Profile for Evil Scot > Reviews

Digital Audio Coax SPDIF Phono RCA to Optical TOS Converter Adapter
Offered by Cable Guy Direct
Price: 10.49

5.0 out of 5 stars Totally unaware that it is there, 23 Oct 2013
I have read many reviews of optical splitter woes, so given that I have an RCA output on my Sonos chose to use this instead. I have never looked back. Well except when the sound card in my PC upmixes into 5.1 and I find myself asking "Did that really come from there?"
Not sure if it inline with the direct connection to my amp or via my PC but I cant tell any difference and to be honest I dont care. To coin a phrase "It just works"

CREATIVE Sound Blaster Recon3D PCI-E Sound Card
CREATIVE Sound Blaster Recon3D PCI-E Sound Card
Offered by 3B-IT Ltd
Price: 55.55

5.0 out of 5 stars war of the worlds never sounded better., 16 Oct 2013
My choice for this card was that it had a digital input as well as a being able to output in 5.1 digitally to an old home cinema amp.
what I hadn't expected was the expansive soundfield when playing an MP3 on my SONOS Connect. Sitting close to the screen the gravity of Richard Burtons voice heralding the arrival if the martians through the centre speaker was something I hadn't expected. Listening to any music in 5.1 is amazing. The integration of my speaker in 5.1 mode is far better than in stereo such that Instruments appear to located noth just between the stereo pair but beyond the speakers.

Premier Retro Front Bike Light With 3 LEDS - From ROADUSER DIRECT
Premier Retro Front Bike Light With 3 LEDS - From ROADUSER DIRECT
Offered by Roaduserdirect
Price: 11.99

5.0 out of 5 stars A battery powered light that looks like a dynamo light, 1 Sep 2013
Finding the right light for my recumbent has been a nightmare. Everybody sells handle bar mounted lights. And since I sit over the handle bars, I wouldn't get any light from those. This however would bolt onto the lug between my pedals.
After hearing the news of postal strikes I was worried that It wouldn't arrive for the cycle powered cinema. It did. So fair play to all parties envolved.

The body of the light is plastic, but has been mistaken for chrome. The LEDs are quite a bright white and like most LED bike lights can flash or run steady. With this and a carrier mounted light I shall not fear the nights drawing in.

Kindle Fire HD 7", Dolby Audio, Dual-Band Wi-Fi, 16 GB  [Previous Generation]
Kindle Fire HD 7", Dolby Audio, Dual-Band Wi-Fi, 16 GB [Previous Generation]

4.0 out of 5 stars Better than my iPad. But..., 1 Aug 2013
The carousel is probably one of the best "Home Screens" I have ever used, organising apps books and videos in order of last used. The way the store integrates into the device is seamless. However my bigest criticism is the unfettered access to my bank account.
Apple ask for a password for purchases despite the balance being paid by scratch card. But this device purchases are delivered without any form or challenges.

You are tied into the Amazon ecosystem, however I was a Love film customer before purchasing the device.

If amazon add a PIN purchase protection feature, I would give this 5 stars.

Marware Vibe Case with Stand for Kindle Fire HD 7", Purple (will only fit Kindle Fire HD 7" [Previous Generation])

5.0 out of 5 stars Smart in a number of ways., 15 July 2013
A very atractive case. (#1) Not only does the textured finish look smarter it adds extra grip when carrying.(#2). That and the magnetic cover is a blesing when the devices power button is hidden(#3).

Death of a Dentist (Hamish Macbeth)
Death of a Dentist (Hamish Macbeth)
Price: 4.65

5.0 out of 5 stars Sweet Scottish humour, 14 July 2013
A typical Hamish book. Much like the BBC adaptation. I am enjoying listening to the kindle fire's text to speech attempt the Scottish words.

BBC iPlayer
BBC iPlayer
Price: 0.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Incomplete package needs another app to work, 6 July 2013
This review is from: BBC iPlayer (App)
This is verry much the same BBC iPlayer as you might see on most other platforms, however to watch anything you are required to downoad the BBC player application/plugin. This enables you to watch BBC content such as news in the browser but would have been nice if this was part of the same dowload. Of course I am nit picking and it may be an android specific quirk.

OBi110-UK Voice Service Bridge & Telephone Adaptor - No PC Required
OBi110-UK Voice Service Bridge & Telephone Adaptor - No PC Required
Offered by Obihai Technology UK
Price: 60.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Shh don't tell the Dr., 6 April 2013
I bought this as I have my mother moving in with me whilst her new flat is being finished. It means that she can keep her number whilst being out of the area code. Hospitals Dentists et al therefore believe she is in their catchment area.

Setup was testing, but my itsp were helpfull and with a little router programming we got it to work.

Call quality is good.

One bad point was the power brick. DOA. However Mum's old netgear router stepped up and donated its PSU.

There are some quirks with VOIP on this device. Outgoing calls are preceeded with an american ring signal before connecting to the national network through its line port .

Three tip I would offer.
1: set it to a fixed IP address on your network.
2: set up port forwarding on your router ( Google is your friend here)
3: use a third party DNS server such as open dns. (Avoid DNS poisoning from your phone / internert service provider.

Doro PhoneEasy 615 GSM Sim Free Mobile Phone - Black
Doro PhoneEasy 615 GSM Sim Free Mobile Phone - Black

5.0 out of 5 stars The first phone I haven't set up for my mother, 13 Mar 2012
Like most people I bought this for my parents, or rather my mum bought it for herself using my Amazon acount.

So really I am not the person to review this. In fact I haven't had much hands-on time with this phone (Mum denied me the fun I get from playing with new tech toys by setting it up herself).

One thing that was confusing between this and other sellers was the availability of the charging cradle. The phone was supplied with USB power brick, USB cable and charging cradle. In fact the only thing I had to do when I visited my mother was to plug the USB cable into her digital video recorder. This was to fix the one small fault with the phone, if the battery goes flat the clock stops. Since the DVR is always on so all she has to do is to drop the phone into its charging stand without worrying about leaving the charger switched on and wasting power when she isnt using it.

She is now nagging me to teach her how to text. However I bought a Blackberry because I cant text to save my life. (If my niece is reading this, you have a job to do at Nanny's)

Plus points
The package comes with charging station as standard
Good clear menus(Mum got started without me).
Stores important medical details.

Negatives
No secondary battery backup on the clock.
Given the sales pitch my mother is doing for this phone there may be limited supply of handsets.

SINGLE DIMMER MOVEMENT SENSOR LIGHT SWITCH DIGITAL ONE WAY NEW
SINGLE DIMMER MOVEMENT SENSOR LIGHT SWITCH DIGITAL ONE WAY NEW
Offered by Chalon
Price: 27.60

5.0 out of 5 stars A well thought out package, 6 Jun 2011
As any one who has replaced a light switch will know, the most annoying problem you are likely to encounter is that the back box is too shallow. So it came as a great relief to find that it came supplied with a spacing collar and a surprise that a nine volt battery was provided.

As others have commented it can be fiddly to set up however a good starting point would be to have the arrows pointing outwards to the nine and three positions of the clock.
Ironically, considering that it was bought because i left lights on, the problem I now have is remembering not to turn the lights off.

Page: 1 | 2