Profile for B. Middleton > Reviews

Content by B. Middleton

B. Middleton (Lancashire, UK)

Page: 1 | 2
Dear Leader: North Korea's senior propagandist exposes shocking truths behind the regime

5.0 out of 5 stars Touching story of escape from North korea, 23 July 2014
This is a gripping account of life as one of a privileged minority in North Korea, and how having the luxury of rare glimpses into life in the outside world caused him to question the brainwashing and then a turn of events compelled him to escape. Very insightful look into the inner workings of the regime, combined with the gripping, sad, and also inspiring story of the escape makes this a must read!

The Life and Crimes of Don King: The Shame of Boxing in America
The Life and Crimes of Don King: The Shame of Boxing in America

5.0 out of 5 stars eye opening look into the corruption in boxing, 7 July 2014
Excellent book detailing the immorality of Don King and how corrupt boxing can be. How he has never gone to prison for the fraud he has committed is beyond me, a truly odious individual. A very good read if you like boxing.

Wooden Reading Rest - Adjustable Cookbook Holder
Wooden Reading Rest - Adjustable Cookbook Holder
Offered by Gizoo - Gadgets & Gifts

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent small table, 4 July 2014
Excellent table that is very good quality and goes well next to the sofa. It is very study, folds down and is exactly as advertised. The table arrived well packed and within a few days.

Undisputed Truth: My Autobiography
Undisputed Truth: My Autobiography

5.0 out of 5 stars Brutally honest and riveting look into Tyson's life, 23 Jun 2014
I have been fascinated by Mike Tyson since I was a kid and he seemed unbeatable in the ring. The most exciting boxer of my generation, I loved watching his fights. As a man he is a remarkable character, and I actually have great respect for the man he is trying to become. To be in his shoes at such an early age, without his mentor around to guide him, it's no surprise he had so many ups and downs, and this book details all of them, warts and all, and is the best auto biography I have ever read.

The Good Guys: How We Turned the FBI around - and Finally Broke the Mob
The Good Guys: How We Turned the FBI around - and Finally Broke the Mob
by Jules Bonavolonta

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome account of the battle against the 5 families, 30 Aug 2011
I have read probably 20 books about the mafia and this is a fantastic one from the perspective not normally covered - that from the law enforcement side. Donnie Brasco and also Donnie Brasco: Unfinished Business are also extrememly good reads and this complements both of those and fill in gaps plus from a slightly different opinion of things. The book is a good read and really had me rooting for Jules and the whole team and definitely admire what they were up against. Anybody who has read about the FBI under Hoover will sepecially enjoy reading this.

I started it at 5am this morning and just finished so tells you how much I enjoyed the book!! (Did have a couple of breaks in-between :-)

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (2010) [DVD]
The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (2010) [DVD]
Dvd ~ Noomi Rapace
Offered by best_value_entertainment

5.0 out of 5 stars Best subtitled film I have ever seen!!!, 30 April 2011
What a fantastic film!!! I have not read the book but now would definitely love to. The acting is first class and the plot keeps you going until the very end; the first 10 minutes or so are slow as it builds the foundation but once that is done the film really does keep you gripped. I can not recommend this highly enough. I was very shocked to see a few 1-star reviews (heavily in the minority!!) but then again each to their own. I for one found this to be a really well put together plot and can not recommend it highly enough.

TCP/IP Illustrated: Protocols v. 1 (APC)
TCP/IP Illustrated: Protocols v. 1 (APC)
by W. Richard Stevens

4.0 out of 5 stars Good TCP/IP book bit a little dated, 4 Feb 2011
This is a very good book to learn TCP/IP bit it is now a little dated, no doubt in it's day it would be worthy of 5-stars but I would recommend Internetworking with TCP/IP: v. 1: Principles, Protocols and Architecture by Douglas E. Comer as my TCP/IP reference book of choice which I also found to be a more enjoyable read; the 5th Edition of that was released in 2005 and includes sections discussing NAT/VPN, MPLS and other technologies in use today.

Internetworking with TCP/IP: v. 1
Internetworking with TCP/IP: v. 1
by Douglas E. Comer

5.0 out of 5 stars Undoubtedly the best TCP/IP book I have ever read, 4 Feb 2011
Having read Dr Comer's book from start to end I have to say that it is the best resource to fully understand all the nuances that the TCP/IP protocol suite has. Not only is the book extremely thorough it is extremely well written; very clear and concise and he makes it an enjoyable read. I have also read TCP/IP Illustrated Volume I and have to say that I found that although it was an excellent book it really is a bit dated and also a little bit harder to follow. This is a book that an experienced network professional can gain from as well as anybody who is completely new to networking. As a networking professional myself this book is an excellent resource to have available for reference.

Internetworking with TCP/IP Volume 1 : Principles, Protocols, and Architecture
Internetworking with TCP/IP Volume 1 : Principles, Protocols, and Architecture
by Douglas E. Comer

Last Days of the Sicilians: At War with the Mafia - The Federal Bureau of Investigation Assault on the Pizza Connection
by Ralph Blumenthal

5.0 out of 5 stars Gripping Account of Groundbreaking Case, 15 Aug 2009
As a mafia buff I have read probably 90% of available books on the American Mafia, La Cosa Nostra. I have always been intruiged to learn more both about the Pizza Connection case from the end of the 1970s into 1980s when the FBI along with other law enforcement agencies really started to step up their attacked on the Mafia. This is an excellent account of how the investigation evolved from what appeared to be a number of seperate leads evolved into a mamoth investigation that for the first time saw co-operation between the American and Italian authorities in their efforts to clamp down on the heroin smuggling and money laundering across the continents. Very well written and informative, it really highlights the efforts and emotions that the agents went through as they tried desperately to learn the full picture of what was happening. I do wish it had included more about Thomas Buscetta but thats a minor gripe. Different from all the American Mafia books as it involves major Sicilian made men in America, it also elaborates on the motivations as to why Carmine Galante was taken out.

Page: 1 | 2