Profile for Craig R. Hodge > Reviews

Content by Craig R. Hodge

Craig R. Hodge "horrible_hodge" (Penicuik Scotland)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Morphy Richards 45081 Deep Fat Fryer 2 Litres Brushed Stainless Steel
Morphy Richards 45081 Deep Fat Fryer 2 Litres Brushed Stainless Steel
Offered by AP Motor Store

5.0 out of 5 stars An electric Chip Pan :-), 5 Oct 2014
I've had the fully enclosed deep fat fryers, which are expensive & awkward to clean. This little beauty is simple in design & easy to clean. Yes you will get a smell of frying in your kitchen. BUT this reminds me of my childhood when the chip pan was brought out & we had real home made chips. Basically it's an electric chip pan.

If you don't like the smell of hot fat then avoid. It you want simple easy to clean electric chip pan, this is the baby!

Get your self a Potato Chipper (saves time chopping & you'll get even size chips which will cook better), 6 - 8 mins at 130 degrees. Take them out & place on kitchen paper (still pale in colour but cooked) put the thermostat up to 180 - 190 & then re-fry till golden (4 - 5 mins). Best chips you'll ever taste.

No Title Available

2.0 out of 5 stars if you like cold fingers, then these are the gloves for you, 2 Dec 2012
I have to say I bought these gloves thinking because they are wind & waterproof they'll keep my hand warm. Nope, I'm afraid quite the opposite in fact. Because they are a very close fitting glove around the fingers you have little or no air circulation around your fingers. You need air to circulate round your fingers, because your body temperature will then heat up the air and keep your fingers warm.

On the plus side they have great grip, and are wind proof. The waterproof issues I can't really comment on. My fingers were so cold I didn't know if they were damp or just freezing.
Before anyone comments, I did buy a larger size than normal. But they are still a very close fitting around the fingers. But as another reviewer said the palm is rather larger than the fingers. So they are a bit of a strange fit.

I really don't think they warrant the high price tag.

Sony BDVE880.CEK 3D Blu-Ray Disc/DVD 5.1ch Home Cinema BRAVIA Internet Video (discontinued by manufacturer)

3.0 out of 5 stars Slightly flawed but....., 15 Aug 2012
I'm afraid I'm going to be slightly more controversial to most of the reviews on this product. Not out of spite, or indeed to stand out. But to point out a few minor flaws which spoil the overall enjoyment of this product.

Set up wasn't quite as straight forward as everyone says. Yes the colour coding for wiring up is excellent & a doddle. I have a Sony Bravia 46", so I thought the set up would be intuitive. Mmmm no, I'm afraid not. It took me a good 15 mins to work out what the rather sparsely worded instructions actually meant. I the had to hunt on my TV menu to find something that roughly corresponded to the Home system instructions. After that it set up exactly like everyone else has said. So I was slightly disappointed at that, NOT the Home Systems fault. But Sony's for not making it recognise one of its own products & synchronise seamlessly. Possibly a software upgrade would fix this?

You don't actually get a great control over the sound volume increments. They jump up by either 3 or 4 decibels. Which might seem like a very minor moan. But some films sound can be louder or quieter than others. And it can be quite hard getting a sound setting that suits. With the sub woofer pointing downwards, it's not a system to buy if you live in a flat & have neighbours below you. I understand the concept of having it like this. But ........
The touch sensitive buttons are actually next to useless. Sometimes they work, sometimes they don't.

Again the integration between Sony products in the past has been excellent. Mmmm this system has a little to be desired. I'm afraid as many have pointed out if you stop a DVD/Blu-Ray for any reason. It doesn't restart from where you finished. Also I'm afraid on my new TV it doesn't automatically switch channels to Home Cinema. I have to manually switch, my old Sony Blu-Ray & indeed my LG recorder automatically change the channel to the appropriate DVD/Blu-Ray.

Sound quality is pretty good. DVD / Blu-Ray quality again is very good. Even the 3D quality is very, very good. A lot of people have commented on the low price. However it's you are still paying good money for an ever so slightly flawed product.
Would I recommend it? Well if you're willing to put up with the very minor faults. And they are minor, I'll not lie about that. Then it's a nice system, however I'd maybe look at some of the other Sony systems as well.

Sony KDL46EX723BU 46-inch Widescreen Full HD 1080p 3D 100Hz Edge LED Internet TV with Freeview HD (discontinued by manufacturer)
Offered by DavinaJayne

4.0 out of 5 stars Lovely TV, 12 July 2012
This is my second Sony TV in two years. NOT because the first one was faulty or anything. Only because, I personally wanted to upgrade to a larger model with 3D capabilities.

First of all I bought the TV direct from Amazon. As an Amazon Prime customer I received the TV the next day after ordering, so extemporary service as always.

The picture quality is very good, however not as adjustable as my previous model (only two years old). It does take a lot more fiddling to get a picture you like. To be honest I'm not 100% happy yet with the adjustment, but it's not too far off being perfect for my own personal tastes. The HD viewing quality is outstanding. I have SKY HD and it's a great marriage. However with ordinary SKY + it did appear slightly more pixelated at times, on certain channels. Paired up with a Sony Home Cinema System the DVD/Blu Ray quality, as a lot of people have commented, is very good. I've noticed a few people saying the 3D capabilities aren't that great. Personally I've not found that, but being a 3D virgin I'm still at the WOW stage.

Pros -
* Great viewing size for Blu-Rays / films etc.
* Sony good looks & build quality
* Easy set up
* Easy interactivity with other Sony products (DVD/Blu-Ray/Home Cinema etc)

Cons
* Sony has changed the menus on these newer models. So it's much harder to find things. Not as intuitive as previous models menus.
* Sound quality not as good as earlier models. I find myself having to turn it up more to actually hear some channels. Never had that problem before. However through a Home Cinema System it's fantastic.
* Picture Settings not as easy to adjust as earlier models. The pre-setting's are either too washed out or on vivid settings bleed colour. So you have to use the custom menu & it's not as adjustable as previous models.
* You have to buy all the extras to get the full working capabilities of the TV. i.e. 3D glasses, Network Adapters, HDMI cables.

It should be pointed out that the Cons can all be fixed reasonably easily. But there again you really shouldn't have to in this day & age.

Overall though it's a nice TV & I'm still glad I bought it. I would have given it 5 stars but for the little niggles I pointed out in the Cons.

Hotpoint fridge freezer, frost free, 54.5cm, reversible doors, white, FFA52P
Hotpoint fridge freezer, frost free, 54.5cm, reversible doors, white, FFA52P

1.0 out of 5 stars DO NOT BUY THERE IS A KNOWN FAULT, 29 Feb 2012
My fridge freezer has worked fine for nearly two years. Then it developed a fault. The fridge stopped cooling and the freezer compartment started building up ice. Strange for a supposed frost free freezer. So I checked the forums.

Turns out there is a known design fault with this Fridge Freezer. To which Hotpoint deny all knowledge of it. The freezer cooler unit ices up & you have to take the back inside freezer compartment off & defrost the whole unit. It turns out you have to do this nearly ever six weeks or so once the fault develops. Hotpoint will not take any responsibility for the fault or replace the unit. I'm personally going to call them & find out if this is true. If so I'll be calling Trading Standards to see where I stand. I'll let you know.

So I would avoid this product

Homer Rotating Eyes Wall Clock
Homer Rotating Eyes Wall Clock

1.0 out of 5 stars Amusing? Yes Works well? No, 15 Feb 2012
Unwrapped it Christmas morning, placed fresh new batteries in it, worked for 30 seconds then stopped. Took it home (I was away for Christmas) with the intention of sending it back. It started to work in my suitcase! So I decided to keep it.

Very, very noisy clock and a very, very bad timekeeper. I noticed the timekeeping issue way too late to return it. The hands constantly stick. So it's not just minutes out, its hours out.

I'd personally say avoid it. It looks good, but it has all the reliability of the real thing ha ha ha ha
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 23, 2012 12:23 AM BST

Melissa & Doug Classic abc 123 Building Block Cart
Melissa & Doug Classic abc 123 Building Block Cart

5.0 out of 5 stars Nostalgia at it's best, 25 Jan 2012
These blocks are a lovely reminder of my past. I bought them for a photo shoot and I'm so pleased with them. Everyone seems to be going on about the size of them. They measure 3 cm X 3cm X 3cm, okay yes they are smaller than the original 60's blocks. But they're a good quality product. They're very tactile, and lovely to look at. Much better than the plastic Early Learning Centre equivalent.

I'm sure any small child would love to play with them. However NOT my set ha ha ha ha

Rock & Chips - The Complete Collection [DVD]
Rock & Chips - The Complete Collection [DVD]
Dvd ~ Nicholas Lyndhurst

5.0 out of 5 stars it all falls into place, 12 Jun 2011
Being a big Only Fools & Horses fan I'm going to admit I was a little worried when I heard Rock & Chips was going to be made. I need not have worried, John Sullivan has written yet another brilliant 3 programmes. Sadly John died before anymore could be made. However he has left us with a fantastic three programmes.
It's all based around the early life of Del Trotter & his family & friends. In Only Fool it was always hinted that Rodney had a different father to Del. But it was never really outright stated so, just implied rather strongly. Well in Rock & Chips we see Nicolas Lyndhurst playing "Freddie the Frog" Rodney's real dad! And he plays a blinder as a tough but culturally elite criminal just out of jail. It tells how he "befriends" Del & Rodney's mum Joan. Just how the family move into "Walter Raleigh" House.

The main characters are acted brilliantly Phil Daniels as Grandad, KellieBright as Joan Trotter & James Buckley as Delboy. Great casting especially Nicolas Lyndhurst playing his own dad. A totally different character to Rodney a hard street wise criminal. Joan Trotter is quite clearly bored of her husband Reg Trotter a lazy good for nothing. So when Freddy the Frog comes on the scene Joan takes up with him. HOWEVER John Sullivan has not written Joan as a tarty goodtime girl. She's an attractive young mother stuck with a waster. Who when Freddie comes along sees a way out of her dull life. The meeting of her & Freddie is brilliantly written.

Genuinely very funny, & as a previous reviewer has said. It's not Only Fools & Horses & shouldn't be judged as such. It's a great comedy & a prequel to one of the UK's finest comedy shows. Enjoy it for what it is, an extremely funny great show
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 29, 2013 10:08 PM BST

Taggart Collection [DVD](42 discs)
Taggart Collection [DVD](42 discs)
Dvd ~ Blythe Duff

4.0 out of 5 stars Not entirely complete, 12 Jun 2011
I have to reiterate every other reviewer's remarks on the title of the DVD Box Set. It is not the complete collection as advertised. There's actually an awful lot missing, as of June 2011 there are 109 programmes & this box set contains 42 of them. The Box set sort of covers Series 1 to Series 18. But it should also it should be noted that the disks are not in strict chronological order either. To complete the box set proper you'll need the following;

Knife Edge - Series 2
Dead man's Chest - Series 13
A Few bad Men - Series 15
Long Time Dead - Series 15
Bloodlines - Series 16

Classic Taggart Vol 1 to 4 covers the above, but they are becoming progressively harder to obtain. Hence the full list of missing programmes.

So as you can see you're going to need a further 14 DVD's to complete the first 18 Series. Hardly as described a "Complete Collection" Having said all that it's still a great box set & pretty good value for the money. As each programme is an individual standalone crime drama on its own. However if you are a fan wanting to collect the complete set, it's a little bit of a let-down missing so many of the Classic episodes. Check out the fan club for details on the missing DVD's. as an earlier reviewer said you can buy the missing volumes.

So after all that what is Taggart? Taggart was originally based on Mark McManus who plays Detective Chief Inspector Jim Taggart. A gritty cop drama centred on solving gruesome "Murders" in Glasgow. Jim was a tough policeman with a wheelchair bound wife who is totally dedicated to his job. In real life Mark McManus died in 1994 but the series continued & kept the name. His assistant Mike Jardine was promoted to DCI & the series continued to provide gripping dramas.

Taggart is one of those rare TV Drama's that constantly turns out fine, if sometimes, rather gruesome "Murders". Great characters, great writing & especially good as it's based in Scotland & the accents are Anglicised to appeal to a set audience. Yet it is still loved worldwide for it's plots and at times graphic realism. A must collection for fans. Expensive? Yes, but with 42 programmes & over 83 hours of viewing its still great watching.

Burke And Hare [DVD]
Burke And Hare [DVD]
Dvd ~ Derren Nesbitt

3.0 out of 5 stars Terrible Accents & opening song but not too bad a movie, 9 July 2010
This review is from: Burke And Hare [DVD] (DVD)
With opening music from Liverpool's finest "The Scaffold" my heart sunk. The music doesn't fit in with the film at all. Sounds like the Liverpudlian characters from Harry Enfield's show singing the opening song Burchhh & Air, Burchhh & Air.

It's all well-acted but very much a B movie. There's a total cacophony of accents, I never realised 19th Century Edinburgh was so English. Or that William Hare had changed his nationality to English & his name to Tom. I was under the impression Burke & Hare were both Irishmen & both called William. First but biggest mistake.

It's definitely not historically accurate, far too sanitised. From a real Scotsman's point of view the accents are atrocious, BUT as a B Movie it's not too bad. There's the usual 70's titillation in the form of Francoise Pascal & Yutte Stensgaard topless in a few scenes. 19th Century Edinburgh is a touch too clean as it was known as Auld Reekie at this time. Don't expect an Oscar winning film think more a poor man's Hammer Horror & you won't go too far wrong. All in all it' not a bad film, just let down by the bad accents. Quite enjoyable for it genre
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 26, 2012 3:31 PM BST