Profile for Harry Alongo > Reviews

Content by Harry Alongo

Harry Alongo "dontlikelettuce" (UK)

The Quickening Maze
The Quickening Maze
by Adam Foulds

2.0 out of 5 stars Pretentious. desultory and tedious, 7 Sep 2013
This review is from: The Quickening Maze (Paperback)
Adam Foulds may have an MA in creative writing, but, unfortunately, judging by this effort, he lacks the ability to produce a sustained, engaging and accessible piece of fact/fiction. I have to echo the sentiments of a previous reviewer, in that I found the protagonists dull and two dimensional, and I felt apathetic to their plight. Some descriptions of their states of consciousness and the surrounding landscape are well-crafted, but,the overall effect of this book is unsatisfying and leaves the reader wishing he/she had spent their money elsewhere.

Night Song
Night Song
Offered by Fulfillment Express

5.0 out of 5 stars Sonic raindrops on a calm mountain lake, 28 Oct 2011
This review is from: Night Song (Audio CD)
I picked this cd up from the jazz section at HMV in Cardiff and, although it certainly is not jazz, it is most definitely a fine album. Each track is calm and understated, and filled with a serene and tranquil beauty and an underlying melancholy which, nevertheless, evokes a feeling of inner peace in the listener.
To be candid, I'd never even heard of Mr.Bjornstad and co. before making this fortunate purchase, but I fully intend to buy more of his albums based on this hearing. My advice to you is to follow suit.
(p.s. Shame I couldn't give this 6 stars!)

Smoke and Mirrors
Smoke and Mirrors
by Neil Gaiman

1.0 out of 5 stars No Magic Here!, 2 April 2009
This review is from: Smoke and Mirrors (Paperback)
Although I'd never read Neil Gaiman before, following the predominantly favourable reviews on Amazon, I decided to read "Smoke and Mirrors".
Unfortunately, I was presented with a mixture of mediocre and downright distasteful tales from an author I have no intention of reading again.
It would probably be best if Mr.Gaiman were to use his smoke and mirrors to disappear from the literary scene altogether!
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 23, 2013 12:40 AM GMT

The Crow Road
The Crow Road
by Iain Banks

1.0 out of 5 stars A cure for insomnia?, 9 May 2004
This review is from: The Crow Road (Paperback)
Where shall I begin with this one? Perhaps I should mention that I've read Iain Banks before (The Wasp Factory) which had a certain pace and intensity,this, quite frankly, doesn't.
The plot, if one can call it that, mainly concerns Prentice McHoan, a history student who struggles with his personal history in order to try to find some sense of meaning and purpose to his life blah! blah! Throw in some friction with his brother and father and a missing uncle and that's about it.
At 500 pages long, the best way I could describe this book would be 400 pages of tedium followed by 100 pages of mildly entertaining reading. Soporific and filled with cynical, disagreeable, "smart Alec" characters. Avoid!
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 21, 2013 10:53 AM BST