Profile for GhostMuppet > Reviews

Content by GhostMuppet

GhostMuppet "Internet Application developer who also enjoys good quality SciFi/Fantasy, board games and future Taekwondo black belt." (Stratford-Upon-Avon, United Kingdom)

Leviathan Wakes: Book One of the Expanse series
Leviathan Wakes: Book One of the Expanse series

5.0 out of 5 stars that sounds a great read. I bought this as an ebook ages ..., 23 July 2014
A story told from two perspectives of an incident that could see the end of the human race. Yeah, that sounds a great read.

I bought this as an ebook ages ago when it was on a offer at Amazon.co.uk for 99p. It took a while to reach, not because i had a massive backlog, but because i was listening to lots of audiobooks. The book club i am in had read the latest volumes of the series and got great reviews - and these are people whose opinions i respect. So there was no stopping me from reading it.

And was i glad i did. Not just because the story is interesting and kept me on edge, but because the characters were fleshed out. The story is from 2 perspectives - Miller, a detective and Holden, a freighters XO. Both characters have their flaws, some serious some not so. They remind me of real people i know (all be it, not in space). I made a quick connection to not only them, but also the support characters. The support characters fleshed out the whole book, giving it a lived in appeal. I really enjoyed the ship scenes. I know this has been said many time before, it did give an impression of Firefly - not a bad thing in my opinion.

The writing was excellent. There was little in the way of annoying filler. The filler chapters gave a sense of family, how the characters were reacting to something. The action scenes were brief, but detailed. It came across to me as a lean story.

I am eager to get the rest of the series when time and money permits, as well as all the short stories. This is a series i will keep an eye on (especially as there will be a TV series produced as well).

I can not recommend this book enough.

The Girl of Hrusch Avenue: A Powder Mage Short Story
The Girl of Hrusch Avenue: A Powder Mage Short Story

4.0 out of 5 stars This is a brilliant short story, 23 July 2014
I have not read anything by Brian McClellan before this, but i have heard of the Powder Mage series.

This is a brilliant short story, that managed to set the scene of the world with a character that you attached to. It really reminded me of the Sharpe novels.

My only complaint was the lack of a 'Powder Mage'. But this only drives me to start reading his novels.

Forsworn: A Powder Mage Novella
Forsworn: A Powder Mage Novella

4.0 out of 5 stars A story about Tamas wife (or Wife to be - ..., 23 July 2014
A story about Tamas wife (or Wife to be - its her early years). It also provides some insight into the mindsets and world of the Kez. Its a slow pace book, but benefits greatly by giving the extra information about the world.
There is certainly scope for another novella.

Explorer Brown Leather Bush Hat from Cotswold Country Hats (63cm XXL)
Explorer Brown Leather Bush Hat from Cotswold Country Hats (63cm XXL)

4.0 out of 5 stars Four Stars, 23 July 2014
An excellent product exactly described.

Half a King (Shattered Sea, Book 1)
Half a King (Shattered Sea, Book 1)

3.0 out of 5 stars Overall I enjoyed this book, 23 July 2014
Overall I enjoyed this book, but it lacks that certain something to say I really liked it. It is Joe Abercrombies first foray into YA. I believe he has the pace down to a tee, but I think the pace has been at the cost of world building.

The book started off at a slow, rather predictable pace. Unworthy prince becomes king, gets betrayed, becomes a slave, makes friends. Nothing to write home about here. Yarvi, our main character for this book, has a deformed left arm/hand - and is considered half a man in a very warrior centric civilisation.
The story picks up in the second half of the book. This is where the group of characters introduced while a slave start to bond. They are fairly average at this point - with the exception of 1 or 2. Yarvi becomes less annoying and i started to root for him.
The last part rescues this book. While there is nothing original in there, it is well written and the pace of it does grab you and you just want to read that extra chapter. Most of the plot points in the book are resolved, but a few are left open for the next book. I liked how it ended and i will get the next book to read.

As mentioned above, the pace of the book was fairly brisk. The book took us on a whistle stop tour of the area, and we never really got to know the places, people, customs of these areas. Hopefully this will be fleshed a lot more in the future books.

Overall this was a good enough read to continue with the series, but I wish Abercrombie would return to his trademark adult books rather than stick with the YA.

Servant of the Crown: A Powder Mage Novella
Servant of the Crown: A Powder Mage Novella

4.0 out of 5 stars When Erika met Tamas - with violence, 23 July 2014
I am a big fan of Brian McClellan's Powder Mage series. I have now read everything he has published for this series (and am awaiting more).

This novella tells the story of how Tamas met Erika. Obviously, there is a little more to it than just the usual meeting and falling in love. Privileged Mages from the Royal Cabal seems to be flexing their power and the King is not happy. He drags Tamas into the game, but not in the way the Cabal think. Tamas has a conflict with a Privileged which starts to get out of hand. Within this, Erika seeks out Tamas for training as a Power Mage. After initial hesitation, Tamas finally agrees.

Obviously Tamas and Erika get married as this was in the novels. The story was brief, fast paced and was an excellent story. Hopefully we will get another short bit of fiction before the next book on the series.