Profile for Mr. R. V. Malin > Reviews

Content by Mr. R. V. Malin

Mr. R. V. Malin (Warwickshire, England)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10
Nativity!
Nativity!

5.0 out of 5 stars Some Catchy Tunes from a Genuinely 'Feel Good' Movie!, 7 Feb 2013
This review is from: Nativity! (Audio CD)
This CD includes most of the original songs written for the film, as well as a number of classic tracks from a variety of top name artistes. Great to play in the car or the house on the run up to Christmas! (The film (also available on Amazon) has a cast led by Martin Freeman and a load of kids, mostly from ordinary schools and most of them with no theatrical training.)

16 Moreinks Compatible Printer Ink Cartridges to replace Epson T0715 - Cyan, Magenta, Yellow, Black
Offered by More Inks

5.0 out of 5 stars With MoreInks, you get 'More Inks' for your money!, 7 Feb 2013
Excellent quality compatible cartridges at seriously low prices! I have used these cartridges in a range of Epson printers, at work, at home and in our church office. We rarely get a dud one and they seem to last as long as the originals which cost many times the price. Highly recommended!

Windows 8 For Dummies Book + DVD Bundle
Windows 8 For Dummies Book + DVD Bundle
by Andy Rathbone

5.0 out of 5 stars This book should be included with every new W8 PC!, 6 Jan 2013
I think one or two of the reviewers of this book/dvd combination have mistakenly vented their feelings about the operating system itself and not this excellent 'idiots' guide! In fact you don't need to be a 'dummy' or an 'idiot' to benefit from this book. I've been using windows based PC's for over 25 years and I have to say this most recent Windows operating system is the least intuitive of all of them. However, this well written and quite humorous manual is essential if you are to master some of the baffling aspects of W8. You will learn how to re-instate the 'Start' button, how to download a free application to enable you to play a DVD (oddly Windows 8 does not come with any built in DVD playback software) as well as the various options when it comes to setting up user accounts. I am sure if Microsoft had employed the author, Andy Rathbone (he's written many other 'Dummies' books) to assist with the development of the operating system itself, then Windows 8 would not have come in for so much criticism and negative publicity.
It's hard to imagine any other consumer product that needs so much setting up, installing, registering, configuring etc all before you can do anything with it! Thankfully there are people like Andy Rathbone who can make sense of it and present it in an interesting, useful and entertaining way. Highly recommended for beginners and experts alike. Every new computer should include a copy of this terrific book/dvd package!

Windows 8 Pro, Upgrade Edition [Upgrade from Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7] (PC)
Offered by SoftwareDirect2u

4.0 out of 5 stars Windows 8 - I'm warming to it!, 5 Jan 2013
Can any piece of software have prompted so many reviews, not to mention replies and comments?! I only purchased Windows 8 Pro so that I could learn the ins and outs of this new OS so as to be able to teach my pupils. (I teach older people how to use computers and it was inevitable that any of them buying a new PC, would be lumbered with Windows 8!) However, despite my cynicism and doubts (having read so many negative reviews and comments) I must say I am beginning to warm to W8 but that's not to say I haven't found it a little confusing and in some respects, very disappointing. I am not going to give a long review (there are plenty on here already) but will just share the following issues I have so far come across:-

The good features:-
Not unpleasant 'Start' screen, giving W8 a fresh new look.
Seems to start quick (though this will slow down no doubt as I install new 'apps' etc particularly any that run in the background.
Access to Microsoft's new 'Apps' store.
I'm now struggling a bit to list any more good points!

The baffling points:-
Why no 'Start' button on the Desktop screen? (Easily remedied by downloading 'Classic Shell' (Google for it or it is available free with some PC magazines)
Overly complex choice of how you set up user accounts. (You can set up a 'local account' or, if you want to purchase certain 'Apps' from the Microsoft store, you need to set up a Microsoft account.)
The fact that opening Internet Explorer in 'Start Screen' view, does not show the same websites if you then open it it simultaneously in 'Desktop' view. Very odd.
No DVD playback software is included. You can buy an additional 'pack' from Microsoft that includes media playback software (it's free to download depending on what version of W8 you have and when you purchased it) although you can download alternative free software for this purpose.

That's all I can say about W8 Pro for now as I have only been using it for a few days. I am gradually coming round to thinking that it's not too bad but then shouldn't we be saying it's a brilliant new OS and by far the best yet? Well, we are not saying that (at least most people aren't) and it is far from a convincing or worthwhile improvement on W7. I think Microsoft should have brought W8 to the market as a purely tablet based operating system and leave W7 on sale until they develop the next PC/Laptop based OS.

Vivitar Vivicam X020 10MP Digital Camera - Purple (10.1MP, 2.0" TFT Preview Screen, 4x Digital Zoom, Anti-Shake and Face Detection)

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Star Value - Amazing Spec For Price!, 26 Dec 2012
A great little camera which is so compact and light that it's the perfect 'point & shoot' camera for holiday use or just for keeping in your pocket or handbag. Uses a standard sized SD card and has a clear preview screen which works surprisingly well, even in quite bright light. The flash re-charges quickly between shots. When you consider what a 10MP camera would have cost just a few years ago, this Vivitar X020 is something of a bargain!

NOW IN ANDROID 4.2.2 JELLY BEAN - FUSION5® 9.1" ECONOMY+ TABLET PC - CAPACITIVE 5-POINT 9.1-inch DISPLAY SCREEN - 16:9 SCREEN RESOLUTION - SLIMMEST VERSION CHEAPEST TABLET PC - PROMOTIONAL PRICE

5.0 out of 5 stars Keep taking the tablets!, 17 Dec 2012
Bought for my wife for Christmas, I have spent a couple of hours having a play with this device, basically setting it up, downloading a few apps and setting her up with her own Amazon account so she can download books onto her Kindle. Connecting to my home router was quick and easy. For the price, this tablet looks like great value for money. It certainly feels like a quality product and I can only concur that anyone giving this product a low star rating either has a faulty unit or just doesn't understand the product. The image quality looks fine, (I watched the Rolling Stones documentary on iplayer) and sound quality from the built in speaker is adequate but much improved if you listen through headphones. Like all Android based products, it does take a bit of getting used to in terms of the operating system and the instructions are pretty vague for anyone totally new to IT or mobile devices. For anyone looking for a first foray into a tablet PC, this great little device should serve you well without spending a fortune. I now can't wait until Christmas morning so I can have another play with it. (Well, I'll need to find something to do while the wife cooks the dinner - it will certainly make a change from putting the crosses in the sprouts!)

Morphy Richards 48715 Oval Slow Cooker 6.5 Litres - Stainless Steel
Morphy Richards 48715 Oval Slow Cooker 6.5 Litres - Stainless Steel

5.0 out of 5 stars Slow, Slow, Quick Quick Slow!, 1 Dec 2012
Reading some of the reviews on here might put you off this Morphy Richards slow cooker. One or two reviewers have complained about the build quality while others have suggested that it can easily over cook food etc. We used ours for the first time this week and have to say that we had a lovely bolognese sauce, left cooking during the day on the lowest heat setting. It was certainly bubbling nicely, but definitely not over cooked or burnt. There seems to be no hard and fast rules about slow cooking in terms of times, temp settings etc so it is very much a case of trial and error. For the price we paid I think this is an excellent buy.

Black Silicone Case Cover For Samsung S5830 Galaxy Ace
Black Silicone Case Cover For Samsung S5830 Galaxy Ace
Offered by Global Fly

5.0 out of 5 stars Great item!, 13 Nov 2012
This gel case seems to do the job well. The one I received fits my phone perfectly and offers more than adequate protection. What more could you ask?!

In Car Charger For Samsung Galaxy Ace S5830
In Car Charger For Samsung Galaxy Ace S5830
Offered by T-I-S

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing value!, 13 Nov 2012
What can you say about a car charger? Not much, except to say this item does the job and at a silly low price. What more could you want?!

Big Bang Theory Mug Collection set of 4
Big Bang Theory Mug Collection set of 4

5.0 out of 5 stars Great item - ideal gift for any BBT fans!, 21 Oct 2012
This item was purchased for my 25 year old daughter's birthday. I've rarely seen her more excited! Nicely made mugs and extremely well packed for shipping! What else can I say?!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10