Profile for Nell Garrett > Reviews

Content by Nell Garrett

Nell Garrett (Oxfordshire)

Garmin nuvi 2595LMT 5" Sat Nav with UK and Full Europe Maps, Free Lifetime Map Updates and Free Lifetime Traffic Alerts and Bluetooth

4.0 out of 5 stars Good enough, 10 July 2013
This is our third Garmin and I'm generally very happy with it. Much faster than my old W255 to recalculate, and it's reassuring to have the lifetime maps (a good deal) and traffic (a bit more flaky as coverage is not universal in the UK). It has route planning with choices (a la Google) which is useful, as I previously had to force waypoints in to choose an alternative route.

The voice is a much friendlier one that I don't feel compelled to switch off. though it has some strange pronunciations (e.g. FaRINGdon instead of FARingdon), and an annoying habit of quoting local road names instead of national numbers (can you switch this off?). And, strangely, it quotes one two and three digit number as A-4-4-7 etc., but four digit numbers as numbers as "B four thousand two hundred and seventy five" which is hard to process quickly.

I have found several errors on the speed limits on the base maps (as opposed to the safety camera maps) so watch out if you rely on these. I have so far also come across two navigation errors, a wrong one way road on the south of England and a bus lane in the Midlands that it tried to take me down. But it navigated me well round the back streets of Edinburgh recently to avoid the mega road works in the centre.

The Garmin website is confusing and the various features and the Garmin Express software doesn't seem to take any notice of what you've done on the web and vice versa, so I was very confused at the start as to whether I had downloaded the right map updates. I'm pretty IT literate so I don't think it was me. But it actually did work fine - just not very confidence inducing.

So overall I would certainly buy again, but have just knocked off a star for a little roughness round the edges of a very good product. As ever with sat navs, it's an invaluable tool. Just go on using your eyes and judgement when you're navigating with it.

Digimax Industrial AAA Rechargeable Batteries 750 mAh x 4
Digimax Industrial AAA Rechargeable Batteries 750 mAh x 4
Offered by PoundMax

5.0 out of 5 stars Good little soldiers, 10 July 2013
Have had these in our cordless phones for a year now and they continue to perform well, with the phone often off the base unit for several hours in the day

MITSUGAWA 2100mA Dual USB MINI car charger Double USB CLA adapter for iPad/Nook/Tablet PC/iPhone CA5521(CE approved)-White box packaging
Offered by Sunkin

5.0 out of 5 stars Classy, 24 May 2013
Unlike many 12V socket devices, this feels solid and well put together, with a finish that actually makes it a pleasure to handle. We bought it specifically because it has two outlet sockets and a high enough power output (claimed 2100mA) to charge an iPad mini, and it does the job

TeckNet MT-096 Apple FM Transmitter For Apple iPhone 3G, iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4G,
TeckNet MT-096 Apple FM Transmitter For Apple iPhone 3G, iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4G,
Offered by TECKNET

5.0 out of 5 stars Simple and effective, 24 May 2013
This works very well in our pre-bluetooth, pre MP3 socket, VW camper, transmitting a clear strong signal without interference, provided only that the frequency we are using is free from any extrenal broadcast transmission. Much more impressed than we were expecting to be, for a low cost product. Initial impressions are that it is robustly built. The iPod charger mini-USB connection to a 12v power outlet works fine too.

RSPB Pocket Garden Birdwatch
RSPB Pocket Garden Birdwatch
by Mark Ward

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing lack of useful content, 2 Mar 2012
I bought this as a present for an armchair birdwatcher to use to spot birds in their garden (the clue is in the title).

I was disappointed that so little of this small book was allocated to bird pictures and descriptions. Much of the book covers what to feed to birds and other background material readily available elsewhere and unneeded in a small pocket book.

Gelert Brook Shower/Utility Tent - Black Forest/Meadow Mist/Black
Gelert Brook Shower/Utility Tent - Black Forest/Meadow Mist/Black

5.0 out of 5 stars Plucky little survivor, 11 Jun 2011
Used this recently on a beachside campsite on Mull alongside our campervan. Winds were up to force 7 and the tent was blown and buffeted but survived unscathed and felt windproof and secure when inside. Great product and great value.

Garmin Universal Friction Mount for 700/600/300/200 series
Garmin Universal Friction Mount for 700/600/300/200 series
Offered by Electronics and Gadgets Direct Ltd

5.0 out of 5 stars You may need a backplate too, 23 Jun 2010
It's everything the many favourable reviews say it is. Just remember that if, like me, you were replacing a complete mounting system, you will also need to buy the backplate for your SatNav to clip on to this mount.

Camping Atlas of Western Australia: Complete Guide to Camping in National Parks, State Forests, Nature Reserves, Selected Private Camping Grounds
by Colin Kerr
Edition: Map

5.0 out of 5 stars Essential Camping Companion, 10 April 2010
We used this to plan a camping trip of SW WA. It was accurate in its descriptions and a great help when it came to finding our way to National Park camp sites. Well worth buying before your trip and plotting your route. Highly recommended.

The Small Back Room (Cassell Military Paperbacks)
The Small Back Room (Cassell Military Paperbacks)
by Nigel Balchin

5.0 out of 5 stars A great tale and an insight into WW2 politics, 28 Jun 2008
I picked up a 1944 edition of this book from my father's bookshelves, and started to read it without knowing its pedigree. The further I read the more I was hooked. I discovered that Balchin was a pioneering Industrial Psychologist, and his understanding of the intrigues of large organisations and the complex motives of ambitious but often ineffectual people shines through. This aspect alone makes the book worth reading today, but also it's a great story.

Kensington USB Power Cable for Apple® iPod¿
Kensington USB Power Cable for Apple® iPod¿
Offered by BESTBUYIT

3.0 out of 5 stars Good in parts, 31 May 2008
I bought this to charge my iPOD Touch. Plugging the Touch into the adaptor and plugging the adaptor straight into the PC works fine, but if I try to attach it through the rinky-dink retractable extension cable my PC doesn't recognise the device and the device doesn't charge. So OK as long as you have something to prop up your iPOD when it's plugged into the (rigid) adaptor