Profile for K. Strachan > Reviews

Content by K. Strachan

K. Strachan (Kingston upon Thames, UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6
DK Eyewitness Top 10 Travel Guide: Athens: Athens
DK Eyewitness Top 10 Travel Guide: Athens: Athens

2.0 out of 5 stars Not for me, 30 Dec 2012
I have purchased Eyewitness travel guides in the past and they are wonderfully presented. I have a terrific one of Venice and also of France. However I've also purchased a few Top Ten guides and I don't really like them. This particular one I bought on Kindle and I would definitely advise against that (Even though I am a huge Kindle fan for novels). The nature of a travel guide is lost on an e-book.

DK Eyewitness Top 10 Travel Guide: Naples & the Amalfi Coast: Naples & the Amalfi Coast
Price: 4.99

2.0 out of 5 stars Buy the paperback guides, 30 Dec 2012
I have purchased Eyewitness travel guides in the past and they are wonderfully presented. I toured France by car and would have missed some terrific places without it. However I've also purchased a few Top Ten guides and I don't really like them. This particular one I bought on Kindle and I would definitely advise against that (Even though I am a huge Kindle fan for novels). The nature of a guide is lost on an e-book.

Killing Floor: (Jack Reacher 1)
Killing Floor: (Jack Reacher 1)
by Lee Child
Price: 3.50

1.0 out of 5 stars What utter drivel, 14 Nov 2012
It's a page turner but not for the discerning reader. Terrible shallow writing. Every character is paper thin with barely two dimensions let alone three. The main female character is woefully written and her only purpose as a character is to define Jack Reacher's appreciation of a strong woman and to demonstrate that even a strong woman such as her requires Reacher's protection. Offensive macho comic book heroics! And now there's a Jack Reacher movie starring starring who?! Tom Cruise of course! Hooray for Hollywood.

Wolf Hall
Wolf Hall
Price: 1.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Well, I did finish it!, 19 July 2012
This review is from: Wolf Hall (Kindle Edition)
I'm motivated to write this review only because others heve been so mixed. Many people reviewing the book hadn't completed it which to me seems unfair. I remember in my youth it took me three attempts to get through Catch 22 but in the end I was richly rewarded for my endeavour. Sadly, though, this wasn't quite the case with Wolf Hall. I would be loath to condemn it as a bad book because clearly it wouldn't have received so many five star reviews if it were. However it WAS heavy going. I did eventually get used to the fact that whenever Cromwell spoke it would generally be indicated by 'he said' but it did take a while. On the encouraging side I did like the positive take on Cromwell - he has after all had a bad press in the past - it did much to reset the balance of Robert Bolt's somewhat squeeky clean Thomas More and villainous Thomas Cromwell. But on the negative side I did not find it a 'page turner' as clearly some of the ardent fans of the novel did. So, for me, if you're a fan of Tudor historical fiction, give it a go but if you want an exciting novel go elsewhere. And, of course, if you want more history and less conjecture read a biography. John Schofield's 'The Rise and Fall of Thomas Cromwell' has much to commend it.

Last Night in Twisted River
Last Night in Twisted River

5.0 out of 5 stars Up there with his best, 22 Oct 2011
Having read all of John Irving's novels I would count count five of them: The World According To Garp, Hotel New Hampshire, Cider House Rules and a A Prayer For Owen Meany as masterpieces; and now having read Last Night In Twisted River I would have to add that to the list. Sure, it's a long rambling novel but it is no less of a page turner for that. The larger than life characters leap off the page (or in my case the screen) and it is beautifully detailed and amusing and moving in equal measure. But also what is fascinating is that he taunts us all with the autobiographical questions that appear to irritate him. The central character of the book Daniel is the same age as Irving, lives and works in the same locations as Irving, shares with him some of the same celebrity friends and colleagues, writes an 'abortion' novel which could be (but isn't) Cider House Rules etc. etc. He even adds the conceit that the final novel that Daniel is writing is the 'autobiographical' novel we are actually reading. But Daniel is clearly not John Irving and the reviews that attempt to draw this conclusion, or, imagine that there is something of the confessional about this book seem to me to be missing the point. It's a great novel; I might have to read it again and when, finally, the other five novels are available on Kindle I'll read them again, too.

The Mill on the Floss [DVD]
The Mill on the Floss [DVD]
Dvd ~ Emily Watson
Offered by qualityfilmsfromuk
Price: 12.70

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't bother, 10 Oct 2011
This review is from: The Mill on the Floss [DVD] (DVD)
This is the worst George Eliot adaptation by some margin. The novel is one of her best but this filmed version is shallow and soapy.

The Early Tapes
The Early Tapes

3.0 out of 5 stars First half of album incorrect, 1 Oct 2011
This review is from: The Early Tapes (MP3 Download)
I'm sure this is easily rectified but the first six tracks are light orchestral tracks. Certainly not Tony Sheridan and the Beat Boys. However having initially given 1 star I'm changing to 3 because Amazon against their normal policy refunded my money without any quibble.

PCMCIA Compact Flash Card Adaptor for Mercedes COMAND APS systems (S E C GLK Class)- with PCMCIA Slot
Offered by Startechnik-uk
Price: 9.70

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for Mercedes E Class Comand system, 22 May 2011
Having read a few forums on the internet it is clear that people were having the same difficulties as myseld in finding a compatible format for the Mercedes E Class audio system. This combined with a 16G or 32G flash card work perfectly

France (DK Eyewitness Travel Guides)
France (DK Eyewitness Travel Guides)
by Rosemary Bailey
Price: 17.75

5.0 out of 5 stars The best, 2 Oct 2010
Eyewitness Travel Guides are beautifully presented with good detail and photographs. The France guide is no exception. My wife and I recently drove around France for three weeks. We planned it as we went, stayed one night in each hotel and with the help of an atlas and this guide saw the secluded France we were hoping for. We drove on D roads wherever possible and chose the most beautiful places to visit. At least half of these we would have missed without the help of Eyewitness. A great guide and thanks for a great holiday.

Complete Dusty Springfield
Complete Dusty Springfield
by Paul Howes
Price: 14.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent - but beware, 2 Oct 2010
Having read the other reviews I mistakenly assumed that this was a biography. For the benefit of others who might be tempted it most certainly is not. Rather, it is a detailed catalogue of all her recordings - TV and film as well as discs. It succeeds extremely well in what it sets out to do, and for ardent students of Dusty Springfield who wish to know which studio, which arranger, which backing vocals were used on every session then this indeed "a bible" - as another reviewer described it. However, it tells us little of the woman or her relationship with her peers - nothing of what motivated a rather ordinary Mary O'Brien into becoming an icon of the Sixties. It's a commendably detailed reference book with a few anecdotal additions but it is not a biography you'd read from cover to cover. For this try Lucy O'Brien's excellent book, Dusty.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 14, 2010 10:01 AM GMT

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6