Profile for Chris M. Dooks > Reviews

Content by Chris M. Dooks

Chris M. Dooks "bovinelife" (Glasgow)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5
Last Vegas [DVD] [2013]
Last Vegas [DVD] [2013]
Dvd ~ Robert De Niro
Offered by RAREWAVES
Price: 7.83

1.0 out of 5 stars A Crash-Cow, 3 July 2014
This review is from: Last Vegas [DVD] [2013] (DVD)
This is a dreadful terrible waste of talent, time and opportunity. This is not 'The Hangover' for the septuagenarians and it will pass an hour or two if you are lying in bed - say in hospital - and want not to think of an impending heart-bypass for a while. In fact, it's just plain boring and patronising, especially the Michael Douglas persona. All these incredible actors, a chance to get them in the same room for some japes. Dreadful, boring and kind of disappointing that this kind of slosh constantly gets the green light.

Verbatim 43811 25GB BD-R SL Datalife 6x Inkjet Printable (Pack of 25)
Verbatim 43811 25GB BD-R SL Datalife 6x Inkjet Printable (Pack of 25)
Offered by Big Red Toolbox
Price: 18.86

5.0 out of 5 stars Never failed me yet, 27 Jan 2014
I've never had one of these Blu-Rays fail me and there's nothing to suggest verbatim have lost their groove, I've found that recordable blu-rays can be a little sensitive to touch, so keep them clean don't treat them mean... - and they'll archive well or play in your blu-ray player of choice. They seemed to burn at a decent speed also.

Samsung Interface USB 2.0/3.0 Slim Retail External DVD Writer - Glossy Blue
Samsung Interface USB 2.0/3.0 Slim Retail External DVD Writer - Glossy Blue
Price: 18.98

5.0 out of 5 stars Incredible value, 27 Jan 2014
So it isn't as sleek as the superdrive, it isn't as low-profile, so what, it was bought at 20 on here and it works a treat with my imac. It's delicate and a bit plastic-y but with a bit of TLC it may last years.

AllDayShop - Genuine Amaray Blu-ray Double Disc Face on Face Case Holds 2 Discs (15mm Spine) (Pack of 10)
Offered by Media Replication
Price: 6.29

5.0 out of 5 stars Cheap and Excellent, 27 Jan 2014
Not much to say other than these covers are the real deal. I had ordered a few, the delivery was great and everything was packaged well. I make my own film material and wanted an enclosure where I could stick a dvd and blu-ray in the same package so job done - here they are in situ:-

[...]

Enjoy!

HP CE658A P1102w 8MB 18ppm A4 LaserJet Printer
HP CE658A P1102w 8MB 18ppm A4 LaserJet Printer
Offered by Inkubus Bargains
Price: 80.59

5.0 out of 5 stars OSX Mavericks Success, 27 Jan 2014
Just a quick review because I'll cut to the chase. This printer works fine on the latest OSX Mavericks platform as of January 2014 but I suggest looking at mecelladdan's review on here as a guide to installing as it was far easier to understand than the (to be expected) rubbish instructions from HP. I'm not sure how long the toner will last, so I bought a fair bit as I have an awful lot of printing to do. But basically, I managed to get three macs of different OSX versions chatting quite happily to this light, cheap and effective unit. Time will tell I guess, but great first impressions.

Truvia Truvia Sweetener Jar 270g (Pack of 3)
Truvia Truvia Sweetener Jar 270g (Pack of 3)
Offered by British Food Shop
Price: 20.97

1.0 out of 5 stars NOT FOR DIABETICS, 23 Jan 2014
This sweetener was on offer and I bought it as a high street alternative for my usual diabetic sugar alterntives. I bought a fair bit of it.

1. First of all, it tastes revolting. I've just had a cup of coffee made with a tiny bit of it on the tea spoon and I can only describe the taste surrounding my tongue and mouth as confusing. It has an aftertaste that seems to linger for about twenty minutes. Horrible.

2. It has no calories, but from what I've read online, it's still full of fairly difficult stuff for diabetics to process and seems to trigger the adrenols the same way as refined sugar - here's an article I found

[...]

Anyone want three tubs of the stuff?

Hovis Granary Bread Mix 495g
Hovis Granary Bread Mix 495g
Offered by British Groceries
Price: 1.89

3.0 out of 5 stars Hmm - amazing results in bread machine - but with E numbers, 9 Jan 2014
One of the motivations for people making their own bread is to take health care into their own hands, so it is slightly disappointing to see the ingredients on this packet contain at least four E numbers. I've used it as a stand-by mix only, which is a shame because it is absolutely incredible taste-wise and it's one of the few ways in which bread does not taste like 'soda bread' out of the machine as much bread-machine does, but with the health benefits.

If there was some way in which this could be negated in future mixes, I'd be really happy to buy a lot of it, but as it stands, because bread is such a staple, I want to make sure I am keeping it simple and safe for the family.

Elysium [Blu-ray] [2013]
Elysium [Blu-ray] [2013]
Dvd ~ Matt Damon
Price: 8.50

4.0 out of 5 stars Not quite District 9, but a worthy film, where art direction makes up for it., 1 Jan 2014
This review is from: Elysium [Blu-ray] [2013] (Blu-ray)
The story of a reformed car-jacker who still can't quite get a break, like his pals (or the rest of the human population) - as the earth has become one huge dystopia / rubbish dump.

This kind of imagery and narrative builds on the South African 'ghettoscapes' Neill Blomkamp gave us in District 9 - and Elysium dramatises an underclass struggle previously seen as the 'prawns' vs humans tension of that film. Here Blomkamp re-tells a similar story of the rich/poor divide through those fated on earth - and those who have bought their way out of our troubled planet on the huge Elysium space station.

This is where Matt Damon struggles through life as Max, in this terrain, trying to keep out of jail by holding a steady job, but an industrial accident renders him with only days to live, and so he must break into Elysium - the huge, elegant circular space station *beautifully rendered* in this tense drama.

A few folk thought it was flawed - but I really enjoyed it - it's not perfect, there's a bit of creative license with the science and some of the characters are a little wooden - and unusually Jodie Foster is not a very complex character here - I can't quite tell if it's the script or her performance.

Either way, the visionary nature of the film is exquisite and to see it in HD is a real treat and it has a clear narrative, with some thrills to match.

AXE Armor Anti Dandruff 2 In 1 Shampoo & Conditioner 355 ml
AXE Armor Anti Dandruff 2 In 1 Shampoo & Conditioner 355 ml
Offered by OTCFORYOU
Price: 9.95

1.0 out of 5 stars awful product, 6 Mar 2013
This is a terrible product, makes the scalp terribly itchy and irritated, then very greasy following drying. I think it is also the same product under the lynx name. avoid.

Acid House Anthems
Acid House Anthems
Price: 12.71

2.0 out of 5 stars Chris Rea? Really?, 4 Feb 2013
This review is from: Acid House Anthems (Audio CD)
Please do not buy this badly-curated compilation. About 30% of this falls into the category "Acid House" - of that 30% roughly half are not anthemic. And to add insult to injury the last disc has remixes from artists that are about as far away as acid house as it is possible to throw these discs. Chris Rea?

Buy this instead, it's excellent http://www.amazon.co.uk/We-Call-Acieeed-Various-Artists/dp/B0000669O9/ref=sr_1_15?ie=UTF8&qid=1360009776&sr=8-15
Comment Comments (7) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 12, 2013 11:23 PM GMT

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5