Profile for Mr. R. V. Malin > Reviews

Content by Mr. R. V. Malin

Mr. R. V. Malin (Warwickshire, England)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10
Purple S-Line Gel Skin Case Cover For Samsung Galaxy S3 Mini I8190 + Screen Protector & Polishing Cloth By Connect Zone®
Offered by Connect Zone®

4.0 out of 5 stars Inexpensive case - does the job!, 16 Dec. 2014
A nifty little case that fits snugly to my Galaxy S3 Mini. Only issue is that some of the colour from the plastic deposits itself on the back of my phone. This is probably due to body heat (I tend to keep my phone in my shirt pocket) so this might not be problem for all users. Otherwise, for the money, you can't really complain!

Milliput Standard Yellow-Grey 113.4g Pack
Milliput Standard Yellow-Grey 113.4g Pack
Offered by millstones

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazingly Versatile!, 21 Nov. 2014
About 20 years ago I repaired a knob on our Canon gas hob using Milliput. It is still going strong today after 20 years of virtually daily use! So when a wheel dropped off our VAX 2000 carpet cleaning machine, due to the plastic part of the cleaner housing breaking, I was faced with either buying a new component (at probably massive expense) or buy this pack of Milliput for under 3 quid! Needless to say the Milliput has again done the business.

SAMRICK - Samsung i8190 Galaxy S3 SIII Mini - 'S' Wave Hydro Gel Protective Case - Black
Offered by TypeandColor

5.0 out of 5 stars Can't Fault It For The Price!, 10 Nov. 2014
Super cheap and does the job perfectly! Because there is no access holes to enable you to press the buttons on the side directly, it does make the on/off/standby button just a bit difficult to press. Otherwise though it's a great buy and offers excellent protection. It looks smart too!

NOW TV HD Smart TV Box - Movie Bundle
NOW TV HD Smart TV Box - Movie Bundle

5.0 out of 5 stars Great value - Perfect for Catch-Up TV, News etc!, 5 Sept. 2014
Bought this Now TV box to enable me to quickly and easily access catch-up TV as well as news headlines from BBC & Sky. Works a treat! Once you have set up the box with your router's security key (easily done with the remote via the onscreen keypad) the box will spend a couple of minutes loading up the software and will ask for your Now TV account details. Once these are keyed in, that's pretty much it. I actually set up my Now TV account before the box was delivered resulting in my free 1 month Sky Movies trial starting a few days before the box arrived! Probably best to wait until the box has been delivered and set up before setting up and activation your Now TV account.
The box consumes a very low current and is powered up permanently, meaning that it's ready to go as soon as you turn your TV on. Picture quality is good and more than adequate on the 32" TV in our dining room. Sound quality is also good played through our sound bar. The HDMI lead takes picture and sound to the TV and on my TV, I have connected the TV's audio out socket to the soundbar. (The box does however have the option to output both picture and sound via a 3.5mm A/V socket, so with a suitable A/V cable, you could route the audio to a dedicated audio amp.)
As already mentioned, I opted for the box + 1 month free Sky Movie subscription, which has a good choice of films. I may or may not cancel the movie subscription at the end of the first month but will see how it goes.
All in all this item does exactly what I wanted it for. It's remarkable value for money and easy to use.

Acer C720 11.6-inch Chromebook (Silver) - (Intel Celeron 1.4GHz, 2GB RAM, 16GB SSD, WLAN, BT, Webcam, Integrated Graphics, Google Chrome)
Offered by Student Discounts UK

5.0 out of 5 stars What a Revelation!, 9 Aug. 2014
Wow! This is how computing should be! Yes, I know this machine has it's limitations and won't do everything a full blown Windows or Mac laptop or PC will do, but blimey, what it does do it does very well. A friend of mine bought one of these from Argos last week and having got it home, realised it isn't quite like her previous PC. If she had asked my advice before buying I could have steered her towards a suitable budget priced Windows based notebook or laptop. But no, she went and bought it and then discovered that Argos won't take it back if it's not faulty! So I suggested she let me sell it for her. However, having had a look at it, reset the software back to factory settings,(using the onboard recovery program) I couldn't help but have a play with it. I was so impressed that I offered my friend a sensible price and am now the proud owner of my very own Chromebook!
The first thing you notice is the speed at which it starts up. Basically it takes just a few seconds after lifting the lid before you are presented with the Google sign in screen. Connection to wi-fi (in my case to my BT Home Hub) is virtually instant and you are very quickly looking at the Chrome desktop. The machine basically uses the Chrome web browser as an operating system in itself and access to websites is lightning fast, though this obviously depends to some degree on the speed of your internet connection.
Once online, I am able to access all of my essential day to day documents via my existing Microsoft Office 365 account. I am able to read, create and edit text documents and spreadsheets. (I realise that Google offers its own online office software and free storage but I prefer to stick with Office 365 as I use this at work and home.) As I prefer to use a mouse rather than the touchpad, particularly when using on a desk at home, I was pleased to see that the Chromebook instantly recognises a wide range of mice, either full size wired (via USB) or using a wireless mouse - the receiver can be plugged into the USB2 port leaving the USB3 port for external drives etc.
I've yet to explore all of the features of this brilliant little computer but first impressions are that it compliments perfectly my other PC's and laptop and is great for those times when you simply want to switch on, check your email, order a book for your Kindle and switch off again. All of which I can do in the time it takes my large desktop PC to decide to start!
This Chromebook won't do everything but it's perfect if you mostly surf the net, online shop, email, facebook etc. I like it!

CushCase Acer C720 Chromebook Sleeve Case Cover for Acer C720 11.6 inch Waterproof Canvas - Black
Offered by CushCase

5.0 out of 5 stars Great value - you won't be disappointed!, 7 Aug. 2014
Isn't it nice when you order something and it turns out to exceed expectations? Well this is one such product! Offering a snug fit to my Acer C720 Chromebook, this case is ideal for when you just need to transport your Chromebook in hand luggage or a ruck-sack. It offers well padded protection and looks smart!

BenQ GW2760HM LED VA Panel 27-inch W Multimedia Monitor 1920 x 1080 20M:1, 4 ms GTG, DVI, HDMI & Speakers - Glossy Black
Offered by Kikatek

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb Monitor - ThanQ BenQ!, 4 July 2014
Bought to work alongside my existing 27" BenQ monitor, this monitor is outstanding value for money. My first BenQ monitor needed a fair bit of tweaking to obtain an acceptible image, but this GW2760HM performed excellently straight out of the box. When I have the time and inclination, I will adjust it so it matches more closely the colours of my other monitor, as I am using them side by side for video editing. The stand offers a very stable mounting and it was good to see a HDMI cable included.
My only slight niggle is the location of the various buttons (power/menu etc) which are on the rear of the lower right hand edge of the monitor's bezel. But otherwise this is a superb bit of kit for the price. I have used BenQ monitors for a number of years and they have always provided faultless service.

Gillette Fusion Manual Razor Blades - Pack of 8
Gillette Fusion Manual Razor Blades - Pack of 8

5.0 out of 5 stars For a face as smooth as a baby's bum!, 16 Jun. 2014
Great blades and about half the cost of buying from a supermarket - don't we all just love Amazon?! I've ordered these before from Amazon and they are always exactly as advertised. Beware though, there are some dodgy counterfeit razor blades on the internet which are not a good thing to be swiping across your face first think in the morning! Excellent item and highly recommended.

Gillette Fusion 175 ml ProGlide Clear Shave Shaving Gel
Gillette Fusion 175 ml ProGlide Clear Shave Shaving Gel
Offered by Bargain Genie UK

5.0 out of 5 stars Lots of foamy goodness! Handy holiday sized tube!, 16 Jun. 2014
What can I say? A lovely little tube of foamy Fusion shaving gel. I use this with my wet and dry Philishave or (when I can afford them) Gillette's exhorbitantly expensive Fusion blades. (Actually I ordered this item with a pack of 8 Fusion blades which are currently available from Amazon at less than half shop prices.) No excuse for not having a face as smooth as a baby's bum!

Infiniti A4 Blank PhotoGlossy White CD Label (50)
Infiniti A4 Blank PhotoGlossy White CD Label (50)

4.0 out of 5 stars Great labels - shame no software supplied!, 16 Jun. 2014
These are excellent quality labels giving superb results, especially if you are including photos or graphics as part of the label design. They stick well and are very easy to apply, with far less chance of 'bubbles' or creases than plain paper labels.. I use a centre hole adaptor that was supplied with some different brand labels, which makes lining up the label to the disc's hole a doddle. I would have given 5 stars had it not been for the fact trying to find suitable software is all but impossible. In the end I designed my own template (using MS Publisher - other programs are available!) and I now have a quick and easy way of designing labels with text and image. However it would have been good if the manufacturer would give the option of downloading suitable templates. Don't be fooled by 'free links' - these often have unuseable templates (water marks etc) or in the end turn out to offer chargeable software. All that said, I've just ordered a load more of these while they are available at sensible money.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10