Profile for Lammtron > Reviews

Lammtron

Zero Waste Home: The Ultimate Guide to Simplifying Your Life
Zero Waste Home: The Ultimate Guide to Simplifying Your Life

5.0 out of 5 stars A refreshing, 20 Nov. 2013
I really enjoyed this book and how it made me stop and think. Too often the green movement forgets that a) hemp and tie-dye are not for everyone, b) people are busy and c) and an organic lifestyle seems too expensive to the average person. Bea hits the spot by showing how a green life can be time- and money-saving and stylish and I liked her humorous take on things. Some key points she makes are that recycling alone isn't really the answer that we need to cut down what comes into our homes ('refuse'), that when it comes to rubbish, there is no such thing as 'away' and that by hoarding items we are stopping them from being used by someone else. I do understand comments from other reviewers that some things are "US-centric' , e.g. if you're outside of London it is nigh impossible to buy food, apart from fruit and vegetables unpackaged and in 'bulk'. However it doesn't stop me looking for these things and the book has made me reassess how to cut down on packaging and disposables in the home. The take home message that memories not things are important certainly struck a chord in the approach to Christmas.

How To Be a Victorian
How To Be a Victorian

5.0 out of 5 stars Great read: if you enjoyed the TV series you'll love this, 17 Aug. 2013
I thoroughly enjoyed this book. I'm not usually a reader of this genre, but Ruth's lively prose kept me gripped. Books about monarchy and war are all well and good; but sometimes it's the little details of everyday life of ordinary folk that are the most fascinating.

To Die For: Is Fashion Wearing Out the World?
To Die For: Is Fashion Wearing Out the World?
by Lucy Siegle

5.0 out of 5 stars A real eye opener, 4 July 2011
I have been interested in ethical living for a long time- however my success with trying to source an 'ethical' wardrobe has always been a bit of a hit-and-miss affair. I knew about sweatshops, etc. but this book opened my eyes even further and has strengthened my resolve. Surprisingly perhaps for such a book, it turned out to be a real page-turner- and dare I say even made me laugh on occasion. Reassuringly, and importantly the tone not preachy in the slightest. However the message is clear; we can go on no longer, enough is enough and we as consumers have the power to change things for the better. Stirring stuff.