Profile for Thomas Robb > Reviews

Content by Thomas Robb

Thomas Robb "Hobmachine" (Bangor, Northern Ireland)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9
Elite Ghibli Parabolic Roller Trainer  - Silver/Red
Elite Ghibli Parabolic Roller Trainer - Silver/Red
Offered by WoollyHatShop

5.0 out of 5 stars Silent Running!, 17 July 2015
I have just used these rollers for the first time and found them to be excellent. They were bought to replace a set of TACX rollers that I pounded into the ground by putting 2000 miles on them. Eventually the TACX rollers needed a new roller, a full set of six roller bearings and sadly this did not stop the noise which at the end was such a rumble that watching the telly while rolling was impossible.
I bought these simply on internet reviews and bearing in mind I do have quite a bit of roller experience, can attest to the Elites superiority.
For at start, I opened the box, folded them out, making sure the drive belt was on the right way and, er, m, that's it! BLAMMO, they were ready to go. Building the TACX was a total bast**d, never mind the ridiculous balancing act with the TACX when replacing the rollers/bearings. The ELITE could not have been simpler to use: it was ready in seconds.
First ride impressions were a joy, no noise at all. Nothing more than a light "thrumming" which I believe, if I put down a beach towel under the rollers I can reduce that noise level even more. A really cool addition to these rollers over the TACX is the parabolic curve on the outer edge of each roller. This really works. As the TACX does not have these, I fell off so many times when learning how to use rollers that my clip flooring in the living room looked like the start grid of a formula one race, with all the rubber skid/burn marks where I'd clattered off. These parabolas stop that happening by alerting you very quickly to get back in the middle, but without dram of a spill !
As soon as I opened the very well packed box, I instantly noticed the build quality. Very well designed.
If you are thinking of going down this route I could not recommend these rollers more.
Delighted, and because of that, will use them lots and that automatically means better road performance in the long run and ergo better health. You can't beat that.

NB: Update after 5 uses. Just compared a TACX roller to the Elite roller. TACX is concave curved while the Elite is actually flat, like the road surface. This it transpires is a far better system and feels more realistic when riding. The TACX system used the concave curve to keep you sliding off, which didn't work for me as many a spill attested, but the Elite flat surface which high curved arches at each roller end is far superior. As you near it, the high parabolic curve gives a drag effect and a small squeal off the rubber side wall of the tyre, alerting you to get back in the middle. These rollers are making a huge impression in the most positive way.

Fruit Of The Loom Mens Tipped Short Sleeve Polo Shirt
Fruit Of The Loom Mens Tipped Short Sleeve Polo Shirt
Price: £5.65 - £13.87

5.0 out of 5 stars Bang On !, 15 July 2015
Shirt fit is excellent, used a Fruit Of The Loom tee shirt as an example of what size to order and it was exactly right for me.
Shirt itself in black looks very good and am pleased with quality. Def recommended.

Dickies Redhawk Mens Cargo Style Shorts Branded Workwear Casual Side Pockets Back Pockets Olive 44''
Offered by wholesale workwear

5.0 out of 5 stars Decent shorts at competitive price, 14 Jun. 2015
Very good shorts for the price, decent set of colours too, which is not common. Mine are olive drab and quite cool. Well pleased with these. Fit was bang on as well. Would buya again.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Little Tool Walks Tall !!, 26 May 2015
Great little piece of kit , and like all the best tools, thought out by people who use them. You can bring an amazing amount of torsional pressure to bear from this little gem. Unreal price too.
Smashing!

All Over
All Over
Offered by Fulfillment Express

5.0 out of 5 stars Stopped Dead In My Tracks, 1 May 2015
This review is from: All Over (Audio CD)
On playing this as ambient music to my evening chores in my DOMEcile , was astonished when hit by Bluebird: consequently all labours came to nought.
This is simply a marvellous album. Marvellous in it's simplistic intricacy. Marvellous in the echoes from previous albums by E G Lewis. You can hear a lot of the past in here, but presented in such futuristic aural cinematography. Honestly , if you don't hear a dozen as yet unmade Nordic Noir classic films within these tracks, you may be already brain dead. Trust me, the pictures, visions and sights in this work are magnificent. Listen and travel.
A few days ago I bought the latest WIRE album and have been somewhat disappointed in it ( a reviewer more succinct than I claimed it was more of a GITHEAD work than a WIRE piece, they're right, it is). I know this album will get far more head-play than the WIRE.
It's perfect E G Lewis.
And as for the cover.......................Uppsala beckons.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 25, 2015 7:06 PM BST

Moon Crescent Rear Light - Red
Moon Crescent Rear Light - Red
Offered by Adventure Northumberland

5.0 out of 5 stars Blindin' !!!, 27 Mar. 2015
This little gem is a marvel. Weighs absolutely nothing, good rubberized mounting band fitted in seconds, choice of horizontal or vertical mounting, and will burn the yes out of you if you are as dumb as I am by looking into it, idiot style, when trying settings.
The "rave" setting is hilarious and will get you spotted miles off ( which is kinda the point), all of the other five are fine, too.
Delighted with this and don't get other criticisms regarding rubber grommet for USB port being fiddly.

ZOS Practical 10-40x50 E-SF IR SWAT Optical Scope Rifle Scopes Quality
ZOS Practical 10-40x50 E-SF IR SWAT Optical Scope Rifle Scopes Quality

5.0 out of 5 stars A Lot Of Scope For A Little Money, 10 Mar. 2015
I have been looking at one of these for quite a while and after a lot of web searching and reviews on the net decided to take the plunge and buy one of these scopes, I asked myself, "How bad could it be?"
Well, actually, not bad at all. Firstly, I believe these ZOS scopes can be has under a different name from a UK supplier. Having bumped into this scope on a second hand rifle in my gunshop, I got a chance to see & handle one first hand and was impressed.
Removing all the snobbery of what I have read online about them, I feel there is a lot going on here for the money. Of course optical quality cannot equal a Schimdt, Leupold, Nikon or Swarovski, but then not every shooter can afford those prices ( I know I can't), and you would be very stupid to expect so. Turret "clicks" are not quite so crisp either as the big boys are, but, well, does it actually work?
Er, yes.
I have had this on a 6.5X284 for two outings at 300 yards and the damn thing brought home the bacon. Optical quality was ok in very dull light, the mag from 10 X up to 40X worked fine, and most importantly of all did not effect the bullet impact at all at 300. Zoom in, zoom out, no loss of zero. Three of my shooting pals where very surprised at how well they did with it, managing to hold the V Bull at 300 easily, and when zoomed up to 24 X, they could easily see the scoring rings on the NRA 300 yard target. Crosshairs could be a little finer, but again, everything about this scope must be measured against the price. IR reticule works ok, but I never use them so for me on any scope there an irrelevance.
On one UK varminting website, I did read a hilarious story of how someone turned up at a 1000 yard comp on Diggle range with one of these and won!!! The web site goes on to say there were a lot of pi**ed off high end glass owners that day ! Of course the nut-on-the-butt has a lot to do with it too.....
Scope comes with two spring loaded lens caps which do the job ok , but are not of Butler Creek quality, however also included is a sun shade which if bought separate on the net can cost upward of £30 depending where you buy one.
Overall very pleased with this scope. No, I wouldn't recommend taking a deer with it at last light, but for basic cheap as chips informal range work out to 900 on decent days for those on a budget, it punches well above its' weight. Worth it for the look of pure horror on the face of the shooter beside you on the same peg when you stuff him at 600 yards with it!!!

NB, this arrived all the way from China in 7 days which was incredible for the postage

kwmobile® Car mount for Nokia Lumia 830 - Mobile phone fits in the mount with case or cover!
Offered by KW-Commerce

5.0 out of 5 stars Cheap As Chips But It Works., 5 Mar. 2015
Cheap As Chips and maybe not that subtle design wise, but must confess the damn thing actually works. Suction cup very efficient and holds phone rather well: it was tested over some of County Kildare's back roads today and if it was gonna get bounced out of the cradle anywhere it was here. Nice touch is the feet which fold out giving a very secure hold.
Device may be lacking something in the style dept, but if it had been designed by Philip Starck it'd cost £300.....
It works and does a good job and at that price I can live with it's "Transformer" looks.

teKKno® Nokia LUMIA 830 [Complete Slim Protection] Stylish Defender Heavy Duty Shock Proof Case Cover with Back Stand Incl. LCD Guard + Cloth (Red)
Offered by teKKno

5.0 out of 5 stars Chunky & Funky, 26 Feb. 2015
Very reasonable price, quick del and fit and finish are very good. leased that it ahs cool little stand in the back too. Device holds phone very firmly and this ought to save the Nokia when I drop the bugger eventually when getting in-out of car. Very good.

Popamazing Bike Bicycle Maintenance Mechanic Repair Folding Work Stand Mountain Tool

5.0 out of 5 stars A Stand Up Stand!!!, 19 Feb. 2015
Was taken aback at how cheap this stand is but was convinced by the reviews: all of them very high.
Have just taken delivery of my stand, built it up and having installed my Specialized Secteur Triple Sport, am amazed at how good this is for the price.
There are a couple of things I think you will have to watch out for, inasmuch that one has to tighten the blue knobs/wheels to ensure that there is no slippage a tad more than I would normally expect, but at this price , "so what?"
It may be that I have to do the odd bodge to keep the stand functional over the years, but again, at this price, who cares, I can certainly live with that.
Folds down very well and stores easily in the back cubby hole.
I have been looking at stands for 3 years now but could never settle on one: some are prohibitively expensive, others so cheap as to ring alarm bells, but this one I bought solely on the strength of the reviews ( the system WORKS!) .
Delighted!!!