Profile for Mands > Reviews

Content by Mands

Mands

Page: 1 | 2
August DTA415 - Amplified Freeview TV Aerial - Indoor/Outdoor Digital Antenna with Signal Booster for USB TV Tuner / DVB-T Television / DAB Radio - With Screw Fix Wall Mount and Adhesive Pad

5.0 out of 5 stars Great value for money, 18 April 2016
Excellent tv aerial at a fantastic price, small and unobtrusive and gives a great picture with my Samsung blu-ray HDD box. Picks up all the HD and SD channels and works a treat. I find it works best with my samsung box, I bought this one so my LG oled tv could get it's own signal but I get a lot of pixellation/interference with it when using the tv's own tuner and this aerial. When I find a good spot it gives a lovely clear picture and it definitely finds all the channels. I haven't tried using the the signal booster yet so this may improve things - I suspect the issue is the tuner on the tv is not as good as the one on my samsung box

L.A. GIRL Matte Flat Velvet Lipstick - Poetic
L.A. GIRL Matte Flat Velvet Lipstick - Poetic
Offered by SONI HAIR & BEAUTY

4.0 out of 5 stars Lovely matt lipcolur, goes on well, 18 April 2016
Nice smell and creamy consistency, gives a nice even coverage and doesn't dry out lips like other matt lipsticks. Colour looked nice in photos but just didn't suit me unfortunately. Will definitely buy more colours from the range though.

L.A. GIRL Matte Flat Velvet Lipstick - Blue Valentine
L.A. GIRL Matte Flat Velvet Lipstick - Blue Valentine
Offered by Milk Honey

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely colour and even coverage, 18 April 2016
Really nice colour and creamy consistency, goes on smoothly and gives a nice even coverage unlike a lot of other matt lipsticks. Had a nice smell too.

Sing To The Moon
Sing To The Moon

5.0 out of 5 stars Utterly enchanting!, 5 April 2015
This review is from: Sing To The Moon (Audio CD)
Absolutely love this woman, the album is utterly enchanting. Words that spring to mind when I think of the songs are magical and enchanting, listening to songs like Can't Live Without You transport me to an enchanted, magical forest - simply beautiful. I first heard of Laura on the Graham Norton show with her Green Garden single which I absolutely loved. Listening to the snippets of the rest of the songs I wasn't sure if I'd like it as they seemed quite slow. But having listened to the whole album in full all I can say is WOW. This woman is awesome, my ears are met with a beautiful wall of sound and faultless layered harmonies, intricate instrumentation and powerful emotive singing reminscent of Nina Simone.

I can't recommend this album highly enough, so good to know there is still genuine talent out there.

Tomb Raider (Xbox 360)
Tomb Raider (Xbox 360)
Offered by PROGAMES

3.0 out of 5 stars Good fun but not Tomb Raider - bad times!, 28 Sept. 2014
Before playing this I had a little replay of Tomb Raider Anniversary and was excited to see what the new Tomb Raider had in store. I had read/heard about the reboot being more gritty and showing the evolution of Lara Croft so I was expecting a gritty storyline. What transpired however was something different entirely. I had been missing playing an old xbox game called Red Ninja which was a stealth based adventure with a female ninja so I was pleasantly surprised to find there was a stealth element to the game.

On the positive side I really enjoyed the storyline, Lara expressed believable emotion and I liked the other characters although they all seemed to die off rather quickly all sacrificing themselves for Lara. I liked the stealth element and QTE sequences and the way the game play almost seamlessly blended into the cutscenes (so much so I would be just watching and only realise after a few seconds that the control was back to me). I thought the story had pace, it was a rip roaring adventure and I was engrossed to find out what happened next. The graphics were beautiful to look at especally on an aging console, I felt bad to run from one place to another so took my time to really look around and enjoy the scenery.

On the negative side, having played Tomb Raider in all it's incarnations since 1996 this is not what I would class as a Tomb Raider game. I get that they were rebooting it but why depart so drastically from the core theme of the game? Where do I begin? Tomb raiding is now just a side mission. Speaking of which Lara Croft never used to have 'missions', she just explored, missions are for FPS games not Tomb Raider! The tomb raiding is very unsatisfactory as you don't really find artefacts just a map of the area and gain XP. Also the tomb puzzles are far too simple, no more wracking your brain for ages to try and figure them out, you don't even have to move any blocks, just a few leaps and climbs and you're done.

Although I liked the stealth aspect initially I wasn't sure how happy I was with it as it was too close to making Tomb Raider an FPS game - like we really need another one of those! I thought perhaps it was just an intial part of the game and normal service would resume shortly but no the you spend the whole game just shooting bad guys with a litte bit of collecting artefacts, documents and GPS caches. I thought maybe collecting the GPS caches would eventually lead to something but no you're just collecting them just for the sake of it - what the hell is a GPS cache anyway?

Some of the functionality of controlling Lara seemed to be missing. There was no more rolling or acrobatics or sprinting and she doesn't always automatically hang on to the edge of a platform if you step forwards. There were no underwater areas just knee to waist high wading. There has been a complete departure from the use of health packs instead there is no visible health meter you just die arbitrarily after taking too much damage. There's also a new system where you gain experience and skill points from killing enemies, animals and finding artefacts/boxes dotted around the island. These skill points and XP are then used to upgrade your weapons and abilities which seems a completely alien concept to Tomb Raider.

Everything about the game leans too much towards an FPS game rather than a true Tomb Raider adventure platform game. When I looked at the extra downloadable content it pretty much confirmed that the designers have essentially just made an FPS game with Lara Croft in it - a large part of the downloadables are guns and costumes from the Hitman game. What on earth made them think that Tomb Raider players would want guns from a completely different game series? Most of the downloadables are from Hitman with just a few alternativeTR costumes.

To add insult to injury they've tacked on a multiplayer online functionality as well. I tried this briefly out of curiosity and it's basically just like any other online FPS game where you are in teams and have to shoot each other/capture a radio. After dying several times on multiple tries from being shot by gamers I could not see anywhere literally seconds after respawning (yes dTombRaiderMan that means you!) I gave up in disgust as that is not what I play Tomb Raider for and it has no place on a Tomb Raider game as far as I'm concerned.

Then there are the game glitches, in one of the early tombs I spent ages trying to figure out how to solve it only to find it was how I expected just due to a glitch in the game I couldn't jump of the platform I was on to the wall I was meant to get to. I had to reload the game in order for this to work. Then in another tomb there was another glitch where the platform I was swinging would not swing high enough until I reloaded the save point.

In summary I did enjoy the game hence the 3 stars but trying to make it an FPS game, the multiplayer thing and the lack of decent puzzles left a bad taste in my mouth and I feel disappointed and slightly angry that one of the last true adventure games that I enjoyed has been ruined :(

Aurora NEW 6W GU10 LED Light Bulbs Bright White 4000k - 2 Year Guarantee - Perfect Size Retrofit

3.0 out of 5 stars Well made but not bright enough, 6 Feb. 2013
The bulb was well made and good quality but unfortunately it wasn't bright enough in comparison to the other LED bulbs I bought to trial. Plus the bulb itself was too long to fit into the ceiling recess and the spring holder would not stay in place to keep it in position so sending it back for a refund.

Stellar Sabatier 5.5" 14cm Cleaver
Stellar Sabatier 5.5" 14cm Cleaver

3.0 out of 5 stars A little disappointed, 10 Nov. 2012
The knife is very well made and looks the business, feels a little light in the hand. I was disappointed to find the blade was blunt, I would have thought it would have been sharp out of the box. Hopefully sharpening will rectify this.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 22, 2012 10:49 PM GMT

Head Jog Black Dino Salon Sectioning 4 Klipz
Head Jog Black Dino Salon Sectioning 4 Klipz

5.0 out of 5 stars Great quality and really useful, 23 Feb. 2012
These were about the cheapest I could find but are still great quality and very sturdy. Really grip the hair well and made strsightening my hair much less laborious as I was able to section it well with these clips.

Hask Argan Oil Healing Shine Treatment 5/8oz -18pk
Hask Argan Oil Healing Shine Treatment 5/8oz -18pk
Offered by annsbeautysupplies

5.0 out of 5 stars This stuff is great, 23 Feb. 2012
Bought this from my local hair store and it is great! The little vial lasts a long time, you only need about a 10 pence size amount to rub into the hair and it makes the hair super soft and shiny. A fraction of the price of the Macadamia oil and the same if not better results. I will be using this as a regular part of my hair maintenance routine.

Red Ninja: End of Honor (Xbox)
Red Ninja: End of Honor (Xbox)
Offered by total-gamer

5.0 out of 5 stars Bloody good romp!, 23 July 2011
I'm surprised this game has got such bad reviews, I guess if some people are used to playing other more advanced stealth games then perhaps it would suck for them. I LOVE this game, the visual styling is beautiful to look at. Kurenai the main character is beautiful to look at and the many ways of despatching the enemy are enjoyably gory, it never gets old luring soldiers to their bloody death, gives femme fatale a whole new meaning! The storyline is engaging, the pace is just right and there is a nice balance of adventure and combat. I've yet to finish playing it, drawing it out as I know there isn't a sequel. I wish they would port it to the xbox 360. Great game!
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 24, 2014 8:05 AM GMT

Page: 1 | 2