Profile for E. Barrett > Reviews

Gamewright Forbidden Island Game
Gamewright Forbidden Island Game
Offered by GamesQuest
Price: 12.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant game for whole family! Absolutely Five Star!, 8 July 2012
We have had the best fun with this game. We played it four times within the first 24 hours! We bought it for our 9-year-old but have played it as a family also with our 6-year-old. It's pretty easy to understand so you can get going quickly. It is a cooperative game where you are all on the same team, so there are no tears about someone losing, but at the same time it has an urgency and excitement to it so it is completely engaging. Plus it is a relatively quick game - takes about 40 minutes I would say on average - so again it doesn't dominate the whole day (or at least doesn't have to..!) but can be fitted in between other things. Our two boys now play it on their own sometimes not needing adults - another big plus. I also love the fact that it is in a tin to save all those battered boxes that end up falling apart. The pieces are all nicely made. And hey you are even learning something about climate change! Fantastic game. Couldn't recommend it more highly.

Monkey Puzzle
Monkey Puzzle
by Julia Donaldson
Price: 3.85

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant book that is captivating for toddlers., 15 Jun 2009
This review is from: Monkey Puzzle (Paperback)
Both of our boys have loved this book. The story is very neat - simple but with a clever little twist that always elicits a giggle. As always brilliant pictures and verse. I could probably recite this off the top of my head, but still I don't groan when they choose this one..

Your Baby & Child
Your Baby & Child
by Penelope Leach

5.0 out of 5 stars If you buy one childcare book, let it be this one!, 12 Oct 2006
This review is from: Your Baby & Child (Paperback)
I adore this book. A friend bought it for me when I was expecting our first son. I remember being a bit daunted by the fact that there were 80 pages about breastfeeding and thinking, how can it possibly be that difficult. But of course by the time our son was a month old I'd probably read those 80 pages avidly, word for word. This has been our experience so many times with this book. Throughout so many different stages, it offers a really good overview of different ways of handling the 'challenges' of raising kids. But the best thing is that she helps you to make your own decisions. Penelope Leach clearly does have her own opinion about the best way of doing things, but she doesn't force it on you - which is a pretty rare thing when it comes to child-raising. The book is thus both a really good friend and an insight into how your child sees things. It's also a fun read, because you can get excited about all the fun stages you have to look forward to as your child grows up. We are now on baby number two and I have re-read some early parts of the book just as avidly as I did the first time, while still using the later parts of the book for our older son, since it covers children up to age five.