Profile for R. J. Shillito > Reviews

Original Soundtrack Not Available
Original Soundtrack Not Available
by Ara Harris

5.0 out of 5 stars Highly original., 2 Aug 2014
"I want to marry an Amish man, make him a rock star carpenter, serve him liquor and lap dances in the barn. We would be the envy of Amish county, carrying iPhones, sexting in German gibberish, creating our own blend of cheese that would make everyone want to eat more cheese ......

Seeing Stars
Seeing Stars
by Simon Armitage

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful, shiny gemulets of prose., 11 May 2010
This review is from: Seeing Stars (Hardcover)
Oh I wish I was a writer ! (but I int). If I were a writer tho', I'd be jealous to death of this little book. I'd probably give up writing I'd be that peeved.
Seeing Stars is a collection of 39 delightful, round, shiny, perfectly formed "gemulets" of prose. It's an album full of hit singles like we used to get, back in the old days.
The concept is pure genius : Tiny, nonsensical tales involving the warmest of characters, filled to the brim with beautiful language we use every day but rarely see written down.
You may have to stop half way thro', do something solemn for a bit just to give the smiling muscles a rest.
When you get to the end (it is only 74 pages) you just flick back to the start and read it all over again.
Thanks Simon, it's a beautiful thing.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 10, 2011 11:35 AM BST

The Beast Within (Penguin Classics)
The Beast Within (Penguin Classics)
by Émile Zola

5.0 out of 5 stars un-put-downable, 6 Feb 2010
Having always steered away from the "Classics" series, considering myself a "modernist". I found this book un-put-downable. Every scene vividly set and engaging without over-description or tedious narrative. The riveting pace of the train journeys equal any CGI-ed Hollywood blockbuster.