Camera Battery for Panasonic Lumix

5.0 out of 5 stars Works with TZ10, 29 May 2010
Arrived less than 24hrs after ordering - well done Express Pro & Royal Mail. Dropped it into my month old TZ10 and everything worked as it should including file transfer to computer via USB lead.
What will happen if the TZ10 gets a firmware update sometime in the future - who knows?
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 24, 2010 6:47 PM BST