Profile for Crackdown > Reviews

Content by Crackdown

Crackdown (Knighton, United Kingdom)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-16
Superior quality Varnished Wood Back Scratcher and 3 Wheel Massager
Superior quality Varnished Wood Back Scratcher and 3 Wheel Massager
Offered by Amazing Health

5.0 out of 5 stars Does what it's meant to do, 25 Jan. 2015
A fairly basic product, but when it comes to scratching my back it does what it is advertised to do. Because I have issuses these days with reach, this has been a godsend as now I don't get driven mad by an itch I can't reach. I haven't tried using the other part (the rollers) because I have no interest in that, but they don't get in the way of the scratcher at all.

CONTOUR MEMORY FOAM LEG PILLOW ORTHOPAEDIC FIRM BACK HIPS & KNEE SUPPORT + COVER
Offered by Saving world

3.0 out of 5 stars Far too hard for my knee, but okay for my ankle., 25 Jan. 2015
Not quite what I was hoping for. I bought this because of arthritis in my knee. Even though it's memory foam, it's pretty hard, and because of its size and shape you've got no real room to move it around to get comfortable. However, all wasn't lost for me as I found it worked quite well on my bad ankle.

So I'm returning to my trusty old pillow for my knee, and I'll use this to support my ankle.

Bones Never Lie: (Temperance Brennan 17)
Bones Never Lie: (Temperance Brennan 17)

5.0 out of 5 stars Another great Kathy Reichs story., 18 Nov. 2014
Monday Mourning was the first Kathy Reichs book I ever read. Since then I think I have covered the entire 'Bones' library. I was thrilled to see this was a sequel to Monday Mourning, and I wasn't disappointed. This was the usual great Kathy Reichs fare. I can't really add anything further without giving away spoilers, so I'm going to keep this short and sweet.

BBC Weather
BBC Weather

5.0 out of 5 stars No surprises., 18 Nov. 2014
This review is from: BBC Weather (App)
It's the BBC weather app, so there are no surprises on what you get.

Mahjong Deluxe HD Free
Mahjong Deluxe HD Free

5.0 out of 5 stars A nice fun app., 18 Nov. 2014
This review is from: Mahjong Deluxe HD Free (App)
I love this app. Keeps me entertained. Easy to follow. You can play the same game over and over again if you prefer, or you can play harder versions as you go.

Lots of opportunities considering it's a free app.

Twitter
Twitter

5.0 out of 5 stars No surprises., 18 Nov. 2014
This review is from: Twitter (App)
No surprises here, generally as expected for a Twitter app.

Everlast Power Tower Inflatable Punch Bag
Everlast Power Tower Inflatable Punch Bag

5.0 out of 5 stars Good for part time use, especially if you lack space., 18 Nov. 2014
Bought for my Godson, and so far it's been perfect for his needs. Easy enough to set up, but also easy to store when not in use. Like many of these things the pump that came with the bag was fairly hopeless. However using a converter on a proper 12v pump it blows up easily and safely enough.

If you haven't got room for a proper hanging or freestanding bag then this can be a good compromise.

Delivered as promised.

Music of the Soul 7, 8, & 9 Bundle
Music of the Soul 7, 8, & 9 Bundle

4.0 out of 5 stars Editing lets it down, which is a shame., 18 Nov. 2014
I enjoyed 'Music of the Soul' - a lot! And on the strength of that I decided to buy the rest (so far) as bundles.

Overall the stories were what I was hoping for, light, funny takes on life but with a deeper aspect and outlook. However, they all have issues and problems.

I'll start with the last story, 'Progeny'. This one has the most problems in my option, mainly due to similar issues that I had with 'Karaoke Queen'.

I don't know where the author is from, but as I'm from the UK I'm going to hazard a guess the author is not from here. Mainly that is due to the use of a couple of things. The big one that sits wrong for me is the referral by Samantha to using the bathroom as using 'the cottage'. Now admittiedly I'm not from London, but over the years I've had many friends and family live there, I still have good friends living there. Indeed my parents worked in London for a number of years, and never have I heard the term 'the cottage' used for the bathroom outside of derogatory remarks used to describe two gay men meeting up in a bathroom for sex. That's problem number one, and really it's a big problem as far as I'm concerned. Now, being the old fogey that I am, I might be out of touch with that terms use these days, but I don't think that is the case.

The other problem I had is a much more minor issue, I wasn't sure about Samantha (and Skylar) using slang in pretty much every sentence. Whenever I've been talking to people in London yes it can get used, but not quite to that degree, and so its use seemed clichéd.

Other than that the main problem seems to be that the editing on all the books needs tightening up quite a bit. Throughout the series (not just this bundle) there are a few errors involved, mainly mis-use of words. Off the top of my head, one mistake was lead instead of led, there was a lower case i at one point instead of an upper case I, sentences ended with a comma, not a full-stop (a full-stop is called a period I believe in other countries) but the next sentence started with a capital letter. A number of times the words 'then' and 'now' got used more than once in a sentence. I'm not a professional proof reader/editor, but if I'm picking them up then the errors are pretty constant. Now I got the feeling that all of these things were not deliberate use of words etc by the author, but were genuine mistakes that had crept through the editing process. I think these books are self published, I've noticed editing can be a problem with self published works, and because I believe they are genuine errors I haven't marked the stories any lower star wise. Plus there are far worse edited stories out there that charge almost twice as much as these books, now those really are a rip off, which these aren't.

Outside of that, the other problem I had is that there are times when the endings just feel a bit cut off and rushed, as if you're not really getting a full conclusion to the story. Okay, so you might get updates on couples in future stories, but unless you read those the whole ending can feel a bit weak.

It's not all doom and gloom by any stretch of the imagination, as stories go these are not as long as some. The good thing is that is reflected in the price you pay. And as I've already said, the storylines themselves are good-feel stories with an overall positive message. Plus they're not bogged down by unnecessary erotic additions. So often a good story ends up getting filled out with needless erotica, fine if that's part of the story, it has its place but often it seems to be added just for the sake of it, and ends up superfluous to the main storyline. And in case you hadn't gathered I personally hate it when that happens.

I also enjoyed the interactions between the older and younger people within the stories. In some ways it reminds me of the way my family reacts to each other. From the eldest at 90 years old, to the youngest at 9 months old, we all have a laugh, often at and with each other, but help one another when times are tough. I see that love, fun and respect we have for each other reflected in all the stories.

So in summary; these stories are certainly worth a read if you don't mind the problems I've outlined. I've not been put off reading future stories yet, so that indicates that despite the issues, these manuscripts are still miles better than some of the drivel out there. And I will quite happily continue to buy further works by Erik Schubach.

Music of the Soul 4, 5, & 6 Bundle
Music of the Soul 4, 5, & 6 Bundle

3.0 out of 5 stars Good stories, but the editing really needs to be tightened., 18 Nov. 2014

I'll start with the first story, 'Karaoke Queen'. This one has the most problems in my option. And it's those issues that caused me to mark this bundle down from four stars to three.

I don't know where the author is from, but as I'm from the UK I'm going to hazard a guess the author is not from here. Mainly that is due to the use of a couple of expressions. The big one that sits wrong for me is the constant referral by Skylar to using the bathroom as using 'the cottage'. Now admittiedly I'm not from London, but over the years I've had many friends and family live there, I still have good friends living there. Indeed my parents worked in London for a number of years, and never have I heard the term 'the cottage' used for the bathroom outside of derogatory remarks used to describe two gay men meeting up in a bathroom for sex. That's problem number one, and really it's a big problem as far as I'm concerned. Now, being the old fogey that I am, I might be out of touch with that terms use these days, but I don't think that is the case. More common terms would be 'using the bog', or 'using the lav'.

Problem number two was the word 'drug' was used instead of dragged a couple of times - again by Skylar. Once more, the only time I have known the word 'drug' used instead of dragged in the UK is in jest. An example would be, 'I was drug up proper!' There was another minor issue, I wasn't sure about Skylar using London slang in pretty much every sentence. Whenever I've been talking to people in London yes it can get used, but not quite to that degree, and so its use seemed clichéd.

Other than that the main problem seems to be that the editing on all the books needs tightening up quite a bit. Throughout the series (not just this bundle) there are a few errors involved, mainly mis-use of words. Off the top of my head, one mistake was lead instead of led, there was a lower case i at one point instead of an upper case I. Some sentences ended with a comma, not a full-stop (a full-stop is called a period I believe in other countries) but the next sentence still started with a capital letter. A number of times the words 'then' and 'now' got used more than once in a sentence. I'm not a professional proof reader/editor, but if I'm picking them up then the errors are pretty constant. I got the feeling that all of them were not deliberate errors by the author, but were genuine mistakes that had crept through the editing process. I think these books are self published, and editing can be a problem with self published works. For that reason I haven't marked the stories any lower star wise. Plus there are far worse edited stories out there that charge almost twice as much as these books. Now those books really are a rip off, which these certainly aren't.

Encore Cat Tin Tuna and Shrimp 70 g (Pack of 18)
Encore Cat Tin Tuna and Shrimp 70 g (Pack of 18)

5.0 out of 5 stars Received as promised, 11 Nov. 2014
Bought for local cat rescue through their Amazon page. Received as promised.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-16