Profile for Digital-Finger > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9
AmazonBasics USB 2.0 8x DVD Writer External Optical Drive Black
AmazonBasics USB 2.0 8x DVD Writer External Optical Drive Black

3.0 out of 5 stars clunky but works ok, 15 Dec. 2013
all I have to say is that it works ok as long as you make sure you have pushed the drawer all the way in firmly. It is easy to think you have closed it up with the CD in but it doesn't work unless the drawer is shut with a bit of emphasis

Harman Kardon Soundsticks II - 3-Piece Plug and Play Multimedia Speaker System
Harman Kardon Soundsticks II - 3-Piece Plug and Play Multimedia Speaker System

3.0 out of 5 stars Still one of the best for the price, 8 Nov. 2013
I have had these a VERY long time (in fact they are probably version 1 not v2) and the soundsticks both split at the seam down the sides so you can get buzzing on certain sounds but held together with hair bands they still are perfectly useable. The bass is normally OK but too thumpy and toneless with reggae (especially if from radio). moving the bass to the desktop helps a little but not ideal. Move it around to find best sound

Overall though these are niggles that are nt a big deal unless you want to compare to much more expensive syatems

The soundsticks are very directional - they are designed for computer sound and that's where they work best, In fact properly set up they are absolutely brilliant, they can also be used for TV , they're OK, but really you need bigger speakers to fill a room.

Looking for a similar thing for my wife's computer I still suspect these are a good choice but what I will mostly be checking out is the bass as for certain types of music esp reggae I find it too much when listening late at night, where you want a lighter sound, i.e. even turning the equaliser in iTunes all the way down the bass is too strong, so it'd be nice if theere was soem adjustment available. For use in the kitchen certainly too bassy.

HOWEVERrrrr.. looking at the v 3 itteration it looks like they may have addressed these issues so I might get another pair!

However for the money there's many similar COMPUTER speakers perhaps, but I doubt there's any better, Im still reading reviews but they all have their problems ad I have basically been used to the quirks of these so may get another pair, they have certainly lasted!

Seagate  Barracuda 7200.12 1 TB Hard Drive, SATA, 7200 RPM, 32 MB Cache
Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 1 TB Hard Drive, SATA, 7200 RPM, 32 MB Cache

1.0 out of 5 stars D.E.A.D. AS A DODO, 7 Nov. 2013
can't remember if it is the dot 12 or dot 11 itteration

anyway it worked well for approx 3 yrs then died utterly and suddenly without any warning.

local expert can't retrieve anything at all from it, i.e. it is an ex-hd

moving on....

Sodastream Carbonating Bottles Limited Edition Twin Pack BPA Free Plastic Clear Green Each bottle holds 1 litre and measures 9 cm x 9 cm x 26 cm

1.0 out of 5 stars Poor quality, 3 Nov. 2013
Bought a few spares for our sodastream and one has a hole in te lid which leakes water, and another leakes due to a faulty seal

Reggae Tribute to Pink Floyd
Reggae Tribute to Pink Floyd
Offered by Fulfillment Express

3.0 out of 5 stars Middle of the road, 10 Jun. 2013
Pink Flloyd's music was adventurous - this isn't - it is the opposite, it's safe and middle of the road versions.

Having said that, even as a long time PF fan, I enjoyed some of the tracks, though I particularly disliked others.

CONS: Mother + Another brick in the wall just don't work out of their home environment at all and sound awful.

PROS: Echoes, despite my initial reservations, grew on me as did another couple of tracks on this where actually the musicianship is pretty damn good, good enough to really get into,so it's not ALL bad.

Mostly driving and housecleaning music though than 'head' music.

RedRam by Icebreaker Men's Short Sleeve Thermal Underwear Top
RedRam by Icebreaker Men's Short Sleeve Thermal Underwear Top

4.0 out of 5 stars Best base layers on the planet, 3 Feb. 2013
I agree with Bobmle's review except I find that it DOES dry as fast as synthetics (that would be of the same level of warmth insulation).

I find merino generally warmer but and less inclined to encourage sweating than synthetics and faster drying. i.e. it is all round more comfortable and all round works better IMO than any synthetics - and this is from someone who sweats a LOT.

If working hard in cool weather ( i.e. cold but above zero) my preferred set up is (under a waterproof jacket) a full sleeve superfine ultralite icebreaker merino with a superfine lite short sleeve on top. IF below freezing I'll wear the 260 long sleeve layer on top of the short sleeve.

I have never found any material that works all round as well as merino. Never wear anything else since discovering it

My only criticism is that it can develop small holes. This was, according to the shop I bought it from, due to the weave they used previously. They have apparently changed the weave so this no longer happens. All my merinos (tops and leggings) developed small holes but I didn't pay much attention to it initially so some of them got too big so they looked like a tear( the superfine ones turned into big holes faster than the 260 probably because I wore them more.) The 260 top I had with holes was replaced free of charge by icebreaker, so my advice is that if they develop holes return them quickly to get a replacement.

No Title Available

4.0 out of 5 stars Why is this boot such a secret?, 18 Jan. 2013
If you have wide feet and have had already had trouble finding boots that are comfortable, then check these out.

I have wide feet but narrow (normal, not chubby) heels. I tried EVERY single boot offered as wide (including Altberg's etc) by ALL the shops here in Norwich, ( including Cotswolds Shop who APPEARED to have good knowledge of what's avalable), but not one of them could find a boot wide enough for my feet. For some reason these 'comfort fit ' boots are a secret! Why none of the shops know about them is a complete mystery to me. I must be the only person in the whole of East Anglia with wide feet, if the local shops' knowledge is anything to go by.

I came across these in the lake district on holiday in a small independent shop, but as it was the last day and we were in a rush to get home I didnt have time to try them properly, so when I got home I asked a local shop to get them in so I could try them but they told me they were non returnable, i.e. buy them or don't, your choice. I wish now I had got them from Amazon as I have since found their returns policy to be exceptional.

Anyway I took the plunge and am glad I did. These are the ONLY boots that fit my feet for width, and I highly recommend them. Meindl's site gives a little more info about them but basically they are wider at the widest part of your foot, but not at the heel, although the 'memory foam' accomodates different shaped feet pretty well.

These are the first and only hiking boots that have EVER been comfortable for a wide footed fellow like me. (I never wore shoes as kid so they aren't all scrunched up )

Minor grumbles, the tongue of left boot was uncomfortable for quite a while and there's a small area on the internal heel seam that is slightly uncomfortable. One star deducted for this and for the high price.

I haven't tried these on full day hikes yet but have broken them in for a month or two with 2 hour walks and they are definitely very comfortable except for the small niggles mentioned.

From Oz to Kansas: Almost Every Black and White Conversion Technique Known to Man (Voices That Matter)
by Vincent Versace

3.0 out of 5 stars Useful but could be laid out better, 18 Dec. 2012
As other reviewers have pointed out VV knows his stuff: the book is chock-a-block with technique, theory, wise quotes and philosophy. The techniques are explained in minute detail as are the whys and wherefores. And for me therein lies the rub, and I do think there needs to be some down to earth counterpoint to all the glowing accolades here. I found it needed too much effort to get past the deep and meaningful stuff that I was left feeling that there must be an easier way to glean the meat of the technical know-how.

I had a similar problem with his previous book, and as detailed and intricate as this one is, there are only so many hours in the day and it will take quite a few to sift through that much information presented this way. Some of it looks like slightly pretentious padding or a self justifying attempt to set himself above other writers on technique.

If you want to read a book on how to be true to your own vision, or how important it is to dare to experiment, or what Albert Einstein had to say that's (just about) relevant, or to see any more of the sort of quotes that are found so ubiquitously on Facebook (and eagerly illustrated with VVs personal philosophy) then you might enjoy those digressions, but frankly George DeWolfe does it much more succinctly and less intrusively in his book on printing.

If you are in fact interested in the philosophy of the thing I recommend the likes of Roland Barthes, Susan Sontag, John Berger or any of the many others who devote whole books or essays to the subject rather than interspersing it with distracting techniques, and who do it far more justice.

Obviously what he's trying to emphasise here is that technique alone is not enough, and you need to know when to apply what technique etc, but if you're buying a book subtitled 'almost every black and white conversion technique known to man' then any of that stuff should be superfluous or self-evident.

He does explain in detail how to use techniques which certainly are useful, but I question whether, once the veneer and waffle is stripped out from this book, it is any different to any other on the topic. I don't think it is. Nor do I think he fulfills his claims: there are other methods which he doesn't mention, AFAICS, the most useful of which IMO is a method taught by Martin Henson, who doesn't have a book but does have a DVD and who is refreshingly unpretentious and down to earth) There's only one technique ( the last one) I didn't know in the book, which is enough to make it worthwhile for me, but the rest could still have been enjoyable were it not so ponderous. Also Jeff Schewe's teaches a different method in his book the digital negative, even though it is very close to the last one VV teaches.

Frankly I could do without all the philosophy and theory and would rather have just the nitty gritty in a a more accessible form, though I appreciate that all the info in there is basically good info - but I can't help wondering whether there might have been a way to separate the theory and philosophy from the practical aspects. Probably not, if VV was going doing it.

Perhaps I would prefer this info to be presented in an alternative medium like a DVD (Video), where you could pick chapters stripped of the theory and philosophy, I do understand that the style of this book is integral to his personal vision and that it has its place; Im not arguing that it shouldn't be there at all, just that in the book the techniques feel weighed down rather than expedited by the theory and philosophy and notes and asides.

I found the screenshots too small to read, fortunately I know what they refer to already but someone new to this might find it very irritating. Also he really should get a better proofreader.

I do admire VVs work and his expertise so as far as this book's concerned it could be said simply that his writing style just isn't for me and leave it at that, I accept he does have a lot of really good technical know how in there too, and the book is worth it for that; I just question though whether it couldn't be presented in a more digestible form. I would still recommend it though but with the above reservations.

NB:
The download page is hard to find if you miss it first time. In the book he gives the link for downloads (one assumes at the time) as his website - so that's where I expected to find the downloads page - but no - you have to subscribe, which APPEARS to be about providing you access to the site and (you assume) the content mentioned in the book, and yes the email confirmation will then grant you access to his site, but whoa - you just missed it!

Thus looking on his site for the downloads is frustrating as not only is the link to the downloads not there, (AFAICS) but the link on his site- to his new book -doesn't work, it takes you instead to his old books. The text for the links is tiny- so I tried it four times just in case I had missed the url they are so tiny.

Go back to the confirmation email for subscribing and check out the link at the bottom of the subscription confirmation. THAT ids where the downloads page is hidden. Great if you like games but not so much fun otherwise.

Also much of his site appears to be Flash based and Vincent appears to be using a Mac (in the book) so you'd think he'd know better than have his site Flash based.
This probably doesn't matter that much in the event, as I doubt the free plug-ins will work on a PPC Mac and the actions I can create myself easily enough, but it is frustrating that the link in the book for downloads is not clear or specific enough
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 31, 2012 12:34 AM GMT

Otherland: River Of Blue Fire: River of Blue Fire Bk. 2
Otherland: River Of Blue Fire: River of Blue Fire Bk. 2
by Tad Williams

4.0 out of 5 stars Bit of a Classic, 15 Nov. 2012
I read this book first and read the first, third and fourth in the series afterwards. This is my favourite.
There are elements in here that are as good as the master of all sci-fi Gene Wolfe.
In fact one of my all time favourite Sci-fi novels, one that I'm keeping to reread again in a year or so

others have said the rest