Profile for B. M. Igoe > Reviews

Content by B. M. Igoe

B. M. Igoe "BB" (Hereford UK)

Risk (The Dick Francis library)
Risk (The Dick Francis library)
Price: 2.48

5.0 out of 5 stars Risk by Dick Francis, 2 May 2014
I've always been a fan of Mr. Francis, and this one, dating back to 1977, is in my view one of his best, if not the best. They were all always well researched, and unlike some he very seldom wrote more than one book a year, giving plenty of time to do the job properly. One or two of his novels appear to me to be almost autobiographical, especially those concerning marriage when he drew on his happy family life with his darling wife Mary and their two sons. Read it!

Granuaile: Grace O'Malley: Grace O'Malley - Ireland's Pirate Queen
Granuaile: Grace O'Malley: Grace O'Malley - Ireland's Pirate Queen
Price: 4.94

4.0 out of 5 stars Granuaile - brief comment, 16 Feb 2013
It is a very scholarly and well researched work - as one would expect from this well qualified author. The only "nit" I would pick (if I may use an English colloquialism) is the use throughout of the Irish forms of names, which might detract from readability by readers who are unfamiliar with them. And there are plenty of those, notably in the USA. Daniel O'Connell, a great Irish patriot for whom Irish was his first language, said something to the effect that the purpose of language is to communicate, and I am old enough to agree with him! (“although the Irish language is connected with many recollections that twine round the hearts of Irishmen, yet the superior utility of the English tongue,as the medium of all modern communication, is so great that I can witness without a sigh the gradual disuse of Irish.”)

I appreciate the fact that this is a minority view today - but I left Ireland in 1975 when life was different. Maybe I should put a half of that fifth star back! When I left Ireland I doubt if many had even heard of Granuaile, and today she is even on school curricula, largely due to Ms Chambers wonderful work.