Profile for Helen > Reviews

The Shadow Wife
The Shadow Wife
Price: 4.79

3.0 out of 5 stars A good read?, 2 Aug 2013
This review is from: The Shadow Wife (Kindle Edition)
I love Diane Chamberlain's books so I choose this one to read on my Kindle.
Strangely The Shadow wife left me feeling frustrated as the two story lines were dragged out. If I had read it from a book I would have skim read it to hurry it up and jumped to nearer the end. Possibly the Kindle made it seem longer as you can't see how many pages are left.
It was an intriguing theme....what do you do when your partner lives on in limbo? Can you have any relationships without feeling you are betraying them.
Not every book can be a winner.

You Had Me At Hello
You Had Me At Hello
Price: 0.99

1.0 out of 5 stars Why did I buy it?, 28 Dec 2012
Never buy Kindle downloads late at night!
I bought this because it was on the best sellers list......mistake.....can't get into it. I then saw the book in a bookshop and it looked interesting......didn't realise it was the one I had downloaded!!

Falling In Love [1984] [DVD]
Falling In Love [1984] [DVD]
Dvd ~ Robert De Niro

5.0 out of 5 stars One of my favourites, 28 Dec 2012
This review is from: Falling In Love [1984] [DVD] (DVD)
I love Meryl Streep and this is the film which did it for me.The first time I saw it I hated Robert Deniro's performance....over the years he has grown on me.....just don't think he is good enough for Meryl.
Still think the guy playing her husband is miscaste......he looks like a maniac....you don't have any empathy with him at all!
I adore Brief Encounter which this is a nod to.....in it you love the husband but still have sympathy with the heroine and her passion.
When I was in New York this year I went to Grand Central station to see where they met.
Another of my cosy afternoon films.

Frankie & Johnny [DVD] [1992]
Frankie & Johnny [DVD] [1992]
Dvd ~ Al Pacino
Price: 3.50

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it, 28 Dec 2012
I saw this film when it came out have always loved it and is one of my cosy afternoon films.
Been to New york a few times......still trying to find a diner where the food is as good as it looks in the film!

Hilife Canned Cat Food Tuna Flakes 170 g (Pack of 24)
Hilife Canned Cat Food Tuna Flakes 170 g (Pack of 24)

3.0 out of 5 stars Jojo's opinion, 28 Dec 2012
Keeps me happy when the tin is opened....needs a bit of water added to it later in the day. I can't eat the whole tin at one sitting....my owner thinks it's good value for money.

That Woman: The Life of Wallis Simpson, Duchess of Windsor
That Woman: The Life of Wallis Simpson, Duchess of Windsor
by Anne Sebba
Price: 5.59

5.0 out of 5 stars A good read, 3 Aug 2012
If you are intrigued by this "love story" and The Duke of Windsor's fascination with Wallis Simpson this book goes a long way to explain the fatal attraction.
Edward the eight couldn't take on the great burden of kingship without the support of the woman he loved even though hundreds of thousands of men laid down their lives to ensure he had a country to reign over! What kind of a spineless creature was he?
Wallis Simpson.....what did she have more than all the other married women he had dallied with?
Did she actually WANT to marry him? Can it be true that she could provide "special services" yet didn't satisfy her two previous husbands?
What happened to happy ever after?
Did he think he could remain living in England having a permanent "Good Time" while his brother and his wife did all the hard work?
I really enjoyed this book....so will you.

Edward And Mrs Simpson [DVD]
Edward And Mrs Simpson [DVD]
Dvd ~ Edward Fox
Price: 7.95

5.0 out of 5 stars For all those intrigued by the Edward & Mrs Simpson affair., 7 Mar 2012
This review is from: Edward And Mrs Simpson [DVD] (DVD)
It is such an intriguing love affair and this serialisation goes a long way to explain Edward's infatuation.
The story is told slowly in a detailed way which painstakingly tells how they met and how the affair progressed.

Edward Fox is a disarming prince with a charm and flashing smile which helps explain the Prince of Wales popularity with thoe he met.......harder to understand from newsreels of the real man. He also shows us the spoilt brat who insisted on his selfish demands whatever the cost.
Cynthia Harris' portrayal of Mrs Simpson shows a totally coniving woman who doesn't let anything stand in the way of her getting her prince/king.
Did they not really understand what would happen if he abdicated? Possiblly not, as everyone finds it so difficult to communicate with each other.

Did Edward know that he would never be able to return to England? Did he really believe that he & Mrs Simpson could just sit back in the Fort entertaining his friends while his brother did all the work?

It is interesting how the British press was so reluctant to tell the public what was happening.....could this happen today?
I was intrigued to see this series again after watching Madonna's WE....an excellent film for all those who like to know more about this love story.
I really enjoyed the DVD and would recommend it.

The Catherine Cookson Collection: 23 Feature Length Adaptations [24 DVDs]
The Catherine Cookson Collection: 23 Feature Length Adaptations [24 DVDs]
Dvd ~ Various
Offered by ClassicMovieStore
Price: 69.92

5.0 out of 5 stars The Catherine Cookson Collection, 11 July 2010
The Catherine Cookson Collection DVD set is the perfect antidote to poor television programming.
As the World cup and Wimbledon were about to start I decided to purchase some alternatives. I bought a couple of Catherine Cookson dvds and then realising how well made they were, I thought I would look and see if Amazon had an offer on the whole set...they did and I ordered.
What a great offer...I have hours of amazing period costume drama to dip into when ever I feel the need.