Profile for Digital-Finger > Reviews

Minor White
Minor White
by Martineau

5.0 out of 5 stars Very pleased with it, 6 Aug. 2014
This review is from: Minor White (Hardcover)
As others have said, and in fact as it says in the book: long overdue.

It is a mystery why such an important figure, up there with Weston, Stieglitz, Callahan etc should have been omitted for so long.

The quality and content do justice to his work and his memory and you can't ask for more than that. I have been waiting an age for this book to be created- finally it is here. Very pleased with it.

The Hyperion Omnibus: Hyperion, The Fall of Hyperion (GOLLANCZ S.F.)
The Hyperion Omnibus: Hyperion, The Fall of Hyperion (GOLLANCZ S.F.)
by Dan Simmons

4.0 out of 5 stars Beware the Jabberwock, my son! The jaws that bite, the claws that catch!, 31 July 2014
Firstly let me state that I really enjoyed this book. Not for one moment did I reach the point where it risked being thrown in the bin, which I mention because it's not uncommon, I'm an intolerant, quickly bored reader easily moved to belligerence. Thus many a book that starts well ends up unceremoniously thrown in the bin if it springs major transgressions on me. Life is just too short to wade through books that are over-paced, predictable, clichéd or too far out of genre.

I prefaced my review with that because there is one point in the book around page 288 where I started to wonder whether it was going to go downhill fast after a brilliant start, i.e. was it going to change to sfi-fantasy from sci-fi? Yes at one point, I half expected it to wander off into Tad Williams 'Otherland' style, which is fine in its place but this book isn't that place.

However it redeemed itself and I continued

On finishing the book I would say despite some slight reservations I did actually very much enjoy it. It managed not (quite) to delve far into fantasy over sci-fi , and the premise behind the story didn't atually seem too far fetched for sci-fi, in my view. In fact flaming clever considering when it was written. The plot alone must (as with all time twisting plots) have taken considerable thought and planning, I'll certainly give him credit for that.

By the end of the book it is clear he's referenced the classics in both characterisations and themes, but he makes no bones about that and ultimately he brings a spiralling sci-fi theme very much back home to human feelings. Towards the end he borders on moralising a little, but what sci-fi doesn't in one way or another, and risks a close shave with schmaltz, but by then because it is an extremely well crafted story, you'll forgive him almost anything?

As I said , I really enjoyed it, despite a slight concern at one point, and so would thouroughly recommend that it be on your reading list.....and the Shrike, so conceived, is a classic malevolent archetype that lurks in your subconscious long after the end..

Severian of the Guild: Shadow of TheTorturer; Claw of The Conciliator;  Sword of The Lictor; Citadel of The Autarch: With Shadow of the Torturer AND ... AND Citadel of the Autarch (GOLLANCZ S.F.)
Severian of the Guild: Shadow of TheTorturer; Claw of The Conciliator; Sword of The Lictor; Citadel of The Autarch: With Shadow of the Torturer AND ... AND Citadel of the Autarch (GOLLANCZ S.F.)

5.0 out of 5 stars My all time favourite sci-fi book(s), 15 May 2014
I have only read sci-fi all my life from the earliest years (never read kids books, my dad had shelves of "Astounding (Sci-fi)" and 'Galaxy" magazines) but I can't remember one I enjoyed more than this by Gene Wolfe

Other's have said pretty much all that needs to be said - I would simply endorse their accolades

The Fifth Head of Cerberus (S.F. MASTERWORKS)
The Fifth Head of Cerberus (S.F. MASTERWORKS)

5.0 out of 5 stars ingenious but potentially baffling, 15 May 2014
This book doesn't give a neatly tied up bundle for an ending, (or does it?) which threw me as, for reasons of tradition I suppose, I thought that was what was coming, at least I had built that expectation myself from the narrative. Several times throughout the reading of it I found myself wondering what was going on, but I'm used to that from sci-fi novels and so stayed with it; easy really as the writing is so good and as the author always did have a way of convincing you the world he put you in was real.

This is a book that I need to read again, if only to dismiss that vague suspicion I was left with that perhaps I had missed something.. I read a lot of sci-fi (in fact pretty much exclusively) and have read all Gene Wolfe's other books, so accepting that the reader is sometimes challenged, played with or downright tricked is par for the course, nonetheless this was the only book I was still unsure about after reading it; not in the way we are sometimes left with an acceptable ambiguity, nor in the way we are sometimes just left with a cop out, but more in the way of whether or not I had actually 'got' it at all (this experience may or may not be a good thing, depending on one's mood and expectations at the time). However if I did get it then It takes one of the oldest ideas in sci-fi, retells it in Gene Wolfe style, and extends it, puts a twist on it and leaves you with the possible far-reaching and stunning implications.

I certainly had hoped though that the story would somewhere, even if codified, present a concrete explanation for why Cerberus specifically had a fifth head, rather then a fourth, sixth or seventh, but I think (unless a second reading changes my view) that the title is more of a joke than a clue. Or perhaps the title's allusion to the underworld/hades hopes to imply that the narrative is by way of euhemerism, a tongue-in-cheek ploy to reinforce the idea that the story is based on an authentic history.

But then I would say that, wouldn't it?
;)

Bose ® Soft Cover for SoundLink ® Mini - Blue
Bose ® Soft Cover for SoundLink ® Mini - Blue

5.0 out of 5 stars Great sound for such a wee thingy, 11 May 2014
took me a few seconds to work out the right way to put it on , but once you suss that it is easy

worth protecting thelovely little Bose speaker

Harry Callahan
Harry Callahan
by Harry Callahan

5.0 out of 5 stars Exquisite reproduction, 11 April 2014
This review is from: Harry Callahan (Hardcover)
One of the most important things for me when buying a book about a photographers work, that's an absolute must, is that it shows their work at its absolute best, and this book does that, the reproductions, especially the colour , are exquisite.

Nothing disappoints me more than a book with colour reproduction that's mediocre ( like the Books on Joel Meyerowitz's work). So as this book has got it right and there are plenty of his images and the overall quality including the cover, is top notch: this book gets four stars for that alone. (one commentator was disappointed with the reproduction - in the copy I have it is exceptionally good)

The essays and text are fine, but to have been perfect I would have liked two things. 1- that the space taken up with the German version of the text (one side of each page shared with English text ) had been instead more English text going into more detail and depth about his life. What is there is good but it feels like a synopsis, you get to know the man but I feel there could be more interesting anecdotes or stories that illustrate his character; perhaps it is the way the book gets me so interested in Callahan himself that makes me want to know more.

One other commentator said (to paraphrase) that he felt Callahan was old hat. That's a bit like saying any of the old masters are old hat. I find his work exhilarating still, also you can see where many of his students got their influence. There are also stylistic echoes from Egglestone, Shore, and others that followed

Overall I love this book and am very happy with it, I'm also very pleased to have so much of his colour work here, much of it I'd not seen before, whereas most of his mono work I had seen before. It is certainly the best by a good margin of all of the books on Callahan that I have seen and one of those 'must have' books

Early Color (New Edition)
Early Color (New Edition)
by Saul Leiter

4.0 out of 5 stars Lovely printing quality with plenty of images - but......... in FRENCH, 23 Mar. 2014
I really love the matt printing of these lyrical colour images in this book , it has a real 'feel' to it. The book isn't large but neither is it tiddly and is a nice thickness to satisfy in the hand, the colour images are beautifully printed in matt, which is unusual and really suits these images. The style of the book very much compliments the style of the photography

there's plenty of images too, I was expecting less, they have a lovely soft poetic feel to them, his use of colour is reminiscent of Haas or Egglestone and his compositions reminiscent of Friedlander ( amongst others), some of his images could have been taken by any of those, Im guessing he was from the same generation

Be warned that the essay (only) at the front of the book is in French. Rest of the text is English. So be careful which version you order - it does say French in the descriptor but it was small and is easily overlooked ( as I did). The French version is about HALF the price though of teh English version, and about a quarter the price of the older editions, so for me , Im putting up with the essay being in French to say the money

very much a book Id recommend
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 31, 2014 10:13 PM BST

Return to the Whorl (Book of the Short Sun)
Return to the Whorl (Book of the Short Sun)
by Gene Wolfe

5.0 out of 5 stars This is not about the 'sci-fi' in this sci-fi, it is about the quaiity of the writing, 13 Mar. 2014
Gene Wolfe writes this as a sci-fi novel but it wouldn't have mattered if it was set in Basingstoke in 2014, his writing would still enthrall you.

I have read this before a few years ago, but am rereading and savouring every word. In fact Im enjoying it even more second time round, it deserves to be read at amore leisurely pace, sure it is sci-fi but that's not what is special about it, it is the atmosphere he conjures..it's like going to a play and being completely drawn in, just brilliant writing
Love it

SureFlap Microchip Cat Flap - Brown
SureFlap Microchip Cat Flap - Brown
Offered by Online Pet Doors

4.0 out of 5 stars Great idea but it doesn't really work, 10 Mar. 2014
We certainly struggled getting our cat to use it as initially thecatch didn't seem to unlock early enough I think the cat must have been just trying to use it's paw without putting its head near enough. We got there in the end though
Comment Comments (5) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 18, 2014 12:01 PM GMT

Epiphany of the Long Sun: The Second Half of the Book of the Long Sun
Epiphany of the Long Sun: The Second Half of the Book of the Long Sun

5.0 out of 5 stars It doesn't get better than this, 23 Feb. 2014
I have read a LOT of sci-fi and IMO Gene Wolfe's Short and Long sun series are as good as it gets, certainly good as any sci-fi book I have ever read, I enjoyed them more than any other , but thats hard to say possibly as if you are reading a really absorbing, immersively written book then that;s the one you rmemeber best, still, its a long time since I fell into another world so convincingly.

yes some of them require a bit of work or patience on the part of the reader, perhaps this one more than the others but that's a game you realise you have entered into with the writer, he is watching you as you read, or his spirit feels like it might be, it's a little challenge he might have set us, but I love that - sink into it, go along with it, you will be rewarded by being transported to an environment you never want to leave, because as an observer, you are safe.

absolutely loved this (and the rest) and was sad when I had finished them.

I went on to read everything I could find by him after but these are his best

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9