Profile for Mr. R. V. Malin > Reviews

Content by Mr. R. V. Malin

Mr. R. V. Malin (Warwickshire, England)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9
Skytronic Ground Loop Isolator
Skytronic Ground Loop Isolator
Offered by Direct Discount
Price: 6.45

5.0 out of 5 stars DON'T BE CONNED!, 14 Oct 2010
Yes, don't be conned like I was! I found one of these elsewhere on the internet and paid nearly 20. While it worked perfectly I was miffed when I then found this very same item, here on Amazon, for a quarter of the price! I must remember to always try Amazon first - there's very little you can't get on Amazon and usually at the cheapest price!
Anyway, as you have already read on this review page, this item works a treat. I was mortified recently when having compiled a 4 hour 'play-list' (for background/dance music for a family do) to play via a laptop through a PA system I had hired, the sound was absolutely dreadful, with lots of hum and distortion etc . Thankfully I found one of these at a pro audio dealer (20!) and hey presto, problem solved. I have since acquired one off Amazon as a back up. You won't be dissapointed!

Trust Powertron 1000VA Battery Back-Up UPS 16484
Trust Powertron 1000VA Battery Back-Up UPS 16484

5.0 out of 5 stars Trust Powertron To Deliver!, 25 Aug 2010
Having suffered several recent power outages, either due to the National Grid or my wife's ironing exploits, (she blows an iron up almost every other week!) I decided to invest in a UPS. The Trust Powertron appealed on a}specification, b}price, and c}doesn't it just look the business!
The Powertron does not come with any software or the ability to automatically close the computer down, but it does have sufficient power to keep things running long enough to save work and close the PC down manually. (This suits me as I rarely leave the computer running when I am not sat at it.)
Annoyingly, in the few days since installing my Powertron, not a hint of a power cut. So I have just sat my wife at my PC while I scrambled under the desk and switched off the mains socket. There was much excitement as she watched the PC and monitor continue running on battery power. (After 30 years of marriage, it's moments like this that keep our relationship fresh - maybe we need to get out more!)
All in all it seems like an excellent product. I can hardly wait until our first proper power cut!
Comment Comments (5) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 5, 2011 1:53 PM GMT

Epson Stylus SX115 All-in-One Printer with Individual Inks
Epson Stylus SX115 All-in-One Printer with Individual Inks

5.0 out of 5 stars Another great value Epson All-In-One!, 23 Aug 2010
At under 40 (inc delivery) this is a great value all-in-one from Epson. I have purchased many of these cheap Epsons over the years, both for my office at work and my home office. The main attraction is the cost of (compatible) cartridges. I have recently owned a Canon MP210 but at 10 (black) and 13 (colour) for re-manufactured cartridges, the Canon printers are just too expensive to run unless you only do very little printing/copying. (Genuine Canon cartridges can cost up to 30 a set!) The Epson uses 4 individual inks and 3 complete sets of compatibles can cost as little as 11 from Amazon or Ebay. I realise that the Canon cartridges are expensive because the cartridge contains the print head itself, whereas the Epson carts are just ink tanks, but who cares?! The Epsons print brilliantly (whether you use original or compatibles)and quite frankly after 2 or 3 years use, when the print heads start clogging regularly or the output quality diminishes, you chuck the whole thing out and log onto Amazon for a new one!
This budget priced SX115 does everything you could want - it prints beautifully (if a little noisily)- it scans using the supplied comprehensive scanning software - it copies (without the computer being turned on) both in monochrome or colour. Epson printers are usually very good at paper handling but you do need to make sure the paper is stacked very neatly and always ensure the sliding paper guide is snugly fitted against the edge of the paper stack or the printout can come out slightly askew. It prints superb colour pictures (both A4 and 6x4" photo papers) and the Epson Easy Photo Print software is very easy to use.
One thing you may find is that after you have loaded the Epson Software suite (from the supplied CD) it can still leave your PC without the actual print driver. If this happens, just leave the CD in the drive and using Control Panel, go through the motions of 'adding printer' and the PC will usually locate the driver on the CD and install it. This does not always happen but it happened with me on this machine and has happened before.
You won't be dissapointed with this inexpensive multi-function unit. If you need a USB cable, don't forget to order one as these are never normally supplied.
A full 5***** recomendation! (Can never remember if it's 2 'c's and or 2 'm's!)

Sure Shut Axis Gate
Sure Shut Axis Gate
Offered by BabyBeyondUK
Price: 28.97

5.0 out of 5 stars Stairgate To Heaven!, 18 July 2010
This review is from: Sure Shut Axis Gate (Baby Product)
A superb product. Easy to fit, easy to open and very effective in keeping our rabbit from coming into the house everytime we open the back door! Next day delivery too and a bargain price with free delivery. I love Amazon!

21 Big Band Favourites: The Big Sound Of
21 Big Band Favourites: The Big Sound Of
Offered by vinylandcds
Price: 6.99

5.0 out of 5 stars 40 years on and still swingin'!, 21 Mar 2010
I have seen the Syd Lawrence Orchestra in concert many times over the past 40 years or so and it is consistently the best mainstream big band in the UK that is still constantly touring and playing to capacity crowds up and down the country, now under the direction of Chris Dean. As with the orchestra's concerts, this album offers a wide range of styles, from slow romantic ballads to up tempo numbers from the Miller/Herman/Basie era not forgetting some modern 'classics' from Lennon & McCartney and Burt Bacharach & Hal David. There must surely be something for everyone on this 21 track CD. If not, you must be very hard to please! This compilation originates from 1989 so all the recordings are pre 1990. There are no notes re personnel but SLO afficianodos will work it out for themselves. Some superb drumming from Fergie Maynard gets the CD off to a flying start with a swinging arangement of My Favourite Things. Enjoy!

Western Digital Scorpio Blue 320GB SATA 8MB Cache 2.5 inch Internal Hard Drive OEM - Sony Playstation PS3 Compatible
Offered by Xtreme_Drives
Price: 26.99

5.0 out of 5 stars So far, so good!, 18 Feb 2010
Just received this from Amazon - usual fast delivery, free postage and the lowest price I could find on the net at the time of order. Purchased to replace the hard drive in my Dell Inspiron 6400, it took me exactly 3 minutes from unpacking to booting up, it's that easy to fit! This is a really quiet drive and makes for a very inexpensive upgrade for my 4 year old laptop. Another great product from Amazon!

Strictly Big Band
Strictly Big Band
Price: 9.21

5.0 out of 5 stars 40 Years On And Still Swingin'!, 12 Feb 2010
This review is from: Strictly Big Band (Audio CD)
Another great CD from Chris Dean's Syd Lawrence Orchestra! Last Sunday I saw the SLO under the direction of Chris at Leamington's Spa Centre. Hard to think that I first saw the Syd Lawrence Orchestra at the same venue, almost 40 years ago when my dad took me along when I was just 12 years old! Okay, so this is not the same band in as much as Syd Lawrence died a few years ago and there are no original members in today's outfit. But that's hardly surprising given that this band has been going in various guises for longer than most of the legendary big bands of the 20th Century!
Chris Dean (the orchestra's MD) always manages to come up with a varied and entertaining selection of numbers, to give what is a terrific 2 hours worth of great big band music in a concert setting and what, on this new CD, is an equally entertaining and varied program of superb big band arrangements, all expertly interpreted by some of today's finest young,(and not so young!) musicians. Just listen to the exceptional ensemble work and the various soloists on this recording. The closing number (Slaughter on Tenth Avenue) was a concert favourite back in the 70's and is still a show stopper today on the rare occassions it gets an outing. The whole CD is brilliantly recorded and has to be the best value for money on Amazon at less than a tenner!
If you read Tony 'R's reviews of some of the SLO CD's you would almost think he has a downer on the SLO, though in fairness his criticism is directed at Chris's singing ability and the band's singers in general. The early SLO (1970's) featured singers like Kevin Kent, Roy Marsden etc then latterly Jeff Hooper, all exceptional singers. Jeff was replaced by Tony Jacobs, a very fine singer and trumpeter, to be replaced by Matthew Ford. Matthew and Jeff are arguably the finest big band singers in the UK today, if not the world. Sadly neither get the exposure on radio and TV that they deserve. While I agree that Chris Dean is not a world class vocalist, he nevertheless does manage to put over the songs convincingly and he always seems to pick songs that suit his range and ability. Given that it is getting financially harder each year to keep a band on the road full-time, the cost of employing a professional top class vocalist, to just come on and sing half a dozen numbers, is probably not a viable proposition. As to the other vocalists who sing with the band at concerts, Angie Mills, Eleanor Keenan (plus members of the orchestra) I think they do an excellent job. If you are a fan of big bands and enjoy the quality of modern sound recording, you won't go far wrong with this CD, but better still, catch the SLO in concert next time they play near you!

Levv Glass Stand For Plasma & LCD TV Up to 50-inch or 50kg - Black Glass with Chrome Legs

5.0 out of 5 stars Exceptional Quality & Value!, 30 Aug 2009
Bought for my new 47" LCD LG (both items from Amazon - next day free delivery!) this stand is an absolute bargain. In the time it took me to make my wife a cup of tea, she had practically finished putting it together!
Well able to take a large LCD set because unlike plasma sets, LCD's weigh a lot less. It does attract dust, but a damp window leather soon clears it. Plenty of room for a full size AV amp and HD box etc. Only word of caution is that the front corners of the shelves are a little too square so might present a hazard to a clumsy toddler - you can buy corner protectors from DIY shops. (Needless to say, I won't be letting anyone's toddler near my new telly!)
Don't hesitate to buy one of these, they are a great buy at this price!

LG 47LH3000 47-inch Widescreen Full HD 1080p LCD TV with Freeview - Black
LG 47LH3000 47-inch Widescreen Full HD 1080p LCD TV with Freeview - Black

5.0 out of 5 stars FIVE STARS JUST ISN'T ENOUGH!, 29 Aug 2009
Wow! A fantastic television, all the more so at Amazon's amazing price! Delivered next day (free!) along with a VEE glass stand for 60 that would have cost nearer to 200 in the shops.
Once un-packed the set tuned itself in within a few minutes and is the only television I have ever purchased that gave a superb picture straight from the box. It has numerous preset picture settings all of which are acceptable and a further two that can be user set. With a little tweaking and experimentation with different sources, (DVD, Freeview, Sky HD etc) this set is capable of stunning picture quality, both on standard and hi-def inputs.
A word of warning though - you can sometimes end up concentrating on someone's hair folicles rather than what you are actually watching. I have lost the plot on a couple of Torchwood episodes as I was more concerned with John Barrowman's stubble than the plotline itself. Indeed, when showing my new telly to my sister and her husband, we were all transfixed by the uneven trimming of Neil Diamond's eyebrows (check it out for yourself!) than the concert itself! On my previous rear projection set you had a job to see his eyebrows in the first place!
Seriously, if you are in the market for a large (though not overpoweringly so) LCD TV this has to be a front runner in the value for money stakes. Any concerns over whether a Plasma might give slightly better blacks, or that a more highly specced set might offer smoother fast action (on sports or action movies etc) are quite honestly unfounded. The overall contrast looks natural and blacks show as near to black as I have seen on most domestic televisions. There is little or no blurring on sports like motor racing, football etc and Mr Diamond looks pin sharp as he glides across the stage. I just wish he'd trim his eyebrows properly!
Don't hesitate - order one today and I promise you won't be dissapointed!

Belkin Neoprene Messenger Bag for Notebooks up to 17-Inch Pitch Black/Soft Grey
Belkin Neoprene Messenger Bag for Notebooks up to 17-Inch Pitch Black/Soft Grey

4.0 out of 5 stars Well made - well padded - well I never!, 29 July 2009
An excellently made bag that gives the impression it will outlast the laptop it will be carrying! The only downside was the slightly awkward access to the main laptop section. Because the bag is accessed via the top,(rather than the more usual fully un-zippable lay flat design) it is a little tricky to insert the laptop while trying to hold the bag upright. A 17" laptop usually requires two hands to hold it but then it is awkward to hold the bag upright as you slide the laptop into it. My 17" Acer was such a tight fit that on first use I didn't think it would quite fit! But having said that, once the laptop is tucked away and zipped in, the bag feels like it offers excellent protection. A well made, quality product.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9