Profile for geek in heels > Reviews

Content by geek in heels

geek in heels (UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
My Carry Potty
My Carry Potty
Offered by Direct 4 Baby

3.0 out of 5 stars great for training but quality is not up to standard, 4 Jun. 2014
This review is from: My Carry Potty (Baby Product)
this potty is great for my little girl who gets a bit shy about public toilets and unfamiliar potties. also great for when we're out and about in the park for example and she needs to go quickly.

however given the price I'm really disappointed with the quality - have used it for 3 months and both the hinges are broken into pieces. this means the potty is still usable but no longer water tight. not a huge problem as i always empty it and wipe it down, even if we're outdoors (haven't had a outdoor poo situation yet), but it's just annoying that it's broken so quickly. don't think i would replace it, and as a result, would not necessarily recommend it to a friend

Inecto Pure Coconut Dry Shampoo 150ml
Inecto Pure Coconut Dry Shampoo 150ml

2.0 out of 5 stars loved the shampoo but nozzle broken on third use, 18 Nov. 2013
I loved it when I got it. Scent is amazingly coconutty and works well on my hair. However the nozzle broke on third use, no idea why. Very disappointed

Dylon Suede & Nubuck Shoe Dye (Black)
Dylon Suede & Nubuck Shoe Dye (Black)
Offered by A ONE SUPPLIERS

4.0 out of 5 stars good to use but not enough dye, 8 Nov. 2013
I have a pair of women's size 4 camel-colorered ankle boots that I wanted to dye black, it wasn't enough dye in the bottle to properly cover the whole pair. Given how small my feet are, I think for most people you'll need two bottles if you want to change colours. Might need less if you're just touching up.

Vicks Paediatric Mini Ultrasonic Humidifier
Vicks Paediatric Mini Ultrasonic Humidifier

2.0 out of 5 stars only buy in desperate situations, 28 Oct. 2013
I rarely write negative reviews because I always research and read lots of reviews before buying any products, especially electronics, so even if it has some faults, I know what I'm getting myself into. However I bought this product when my baby was a few months old and got her first cold. In desperation to calm her at night I bought this humidifier from Argos as it was at the time the only one available.

What a mistake. At £50 for a simple one-function product it's really not cheap, and you'd expect it to be a decent product that last for ages. Ours started making noises after a few weeks of use, so can't use at night as it disturbs baby's sleep. I did the usual thing to clean it with vinegar, and improves a little but soon enough it starts acting up again.

At one point the water leaked all over the carpet. I don't know what happened, and so cleaned again, because it seems like all problems have to do with the scale buildup. However the fuse was blown next time we used it, which I think is because the water leaked into the electronic parts. Now it's completely dead after about a year of on and off light usage.

Overall perhaps a bit more regular cleaning could've lasted it a bit longer, but still I'd expect the product to be more robust than this. Very disappointed, don't feel like it's worth the money.

Also worth mentioning that the dial has quite a bright green light when in use, which is annoying when you're trying to keep baby's room dark at night.

My Mummy's Bag
My Mummy's Bag
by Paul E. Hanson
Edition: Board book

3.0 out of 5 stars ok - maybe bought it a bit early, 21 Oct. 2013
This review is from: My Mummy's Bag (Board book)
I generally don't care too much about age recommendations cos my 2-year old loves many toys labelled 3+, so I ordered this despite the age recommendation.
However this time it was probably right. my daughter wasn't very keen. maybe she will be later.

another thing is a personal taste thing - the design is obviously very american which is just not to my taste. it's just a tiny bit too cheesy for me.

Peppa Pig Toothbrush Twin Pack
Peppa Pig Toothbrush Twin Pack
Offered by Greens Pharmacy

5.0 out of 5 stars brushing teeth is fun, 21 Oct. 2013
my 2-year old daughter loves peppa. she was a bit of a reluctant teeth brusher, so i thought this might help, and i wasn't disappointed.
she loves being able to choose between peppa or george every night. sometimes brush with both.

had no problems with safety yet. we've just ordered our second set. have used the first set for a few months - probably should've changed a bit more frequently, oops.

Orchard Toys Farm Four in a Box
Orchard Toys Farm Four in a Box

4.0 out of 5 stars great puzzles, 21 Oct. 2013
got my 2-year old this. Wasn't sure whether she'll be able to do it, because she's only tried 2-3 piece puzzles before, and the age suggestion on the box is 3+. to my delighted surprise, she loved playing with it and mastered all 4, including the 12-piece puzzle within a week.
so would definitely recommend it for younger than 3 year olds.
the puzzles are well made and colour-coded. easy to sort them to different puzzles.

my only complaint is that it hasn't lasted very long. my daughter is already getting a bit bored with it. I'm ordering a set containing 12/24/35/50-piece puzzles next

Vital Baby Unbelievabowl Set (Blue)
Vital Baby Unbelievabowl Set (Blue)

2.0 out of 5 stars overpriced and doesn't really work, 21 Aug. 2012
The suction doesn't work well and it's really difficult to attach or remove the bowl to/from the base - often when I try to remove the bowl I end up removing the bowl and the base altogether!

The only thing that helps with the suction is if you put some water on the surface, but it's inconvenient if you don't have water handy.

Not worth the money. Would not recommend

Epson Stylus SX515W High-Speed All-in-One Printer with Individual Inks and Wi-Fi

5.0 out of 5 stars Great value, 4 April 2011
I can't believe how cheaper this gadget is, given that it does color printing, photocopying and scanning, as well as operate via wifi.

The instructions given were easy to understand and took no time to set up. I have a little Windows 7 mobile notebook so I downloaded the driver instead of using the disc. No problem at all.

Scanning, photocopying, printing all work great. Printing is not as fast as laser printer, but really not bad at all.

One small gripe is how quickly the black ink runs out. But the good thing is that each color can be replaced individually so there is no waste.

Very happy customer indeed.

Gifted Lives: What Happens when Gifted Children Grow Up
Gifted Lives: What Happens when Gifted Children Grow Up
by Joan Freeman

4.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable read, 4 April 2011
I came by this book by chance and read it purely as human interest stories. I think if you're looking for a handbook on how to raise gifted children, or a scientific psychological report you would be very much disappointed. The book is written in a style that is wrought with the author's emotions and personal interpretations or judgements of these children and their families.

The book tells the stories of many gifted children, their lives growing up and what's happening with them as adults. Few has reached the kind of success that was expected of them. The main idea that seems to come across is that the label of giftedness is almost like a burden to both parents and children which make growing up more complicated. Never-ending higher expectations, over-parenting, unfitting educational environment and emotional disturbances seem to be the obstacles of the proper development of gifts. The author come across blaming a lot of the problems on the parents. There is also the sense that while many parents focused on intellectual development, few paid attention to the emotional development of gifted children.

I'm no expert in research on gifted children - I read this book with pure interest and gained some insight into my own life (not gifted but academically high achieving which seems to share some similar experiences with children labelled as gifted). I very much enjoyed it but I do think it's quite a subjective account so I would suggest reading it bearing that in mind to avoid stereotyping all gifted children based on this account.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4