Profile for sam7992 > Reviews

sam7992

The Gentle Art of Knitting
The Gentle Art of Knitting
by Jane Brocket

4.0 out of 5 stars Another beautiful,inspirational yet practical book from Jane Brocket, 27 May 2011
I purchased this book as soon as it was released as I have loved all of the author's other books. On first glance I was slightly disappointed with the selection of patterns- only one jumper (a lovely oversized comfy jumper) and lots of smaller items that I skipped past. However on second and third reading I found that this was a book that I adored. The beautiful pictures and inspiring words sucked me in and I soon found myself knitting my first pair of socks. I don't think this book would appeal to all knitters especially those who like only to knit clothing and those who want very difficult patterns. But if you like the author's blog I think you'll appreciate the projects she has included as they are reminiscent of projects she has shown there over the years. The projects in the book include a hot water bottle cover, an apron, 2 pairs of socks, beautiful scarves, a hat, various cushion covers. She features beautiful yarns in a realistic way- rather than suggesting an expensive yarn for a jumper or dress she uses it for a small item like a scarf or cushion so the knitter is not been asked to make a huge investment.
Overall I'd highly recommend this book.

Professional Sewing Techniques for Designers
Professional Sewing Techniques for Designers
by Jules Cole and Sharon Czachor

4.0 out of 5 stars Great book for Home sewers, 27 May 2011
I was hestiant to purchase this book because of the price but I have found it to be a great wealth of information since purchasing it a year ago. It's size can make it seem a bit off putting but it's sheer size allows for a huge amount of information to be provided to the sewer.I don't think this is just for designers it is just as helpful for all sewers wishing to improve their skills. I would compare it to the Reader's Digest Book of sewing which is also a fantastic source for sewers, I would probably suggest getting the Reader's Digest book first if you are a new sewer and then moving on to this book if you wished to get more information about general sewing techniques.

The Gentle Art of Quilt-Making
The Gentle Art of Quilt-Making
by Jane Brocket

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful inspiring book, 27 May 2011
This was the book that finally got me quilting, I've looked at quilting books before but none inspired me the way this one did. While the designs may not be as difficult or mind bending as in other quilting books , it's the writing and the beautiful fabrics & colours that set this one apart. Brocket's tone is encouraging and gives the impression that anyone can create quilts as beautiful as the one's she makes. I highly recommend this book even if you never make any of the quilts but just to soak up the inspiration!

Metric Pattern Cutting
Metric Pattern Cutting
by Winifred Aldrich

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Book, 24 May 2011
This review is from: Metric Pattern Cutting (Hardcover)
This is one of the better pattern drafting books out there. I borrowed it from the library before purchasing because of previous disappointments with drafting books. Once I'd looked through it , I purchased my own copy. I would highly recommend it , I'm a beginner at pattern drafting but this book has helped me grasp the principles quicker than any other book on the subject.

Kaffe Fassett's V & A Quilts: 23 Beautiful Patchworks Inspired by the Victoria & Albert Museum: 23 Beautiful Patchworks Inspired by the Victoria and Albert Museum
by Kaffe Fassett

5.0 out of 5 stars fantastic and inspirational!, 24 May 2011
Kaffe Fassett is my quilting hero! This book is so beautiful and it is really interesting to see the inspiration quilts updated with Fassett's very modern prints. The instructions seem good and the patterns are exciting without being overly difficult. This is my favourite Fassett quilting book.