Profile for esb > Reviews

esb

I Am Pilgrim
I Am Pilgrim

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome, 31 July 2014
This review is from: I Am Pilgrim (Kindle Edition)
Straight into my all time top ten with a bullet. Perhaps heading to the number one slot.... It's a long time since I've been so engrossed in a book on my commute that I've almost missed my stop - hurtling at speed out of the tube train door at the last minute with bag, kindle, glasses in hand. Thank you Mr Hayes for a fabulous book. What a read and what a ride. Awesome. I know there is talk of a film but I am sad to say it will never, ever come close to this book in tension/structure/narrative. What to read next is a very tricky question. Follow that!

Short Stories and How to Write Them
Short Stories and How to Write Them

5.0 out of 5 stars A revelation, 6 Nov. 2013
Such a great book - informative, entertaining and an absolute godsend for a wannabe short story writer. I loved the format and Kathleen's sample stories are brilliant. Thank you for sharing your skills and unravelling a few knotty problems. I feel inspired and empowered. Nice one. x

Forgive Me
Forgive Me

2.0 out of 5 stars Bit of a disappointment, 3 Oct. 2013
This review is from: Forgive Me (Kindle Edition)
Well it wasn't that it was bad, it was just a bit dull character-wise. All very predictable and rehearsed. The catalogue of disasters I found a little crude and let's find another word for the young people to use to express their delight at something other than 'marvellous'. I wanted to shake them all at some point to elicit a bit of attitude. The last section was over-sugared, gloopy and tension-free.

Backlash (Anna Travis series Book 8)
Backlash (Anna Travis series Book 8)

2.0 out of 5 stars Hmmm,,,, 28 Sept. 2013
This is the first La Plante I've read and I have to say I was a bit disappointed. The plot was good and the structure was ok but the writing of the narrative was very lame, so dreary that it gave me hope for my own writing attempts! Maybe I'm not so bad after all... I am surprised given some of the other reviews on this site and La Plante's prolific output. The reading process was therefore very tiresome as I actually engaged in the story but getting through the words to discover the plot was a real chore. I expect the story might translate quite well to the small screen with a good screenplay. Lazy, plodding, dull writing.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 29, 2013 9:54 AM BST

Pick A Number
Pick A Number

5.0 out of 5 stars A mighty debut novel, 2 Jun. 2012
This review is from: Pick A Number (Kindle Edition)
A mighty debut from Tony Redston. A clever opening juxtaposition of an idyllic Andalucian life with tantalisingly random future-dated action scenes pulls the reader in. How the hell are we going to get from one to the other? And therein lies the story, - a complex, intelligent slow-burner which informs, entertains and, quite frankly, will scare the pants off you. This is not for the faint-hearted. Redston takes us on a thrilling journey filled with terror, tears and humour with a breathless, page-turning conclusion. It could happen to any one of us given the same initial good fortune and that's the thing that is so very terrifying. Alex is one of us at the start but at every turn he develops into a hero more earthy than Bond, more cerebral than Jack Reacher introducing us to blood-chilling possibilities which we daren't even contemplate.
They say everyone has one book in them but let's hope Tony Redston has many more than that.