Profile for Rory Farrell > Reviews

OO Scale Police & security staff
Offered by Gaugemaster

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent models, 7 May 2012
This review is from: OO Scale Police & security staff
Bachmann produce some of the best quality railway models available and these are no exception. In realistic and accurate poses these figures are expertly painted and make a fine addition to any railway set and look fantastic when accompanied with a model police car as well. As the other reviewer points out, Bachmann do not use plastic bases on their models (How this warranted a '1-star rating' I have no idea...) but I see this as a positive. Despite being transparent, plastic bases, like those seen on Hornby models, are always visible and spoil the look of your minatures. Instead, you can either glue (for a permanent fixture) or use small dots of bluetac (for a temporary fixture) to position these figures, which always looks better.

I could not be more pleased and at £7 these are truly worth the money.

Wired--up FireWire Cable 6 Pin to 4 Pin 1.8m IEEE 1394 DV Lead - Black
Wired--up FireWire Cable 6 Pin to 4 Pin 1.8m IEEE 1394 DV Lead - Black
Offered by gamingcrazyuk

5.0 out of 5 stars Cheaper and better than ''top brand'' FireWire Cables., 1 July 2011
In needed a 6pin-4pin lead to connect my JVC Digital Camera to my computer, and so I went out and bought a 'Belkin' FireWire Cable for £15. However, despite the high price; it was awful. It would only work when it wanted to, sometimes working fine and other times the computer wouldn't even pick it up. Sometimes I would even get a connection but it would cut out mid-way through importing. I finally gave up and decided to buy this lead instead. I was worried that it might not be any good considering the cheap price, but did so anyway. This one works fine and is always picked up by the computer. I happily binned by 'Belkin' lead that had caused me nothing but frustration and aggravation and now use this one. I highly recommend it.

Hornby R8696 Skaledale 00 Gauge Police Box
Hornby R8696 Skaledale 00 Gauge Police Box

5.0 out of 5 stars Doctor Who?, 5 Jun. 2011
As an avid fan of Doctor Who this miniture 1950's Police Box was an excellent peice for my Hornby set. Whether you'd prefer it to add to an authentic 50's look to your set or, if you are like me, a fan of Doctor Who and wouldn't mind a Time Lord running about your train station this is certainly a good peice. The accuracy and attention to detail is superb and will certainly add an aspect of Sci-Fi nostalgia to any Hornby set.

Mega Bloks HALO UNSC Mongoose Buildable Playset
Mega Bloks HALO UNSC Mongoose Buildable Playset
Offered by 3D Entertainment

4.0 out of 5 stars A good quality buy., 21 Mar. 2011
This is the first of the Halo sets outside of the battle packs I have bought (so, the first vehicles), and I can say I am not dissapointed. I had heard some negative reviews about this line especially about durability and how they don't hold together and are prone to falling apart, but I had no such trouble. In this set you get 1 UNSC Mongoose, 1 Covenant Turret, 1 Green Spartan figurine with a replica sniper rifle, and 1 Blue Elite figurine with an energy sword. The Mongoose is very good and great to handle, it is very easy to build with straight forward instructions and is also very durable after building. It also rolls well on its wheels and could be handled easily by a child. Not to mention how its a very good replica of the actual vehicle. I don't like the Covenant turret as much, as (because I haven't seen it in the games) I believe it was just fabricated for the Mega Bloks line, and it's annoying that its not a Shade turret like from the games, but nevertheless, its still easy to build and very sturdy after completion. The figurines also look good, and the mini sniper rifle with a little stand attatched to the bottom just looks amazing. Overall, this set is very good and could work well as a starter pack for any new-comer to this line, and if it wasn't for the slightly less impressive Covenant turret it would recieve full marks. Highly recommended.

James Bond: Bloodstone (Nintendo DS)
James Bond: Bloodstone (Nintendo DS)

4.0 out of 5 stars Great DS game., 22 Dec. 2010
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
Bloodstone DS was released along side the new 007 Goldeneye game on the Wii and DS. It is a completely new Bond adventure, the first 007 game not based off of a movie since 'Everything or Nothing' over 4 years ago and it was produced by 'n-space' the same DS production company that created the brilliant Call of Duty DS line. Unlike Goldeneye DS it is a third person shooter, and whilst I don't think it works as well as first person it is still very easy to control and doesn't cause any problems.

The graphics and voice acting in Goldeneye DS was poor, even for DS, I believed that this was due to its production being rushed so it could be released along side its Wii counterpart, and I was worried that this would also apply for Bloodstone. Luckily, it doesn't. The voice acting on behalf of Judi Dench and Daniel Craig is very good and Joss Stone does a good job as the 'Bond girl'. The graphics are also much better than Goldeneye and other DS games, and whilst the cutscenes cannot be skipped, they are very well animated and actually entertaining to watch. In addition, unlike Goldeneye, I didn't actually know what was going to happen in the game, making it much more fun to play; and the style of the game is actually designed to be like a film such a pre-credit sequence and an opening title sequence including the famous gun barrell scene. Bloodstone is also much longer than Goldeneye, and is therefore much more worth the £30 price tag.

Goldeneye also suffered from having very repetitive levels that alternated between stealth missions and 'shoot 'em ups'. Bloodstone has both of these as well as car chase levels, boat chase levels and a very rarely seen yet enjoyable mission of espionage as you must travel around an aquarium finding clues to the position of a allied contact. Despite being quite slow, this level shows another side of secret agent work not often seen in video games.

My advice to anyone with their eyes on these games is to buy Goldeneye for the Wii, and buy Bloodstone for the DS as it is a far, far better game.

Alien Classic Alien 7" Action Figure - Neca
Alien Classic Alien 7" Action Figure - Neca

3.0 out of 5 stars Looks can be decieving..., 30 Aug. 2010
= Durability:1.0 out of 5 stars  = Fun:3.0 out of 5 stars  = Educational:2.0 out of 5 stars
Before I bought this figure I checked the Amazon reviews in which one reviewer had given it '1 star' rating claiming it fell to bits moments after opening the box. I eventually decided that he was simply unlucky and I decided to buy it anyway. At an initial glance from when inside the box the figure looks amazingly detailed and of very good quality, which it is, you counld't ask for a more stunningly good looking figure. But guess what happened after I got him out of the box...Thats right, he fell to bits. Well, not as seriously as the '1 Star reviewer', but his left leg fell of at the knee; having snapped inside the box and later one of the prongs that stick out from his back also fell off. I decided to simply super glue both peices back on, but because of this his left leg is now stuck in place and cannot be moved, limiting posability. Despite this he still looks good because, as I mentioned before, he is a fantastic looking figure (With the cool added feature of an extendable inner jaw). My advice is, if you are looking for an Alien figure that can be activley played with, aviod this one. However if you simply want a fantastic looking display model, and you don't mind glueing him in a certain pose, I would take the chance.

HM Armed Forces - Army Parachutist
HM Armed Forces - Army Parachutist
Offered by Accessory-Shop

4.0 out of 5 stars HM Armed Forces - Army Parachutist, 5 Aug. 2010
This is a very fun and good looking figure. He is only part posable, and can only rotate at the head and waist. The reason behind this is because it is not designed to be a poseble figure and is designed soley for his parachute gimic. He is made entirely of a thick, sturdy rubber/plastic which allows him to withstand the hardest fall with barley any damage. His parachute works very well (once you have mastered the technique) and allows for much entertainment. However, with this in mind, the parachute gimic may wear thin for some people and may tire of it. However, I can find myself out in the garden for hours throwing this figure as high as possible and watching him glide slowly to the ground. His parachute straps can become tangled if thrown wrong but can be easily uncliped and sorted. He is very well painted and detailed and despite not being posable, he still looks very nice standing among my other HM Armed Forces figures. A good buy.

Web-Tex Ripstop Soldier 95 Trousers
Web-Tex Ripstop Soldier 95 Trousers

4.0 out of 5 stars Web - Tex Soldier 95' Trousers, 31 July 2010
Was slightly put off by having to pay a 'standard delivery' charge, however the product was despatched the next day and arrived the day after that. Very good service. The trousers are made of good quality material and though slightly baggy for me it has tightening straps in waist and ankles which help. Web-Tex provide very good quality service and products, would definately recommend.

Transformers Revenge of the Fallen - Voyager Decepticon BLUDGEON
Transformers Revenge of the Fallen - Voyager Decepticon BLUDGEON

5.0 out of 5 stars Transformers ROTF - Voyager Bludgeon, 19 July 2010
I was initially hesitant at buying this Transformer due to the large price tag. I held off from buying it but after scouting around the internet and discovering that this figure or any others featured in the 'NEST' figure line would not be released in the United Kingdom I was very dissapointed (Especially seeing that this character was designed by an Englishman and it first appeared in an UK comc book). I eventually decided to buy him and could not be happier. He is a superb figure and well worthy of the slightly larger price tag. If you too are hesitant, I advise you to buy him before he dissapears forever or becomes even more expensive. Once again, he is a fantastic looking and superbly designed addition to my collection.

USSR Flag 5ft x 3ft (Hammer & Sickle)
USSR Flag 5ft x 3ft (Hammer & Sickle)
Offered by Klicnow

4.0 out of 5 stars USSR Flag Polyester 3ft. x 5ft. - Klincnow, 19 July 2010
After finishing my GCSE's I decided to buy my staunch anti-communist GCSE History teacher a Soviet Flag as a leaving present. Once it arrived (very quickly) I was very pleased; the flag is of good quality, especially for the price featured and it came undamaged. After giving it to my teacher I came back onto Amazon and purchased another one for myself. I recieved the same perfect quality and service again and remain very happy. I highly recommend 'Klincnow' to anyone looking to buy a good quality flag at a cheap price.

Page: 1 | 2